PDA

View Full Version : The king is dead, long live the king

nw6pie
05-01-2024, 04:05 PM
So, now that we’ve been put out of our misery comes the fun part: guessing who our next boss will be.

Thankfully the Reedtz got us off the managerial roundabout of appointing journeyman managers, so it’s nigh-on impossible to predict who the next head coach will be.

For no logical reason, I think we might go continental - maybe a Danish coach? Going to be a fun ride, and thankfully there’s no game tomorrow so we have a bit of time. Can’t imagine we’ll have someone in place by the Grimsby game, but maybe Stockport on the 20th?

JoePass
05-01-2024, 04:13 PM
So, now that we’ve been put out of our misery comes the fun part: guessing who our next boss will be.

Thankfully the Reedtz got us off the managerial roundabout of appointing journeyman managers, so it’s nigh-on impossible to predict who the next head coach will be.

For no logical reason, I think we might go continental - maybe a Danish coach? Going to be a fun ride, and thankfully there’s no game tomorrow so we have a bit of time. Can’t imagine we’ll have someone in place by the Grimsby game, but maybe Stockport on the 20th?

If he signs a contract and sticks by it, he will get my vote.

irishpete
05-01-2024, 04:14 PM
Don't think there is any point guessing. No one got the last 2. Hope Durham keeps quiet this time😂

Old_pie
05-01-2024, 04:29 PM
Think outside the box:

The king is dead, long live the Queen.:D

WarsopPie
05-01-2024, 04:36 PM

Bo Svensson is Danish, plays the same style as LW too.

durhampie
05-01-2024, 04:48 PM
Don't think there is any point guessing. No one got the last 2. Hope Durham keeps quiet this time��

On Flight Radar 24 this morning a privately owned lear jet landed at EMA from Denmark..

irishpete
05-01-2024, 05:00 PM
On Flight Radar 24 this morning a privately owned lear jet landed at EMA from Denmark..

It's not the same jet that landed during Munto?😂😂

Elite_Pie
05-01-2024, 05:04 PM

I love it how you suddenly find a bit of morality in this case, but fully supported a Prime Minister who spent his whole career lying and cheating!

Davy500
05-01-2024, 05:05 PM

Im not really bothered tbh.
As i have said many times its the owners and their blue print that have laed to success. I think LW benefited from a really good set up, he had no hand in signing the players that ultimately got us promotion, ie Langstaff and Scotts 60 goals, even average managers can motivate very good players quite easily. Also LW form recently has not been great, could he have sorted it out, we will never know.
Seems like Notts County have raised the profile of rookie managers, first Burchnall and now Williams
That being said fair play to LW, he was never going to turn down an opputunity to manage a club like Swansea and i wish him well. and as far as Notts are concerned, the owners will find another Coach to lead the team and blueprint, and players they have chosen

tommopie8
05-01-2024, 05:13 PM
I love it how you suddenly find a bit of morality in this case, but fully supported a Prime Minister who spent his whole career lying and cheating!

He's like a broken record except both sides are the same. Sure he'd never call for Notts to break a contract of a manager if they had lost 10 on the bounce...

I personally would like the brothers to shelf their long term vision plans until May - use the compensation to attract someone of established calibre that has a presence on a short term deal incentivised by promotion.

It's going to be a whole lot easier this season than without Langstaff and McGoldrick another year older.

Who that is? I'm sure I don't know. I certainly won't qualm if it's an U23 coach making a step up or someone from lower down the pyramid. Just think there's still half a season and about 17 other teams would swap places with us in the league. Momentum is everything and if someone comes in and doesn't impress the players I can see this season fizzling out awfully quickly.

hissingdwarf
05-01-2024, 05:15 PM
He's like a broken record except both sides are the same. Sure he'd never call for Notts to break a contract of a manager if they had lost 10 on the bounce...

I personally would like the brothers to shelf their long term vision plans until May - use the compensation to attract someone of established calibre that has a presence on a short term deal incentivised by promotion.

It's going to be a whole lot easier this season than without Langstaff and McGoldrick another year older.

Who that is? I'm sure I don't know. I certainly won't qualm if it's an U23 coach making a step up or someone from lower down the pyramid. Just think there's still half a season and about 17 other teams would swap places with us in the league. Momentum is everything and if someone comes in and doesn't impress the players I can see this season fizzling out awfully quickly.

A good call. Won’t ever happen, but the thought did occur to me with the idea of a Martin Allen type manager on a short term, get us hard to beat and keep collecting points.

More likely to be a reserve coach who is promising etc…

cher1
05-01-2024, 05:47 PM

Does it work both ways? So even if we have a manager who fails we should keep him for the entire duration of his contact?

nw6pie
05-01-2024, 06:07 PM
Some great research work here by Tom Williams on a few possible candidates:

https://twitter.com/tomhwilliams23/status/1743306180783485363

And re the manager honouring his contract, that’s the price we’re paying for success. It’s frustrating, but it’s still a better option than having to keep firing rubbish managers. The worry, of course, is that we got a rare gem in LW and may not be quite so lucky next time (he definitely had something to prove at Notts, which worked in both our favours).

legs77
05-01-2024, 06:17 PM
Does it work both ways? So even if we have a manager who fails we should keep him for the entire duration of his contact?

Exactly I said this the other night but of course not.

Get treble your money, move higher job and closer to home.....yeah loads would say no to that.

Loyalty makes me laugh when that gets said as we know it doesnt really happen in footy !

Old_pie
05-01-2024, 06:59 PM
Think outside the box:

Even Paul Mace acknowledged (with a laugh) this possibility. Sarina Wiegman anyone?

legs77
05-01-2024, 07:01 PM
Even Paul Mace acknowledged (with a laugh) this possibility. Sarina Wiegman anyone?

Its a laugh for sure as she is probably on £1m a year at a guess !

Magpike
05-01-2024, 07:06 PM
Think outside the box:

Wheres the bloke darlin’ lol

magpie_mania
05-01-2024, 07:11 PM
Its a laugh for sure as she is probably on £1m a year at a guess !

Very widely reported as £400K.

Elite_Pie
05-01-2024, 07:23 PM

I don't remember Soccerman complaining about not honouring contracts when we sacked Fullarton. Imagine having to put up with him for two years or whatever it was just because it was the decent thing to do!

And didn't Hardy say he wanted to sign Harry Kewell on a five year deal?

SwalePie
05-01-2024, 07:26 PM
I don't remember Soccerman complaining about not honouring contracts when we sacked Fullarton. Imagine having to put up with him for two years or whatever it was just because it was the decent thing to do!

And didn't Hardy say he wanted to sign Harry Kewell on a five year deal?

Well cheers for those reminders Elite. The cat's crying now.

JoePass
05-01-2024, 07:56 PM

I would rather have Joey Barton.

Elite_Pie
05-01-2024, 08:02 PM

A fond reminder of your "shouldn't you be doing the ironing love" response to any female poster!

Thankfully the rest of the world has moved on.

marky
05-01-2024, 08:11 PM

You don't seriously mean that.

magpie_mania
05-01-2024, 08:13 PM
You don't seriously mean that.

He probably does.

Chicken Balti Pie
05-01-2024, 08:19 PM
This might be a bit left field but as a head coach, Steve Cottrell? Since his hospitalisation, he probably wouldn't be against a lighter workload of the role Notts offer, not sure he plays the exact type of football the owners want though

Kent Magpie
05-01-2024, 08:22 PM
I would prefer someone who has something to prove, who is building a career rather than someone who has been there, done that.

BigFatPie
05-01-2024, 08:39 PM
I think we were all a bit sceptical about Williams when he came in, hence the boos at that game against Chesterfield, the good thing is that whoever it is will get some patience because everyone now knows the people in charge know what they’re doing.

One would imagine there’s going to be a very long queue of very qualified coaches applying for it.

JoePass
05-01-2024, 09:18 PM
A fond reminder of your "shouldn't you be doing the ironing love" response to any female poster!

And left the likes of you miles behind.

jackal2
05-01-2024, 09:21 PM
This might be a bit left field but as a head coach, Steve Cottrell? Since his hospitalisation, he probably wouldn't be against a lighter workload of the role Notts offer, not sure he plays the exact type of football the owners want though

Obviously well regarded here at Notts after his previous promotion achievements, but I suspect not likely to play the style of football we now have as our firm identity. I wouldn't be against him, I just think the vision of the current owners is different from the one back then.

JoePass
05-01-2024, 09:22 PM

And left you wokes miles behind.

Elite_Pie
05-01-2024, 09:33 PM
And left the likes of you miles behind.

Or miles ahead as I see it!

uysapie
05-01-2024, 09:44 PM

Really?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/67897623

Elite_Pie
05-01-2024, 09:59 PM
Really?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/67897623

That article is headlined:

Joey Barton: ITV criticises 'vindictive remarks' from ex-footballer towards female commentators

Soccerman would see that as a huge positive.

MAD_MAGPIE
06-01-2024, 12:09 AM
I think we were all a bit sceptical about Williams when he came in, hence the boos at that game against Chesterfield, the good thing is that whoever it is will get some patience because everyone now knows the people in charge know what they’re doing.

One would imagine there’s going to be a very long queue of very qualified coaches applying for it.

Yes and much like Luke Williams went from a beggar to a chooser so are Notts now as the new head coach needs to fit the club rather than the club adjust to fit them. Ok so we might be in League Two but it's a far more attractive job than the last time we were in the EFL.

SmiffyPie
06-01-2024, 01:38 AM
The last thing we need is someone off the failed manager carousel. Someone fresh with new and progressive ideas please. Someone that isn't scared of failing before they even get interviewed.

Woodypie
06-01-2024, 01:38 AM
This might be a bit left field but as a head coach, Steve Cottrell? Since his hospitalisation, he probably wouldn't be against a lighter workload of the role Notts offer, not sure he plays the exact type of football the owners want though Good grief!

queenslandpie
06-01-2024, 03:09 AM
My bet is it will be someone most posters know almost nothing about. It's almost guaranteed based on the last 2 appointments. Of course there will be the usual applicants, failed managers etc. Genuinely interested to get estimates at how much compo we got and has it been paid?!

jackal2
06-01-2024, 11:27 AM
My bet is it will be someone most posters know almost nothing about.

That would be my bet too. The appointment will be based on detailed background research and getting the best available talent for the best possible value, rather than appointing a big/known name to get a headline and a short-term ego boost.

Of course, Jamie Fullarton wasn't exactly a heralded coach when he was appointed manager, but somehow I don't think our next appointment will be chosen by the chairman's missus on the basis of a Powerpoint presentation! ;D

JoePass
06-01-2024, 12:21 PM
That article is headlined:

Joey Barton: ITV criticises 'vindictive remarks' from ex-footballer towards female commentators

Soccerman would see that as a huge positive.

;D