PDA

View Full Version : New manager

Pages : [1] 2 3

irish_pie
06-01-2024, 10:17 AM
OK so the dust is settling now and LW has gone to pastures new... I had a look at the latest manager odds and some scary ones in there...who do you guys think or hope for? I saw John Eustace at 10/1 and Gareth Ainsworth also at 10/1... either for me would be a decent punt.

Woodypie
06-01-2024, 10:24 AM
John Sheridan is available! It will be a mystery person we have never heard of.

Chicken Balti Pie
06-01-2024, 10:24 AM
OK so the dust is settling now and LW has gone to pastures new... I had a look at the latest manager odds and some scary ones in there...who do you guys think or hope for? I saw John Eustace at 10/1 and Gareth Ainsworth also at 10/1... either for me would be a decent punt.

Wouldn't mind John Eustace but not sure that there is a reasonable chance of that happening

Notts78
06-01-2024, 10:26 AM

I’d stay away from the bookies on this one. Our last 2 managerial appointments were so left field that they didn’t appear in betting odds until it was practically a done deal.
Whoever comes in will be under pressure and the shadow of LW. It will be a tough gig.
I hope we somehow have a man in place before Grimsby. It gives him a little time before a tough run, but more importantly a chance to look at the squad and discuss any glaring gaps. Particularly if he wants to move away from 3 at the back.

OP67
06-01-2024, 10:26 AM
As we know it'll not be anyone from any of the betting lists, luckily.

Gareth Ainsworth, bit early to be drinking innit? XD

irish_pie
06-01-2024, 10:30 AM
John Sheridan is available! It will be a mystery person we have never heard of.

Which could be a good thing in fairness, a lot of names on there who send a shiver down my spine... LW was a complete unknown (well by me anyway) and did an amazing job... it could be an under 21 coach from some Premier or championship club, I trust the good brothers are doing their homework... sad to see Luke go but a little excited that a new guy can come in and sort out that porous defense.

irish_pie
06-01-2024, 10:30 AM

The whiskey I got for Christmas is going down well pal 😊

queenslandpie
06-01-2024, 11:10 AM
Interesting point to note is that around 8 years ago we employed Jamie Fullarton as first team manager on the acknowledged basis of an impressive power point presentation. He is now a PE teacher at Ackworth School according to Wikipedia. It's definitely been an interesting ride the last few years. Sometimes a sense of perspective is required!

jackal2
06-01-2024, 11:13 AM

Both good managers.

Ainsworth did a tremendous job for many years at Wycombe, and Eustace's sacking by Birmingham was a disgrace and a travesty.

HOWEVER, I think a point made on the Magpie Circle podcast last night was a valid one. The owners will probably be looking for a 'Head Coach' who meets (at least) two fairly non-negotiable criteria:

1. Must believe in the playing the kind of attractive, passing football that has become our 'identity', particularly under Burchnall and Williams
2. Must be willing to accept that recruitment is a collective decision, not the sole preserve of the 'manager'

That will possibly rule out several notable/experienced names who are being mentioned in dispatches, but who perhaps would demand more freedom to change the style and sign "their own" players.

Recent history might point towards the appointment of another relatively young and possibly unheralded modern-thinking coach who understands and accepts these criteria, and the idea that they are a 'Head Coach' rather than a 'Manager'. Based on the evidence so far, this has been far more successful than the 'traditional' approach we saw in the past, where managers chopped and changed, the team/club struggled to find its identity, and recruitment was a complete basket-case.

The_Don_ORiordan
06-01-2024, 12:34 PM
Only from a bit of gossip from a friend who works with Brentford but Neil MacFarlane has apparently been approached by a club currently without a manager. Don’t know if it’s Notts or not but he sort of fits the mold from what I’ve googled. One to throw into the mix as a bit left field. I would think he’s paid more than Notts would offer though even as an under 21 coach!

PedroTheFisherman66
06-01-2024, 12:48 PM
Maybe we might be going continental this time.?

jackal2
06-01-2024, 12:51 PM

Aye but which continent? Radar have eyes everywhere!

Better than going incontinent, which I think we did with some of our manager choices under previous owners!

WarsopPie
06-01-2024, 12:53 PM
Only from a bit of gossip from a friend who works with Brentford but Neil MacFarlane has apparently been approached by a club currently without a manager. Don’t know if it’s Notts or not but he sort of fits the mold from what I’ve googled. One to throw into the mix as a bit left field. I would think he’s paid more than Notts would offer though even as an under 21 coach!

Hope not my brother in law played under him at Kidderminster says his tactics are awful but he’s a nice guy.
Maynard now 2/1 fav.

Iremongersrighthand
06-01-2024, 12:53 PM
I would be surprised if any of the names mentioned as a replacement for LW would be on the Bros list. They tend to go for an unknown who is happy to buy into their football philosophy. Did anyone of us know who IB or Luke Williams was before they came here? Were they on 'our' list of potential managers?

magpie_mania
06-01-2024, 12:59 PM
Stuart Maynard favourite at the moment.

Interesting take on the NL - not sure I agree with him.

'Wealdstone manager Stuart Maynard believes the Vanarama National League has never been more competitive or challenging - even with Wrexham and Notts County long gone'

the_anticlough
06-01-2024, 01:10 PM

'Wealdstone manager Stuart Maynard believes the Vanarama National League has never been more competitive or challenging - even with Wrexham and Notts County long gone'

He would say that when they're sitting 12th with 11 clubs ahead of them.

TSANHO
06-01-2024, 01:46 PM

For no particular reason Ive got that feeling too. Lots of young modern coaches in America at the minute. People like IB and the ilk in Scandinavia as well. The guy at Brighton as well?

Doubt we’ll have heard of the new guy until the last minute!

CheltenhamPie
06-01-2024, 02:26 PM
For no particular reason Ive got that feeling too. Lots of young modern coaches in America at the minute. People like IB and the ilk in Scandinavia as well. The guy at Brighton as well?

Doubt we’ll have heard of the new guy until the last minute!
I hope the last minute comes very soon.

marky
06-01-2024, 02:46 PM
Hope we're not gonna end up like Oxford, they lost their manager a few weeks ago then faffed around for over a week before appointing a bloke who's barely won a game yet.

LaxtonLad
06-01-2024, 03:09 PM
Whoever gets the job they will find a very capable attack and midfield already in place so if he/she/it knows what a defence is and how to shape and organise one he/she/it'll do for me.

the_anticlough
06-01-2024, 03:12 PM
Like many others, I'm confident the bros will appoint just like they did with IB and LW - so no point speculating on anybody in that case.

I'll just add one caveat - ideally it will be someone able to maintain our momentum from the promotion as well as ticking the boxes for playing identity and concentration on coaching duties. Upward momentum is a rare commodity and it'd be a shame to waste it.

Kyle95
06-01-2024, 03:13 PM
I made no secret that i wanted Karl Robinson. Annoyingly he's gone to Salford, who are leading already. He will take them up within 18 months. We have one chance of getting Eustace and that's no chance. Ainsworth doesn't fit our model at all. I think it will be either Stuart Maynard or Brian Barry Murphy.

the_anticlough
06-01-2024, 03:21 PM
or Brian Barry Murphy.

Main club as a player? Bury
Main club as a manager? Rochdale

Reminds me of that Bernard Manning joke. Brian, you're a jinx

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9dvFl35MjI0

Kyle95
06-01-2024, 03:26 PM

He got a lot of plaudits at Rochdale for their style of play despite a tiny budget. He's very well respected, hence why he's manager of the development squad at Man City.

jackal2
06-01-2024, 03:32 PM

The logic reminds me of a joke in The Simpsons when one of the employees at the Burns Nuclear Power Plant comments:

"Homer Simpson's a great motivator. Everybody else has to work a lot harder when he's on duty!"

Notts78
06-01-2024, 03:44 PM
For those that wouldn’t have minded Karl Robinson, been sent off 14 minutes in to his Salford managerial debut.

matt_magpie
06-01-2024, 03:48 PM
I did read on Twitter Maynard hasn’t actually got his UEFA A licence, not sure if he’s able to manage in the EFL because of that ??

Kyle95
06-01-2024, 03:51 PM
For those that wouldn’t have minded Karl Robinson, been sent off 14 minutes in to his Salford managerial debut.

Yes, sent off for stopping a quick throw. How ridiculous...

Chicken Balti Pie
06-01-2024, 03:51 PM
I did read on Twitter Maynard hasn’t actually got his UEFA A licence, not sure if he’s able to manage in the EFL because of that ??

He won't be able to no

jacobncfc
06-01-2024, 03:54 PM
He would say that when they're sitting 12th with 11 clubs ahead of them.

To be fair, twelfth in the National League is an unbelievable achievement for Wealdstone. Still a genuinely part-time club.

jacobncfc
06-01-2024, 03:55 PM
He won't be able to no

It’s a bit more lenient than that - you get three years to get it.

Notts78
06-01-2024, 03:59 PM
Yes, sent off for stopping a quick throw. How ridiculous...

Classless.

Trying to waste time after 14 minutes.

jackal2
06-01-2024, 03:59 PM
It’s a bit more lenient than that - you get three years to get it.

A cynic might think these licenses are another money-making tick-box racket for the football authorities. Results are the qualifications that matter. As you say, taking a genuinely part-time club to mid-table in the National League these days is pretty impressive.

marky
06-01-2024, 04:03 PM
To be fair, twelfth in the National League is an unbelievable achievement for Wealdstone. Still a genuinely part-time club.

Be a bit like us being twelfth in the Championship.

jacobncfc
06-01-2024, 04:07 PM
A cynic might think these licenses are another money-making tick-box racket for the football authorities. Results are the qualifications that matter. As you say, taking a genuinely part-time club to mid-table in the National League these days is pretty impressive.

The idea you’re qualified to manage a team in the fifth tier but not the fourth tier is a bit stupid. I get why they exist and for the most part they’re good for developing better coaches, but in the case of someone like Maynard or Marc White at Dorking who has worked their way up through the non-league system, I’m not sure we really need to have a rule where they have to go and get a bit of paper to go any higher.

Would be like making Langstaff go back to striker school before he could play this season.

slack_pie
06-01-2024, 04:08 PM
Maynard seems to be doing a good job at what is a very small club, but is that the ideal preparation for managing a relatively big club that's aiming for promotion?

Could'vebeenacontender
06-01-2024, 04:18 PM

Par for the course for him
An out of control guy

jackal2
06-01-2024, 04:22 PM
Maynard seems to be doing a good job at what is a very small club, but is that the ideal preparation for managing a relatively big club that's aiming for promotion?

The owners I'm sure would like promotion, but I don't think they're necessarily "aiming" for it or demanding it in the sense of putting a manager under pressure if they don't deliver it this season. That's more like the old days of five-year plans and "top three" budgets.

These owners will be looking for a Head Coach who can continue to deliver gradual improvement, whilst understanding that there are all sorts of variables - not least multiple long-term injuries - that can affect form and promotion prospects at any given time. It's not a 'promotion or bust' mentality these days, and that's precisely why we have more stability.

matt_magpie
06-01-2024, 04:25 PM

As long as he’s got the character to do it then yes. What’s even more impressive is their style of play when he’s got limited time with players.

the_anticlough
06-01-2024, 04:32 PM
As long as he’s got the character to do it then yes. What’s even more impressive is their style of play when he’s got limited time with players.

Look at his profile and you'll see he's been at 10+ clubs all (bar 4 games) within a few miles radius of his place of birth
I think he'd get a nose bleed coming up to Nottingham, and maybe his mum wouldn't let him anyway.

Only joking, but we do need someone who can settle in the area I think

cher1
06-01-2024, 04:34 PM
The idea you’re qualified to manage a team in the fifth tier but not the fourth tier is a bit stupid. I get why they exist and for the most part they’re good for developing better coaches, but in the case of someone like Maynard or Marc White at Dorking who has worked their way up through the non-league system, I’m not sure we really need to have a rule where they have to go and get a bit of paper to go any higher.

Would be like making Langstaff go back to striker school before he could play this season.

Mmm, am with you on that.

As for Karl Robinson, I just don't see us ever going for someone like him whilst the brothers are in charge. A quick Google tells you he's been banned from the touchline at least 4 times.

matt_magpie
06-01-2024, 04:37 PM
Look at his profile and you'll see he's been at 10+ clubs all (bar 4 games) within a few miles radius of his place of birth
I think he'd get a nose bleed coming up to Nottingham, and maybe his mum wouldn't let him anyway.

Only joking, but we do need someone who can settle in the area I think

As a part time player, yer not going to upsticks for a part time wage are you?

jacobncfc
06-01-2024, 04:40 PM
Maynard’s Wealdstone losing away from home today but with 69% possession and they’ve conceded a penalty. Very much the continuity option. :D

maddogslater
06-01-2024, 05:16 PM
Good win for creepy at Bradford, Mansfield could have gone top today, whoops 🤭 😬

marky
06-01-2024, 05:19 PM
Good win for creepy at Bradford, Mansfield could have gone top today, whoops �� ��

Crewe have gone above us though and Barrow are another 3 more points ahead of us.

magpie_mania
06-01-2024, 05:35 PM
I made no secret that i wanted Karl Robinson. Annoyingly he's gone to Salford, who are leading already. He will take them up within 18 months. We have one chance of getting Eustace and that's no chance. Ainsworth doesn't fit our model at all. I think it will be either Stuart Maynard or Brian Barry Murphy.

Yeah, great day for Salford.

Karl Robinson leads by example and gets red carded, and they manage a 2 -2 home draw with Forest Green with a 91st min penalty to equalise.

Glad he's nowhere near ML, well until 23rd March anyway.

WarsopPie
06-01-2024, 05:37 PM
Whoever gets the job they will find a very capable attack and midfield already in place so if he/she/it knows what a defence is and how to shape and organise one he/she/it'll do for me.

Greame Murty has suddenly hit the betting and is in at 3rd fav this would be some coup looking at his PPG ratio on Transfermkt.

Chicken Balti Pie
06-01-2024, 05:40 PM
Greame Murty has suddenly hit the betting and is in at 3rd fav this would be some coup looking at his PPG ratio on Transfermkt.

Remember that was Rangers not even in the SPL

nw6pie
06-01-2024, 06:11 PM
Anyone betting on Notts’ next manager at this early stage is a lot braver than me. The first thing I have to do after most managerial appointments these days is a Google search - for the new Plymouth manager, Ian Foster, for example.

for*sttown63
06-01-2024, 06:15 PM
A good win away for Crawley….still one of the best footballing sides we’ve played this season (twice)….worth a punt on their boss?

nw6pie
06-01-2024, 06:18 PM
A good win away for Crawley….still one of the best footballing sides we’ve played this season (twice)….worth a punt on their boss?

They were very impressive going forward in both games, but their defending was pretty diabolical - so he’ll fit right in.

SmiffyPie
06-01-2024, 06:33 PM

'Wealdstone manager Stuart Maynard believes the Vanarama National League has never been more competitive or challenging - even with Wrexham and Notts County long gone'Well it will be more competitive now we have both been promoted. They are all equally poor!

magpie_mania
06-01-2024, 06:43 PM

Remind me how well it went last time we took their manager!

nw6pie
06-01-2024, 07:57 PM
Remind me how well it went last time we took their manager!

You’re right. Given our track record buying things from Crawley (Kewell, McLeod and Enzio), we should probably avoid making that mistake again.

TSANHO
06-01-2024, 08:05 PM
Henrik Jensen. No idea who he is without looking at google but been mentioned to me….ticks the right box in that I’ve never heard of him anyway.

nw6pie
06-01-2024, 08:16 PM
Henrik Jensen. No idea who he is without looking at google but been mentioned to me….ticks the right box in that I’ve never heard of him anyway.

His Kalmar team finished sixth in the Swedish top division last year. I’ve never had any time for Swedish football since 1979, but it still feels like quite a drop to go from top tier there to fourth tier in England. He is Danish, but worked at the team who are huge rivals to Viborg (the brothers’ team in Denmark)

Kyle95
06-01-2024, 08:47 PM
Remember that was Rangers not even in the SPL

Rangers were back in the SPL at the time.

maddogslater
06-01-2024, 08:55 PM
Sign him up, cool name and probably wears kronstadt sweaters, even better 😉

Woodypie
07-01-2024, 12:13 PM
Sign him up, cool name and probably wears kronstadt sweaters, even better 😉
He has been out of management since 2014! That really would be a surprising punt

tommopie8
07-01-2024, 12:54 PM
He has been out of management since 2014! That really would be a surprising punt

Think that's his playing career?

Chicken Balti Pie
07-01-2024, 01:07 PM

There are two, I think they mean the younger one, not the 64 year old one

jacobncfc
07-01-2024, 01:27 PM
Exciting to see club legend Matt Gill enter the odds!

the_anticlough
07-01-2024, 01:39 PM
I think a bit more attention should be given to Stall's hunch - Gavin Strachan

marky
07-01-2024, 02:01 PM
How would people feel about Mark Warburton as Notts manager, he generally likes to play passing football and has done fairly well everywehere apart from over the river where he didn't last long.

BanjoPie
07-01-2024, 03:46 PM
How would people feel about Mark Warburton as Notts manager, he generally likes to play passing football and has done fairly well everywehere apart from over the river where he didn't last long.

His wholemeal is ok and particularly like his crumpets but think he would too much dough!

matt_magpie
07-01-2024, 04:03 PM
Warburton is a very decent manager but I can’t see it happening. Matt Gill extremely similar to LW in that he’s Rusell Martins number 2 would certainly make the bros interested. The thing is all these coaches are clearly talented and geared up to what we need playing style wise but the owners have to assess if their leaders too.

Notts78
07-01-2024, 04:16 PM
Warburton is a very decent manager but I can’t see it happening. Matt Gill extremely similar to LW in that he’s Rusell Martins number 2 would certainly make the bros interested. The thing is all these coaches are clearly talented and geared up to what we need playing style wise but the owners have to assess if their leaders too.

Not sure it’s talent. All these coaches get the same qualifications nowadays. All cut from the same cloth

matt_magpie
07-01-2024, 04:24 PM
Not sure it’s talent. All these coaches get the same qualifications nowadays. All cut from the same cloth

Yes but the up and coming ones either managing lower down or getting head coach roles at prem/champ clubs must be the ones that are showing a bit more than others. Also whilst technically you can argue they learn the same things that doesn’t mean they have the same footballing philosophies, even the best 2 managers in the prem have totally different philosophies.
It’s going to be possession based for us and the new coach will have to be a believer in that.

WarsopPie
07-01-2024, 05:11 PM
Yes but the up and coming ones either managing lower down or getting head coach roles at prem/champ clubs must be the ones that are showing a bit more than others. Also whilst technically you can argue they learn the same things that doesn’t mean they have the same footballing philosophies, even the best 2 managers in the prem have totally different philosophies.
It’s going to be possession based for us and the new coach will have to be a believer in that.

New name in the betting now at 8/1 some guy called Alan Connell

BanjoPie
07-01-2024, 05:14 PM
New name in the betting now at 8/1 some guy called Alan Connell

This is him - current Bournemouth youth team coach
https://youtu.be/AL_oe_aiGUU?si=Pz-sayjVPpldl-Zl

WarsopPie
07-01-2024, 05:16 PM
This is him - current Bournemouth youth team coach
https://youtu.be/AL_oe_aiGUU?si=Pz-sayjVPpldl-Zl

Surprised Carl Martin isn’t in there too then he’s at Bournemouth too.

BigFatPie
07-01-2024, 06:11 PM
Exciting to see club legend Matt Gill enter the odds!

Matt Gill would be hilarious. Thankfully we don’t play Rushden & D anymore.

Elite_Pie
07-01-2024, 06:19 PM
Matt Gill would be hilarious. Thankfully we don’t play Rushden & D anymore.

It's a very strange one, but you never know. Ian McParland was a great player for us but a bloody awful manager.

Maybe Matt Gill could be the reverse?

upthemaggies
07-01-2024, 06:26 PM
It's a very strange one, but you never know. Ian McParland was a great player for us but a bloody awful manager.

Guy Branston was even worse for us behind a desk than he was on the pitch.

PedroTheFisherman66
07-01-2024, 06:27 PM

Well he did ok in scottish football with Rangers, but then again so could my nan !! Hasn't he bombed after that certainly at QPR..
Some might say hes gone stale and would want a big crust in wages.im sure he doesnt know what a cob is either being a southerner !!!

matt_magpie
07-01-2024, 06:35 PM

I don’t think it’s strange, recent history shows us not great players can become great mangers , mourihno, Klopp, Wenger etc and great players not becoming great managers, Rooney the last example, there’s probably just a comical element that he was ridiculed as a player for us, he wasn’t on his own tbf at the time.

Piessince67
07-01-2024, 06:55 PM
Higgins in from 8 to 4/1 2nd fav .Interesting

Notts78
07-01-2024, 07:24 PM
Surprised Carl Martin isn’t in there too then he’s at Bournemouth too.

Put a tenner on him and he will appear

OP67
07-01-2024, 07:36 PM
Don't think it'll be Stuart Maynard, his stats are dreadful!!

nw6pie
07-01-2024, 07:41 PM
I wonder if Notts will see Phil Parkinson at Altrincham as an option again (reportedly). They’re fifth in the NL with, you’d imagine, a pretty average budget. He tries to play the right way, but has now been at Alty for over six years and it’s a big step-up to Notts.

irishpete
07-01-2024, 07:47 PM
Higgins in from 8 to 4/1 2nd fav .Interesting

He has a wealthy chairman, also a boring b@stard. Don't know why we even looked at him last time. Will have to listen to local radio tomorrow to see what they have to say over here about this

WarsopPie
07-01-2024, 08:50 PM

Seen on some account on Twitter or X whichever you want to call it that Andrew Sparkes is a name mentioned who’s coming in with the new manager probably 100% BS but thought I’d post

jacobncfc
07-01-2024, 09:02 PM
I don’t think it’s strange, recent history shows us not great players can become great mangers , mourihno, Klopp, Wenger etc and great players not becoming great managers, Rooney the last example, there’s probably just a comical element that he was ridiculed as a player for us, he wasn’t on his own tbf at the time.

To be fair to Gill, he’s an all too common example of a clearly decent footballer that basket case 2000s Notts never came close to getting anything out of. Went on to have a very useful career with Exeter and Bristol Rovers, even played a few times in the Championship with Norwich.

upthemaggies
07-01-2024, 09:14 PM

https://m.media-amazon.com/images/M/MV5BMTk1MmRhZjUtOGFiYy00ODhlLTgwZTctZmZkMWQ5Y2EwMm Y0XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNjExODE1MDc@._V1_.jpg

I hope it's Bjorn Hamberg and we get Ben Burgess as his no.2.

jacobncfc
07-01-2024, 09:26 PM

It’s all relative - managing Manchester City they’d be dreadful, managing Wealdstone they’re outstanding.

matt_magpie
07-01-2024, 09:30 PM
It’s all relative - managing Manchester City they’d be dreadful, managing Wealdstone they’re outstanding.

Agree, I’d say his stats are extremely good, their part time competing against mainly full time teams and playing very good football.

SwalePie
07-01-2024, 10:00 PM
https://m.media-amazon.com/images/M/MV5BMTk1MmRhZjUtOGFiYy00ODhlLTgwZTctZmZkMWQ5Y2EwMm Y0XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNjExODE1MDc@._V1_.jpg

I hope it's Bjorn Hamberg and we get Ben Burgess as his no.2.

Same here, but only if we can get Frank Furter on the set pieces.

WarsopPie
07-01-2024, 10:06 PM

I’m surprised Nathan Jones hasn’t been mentioned yet after what he did for Luton, Currently unemployed.

tommopie8
07-01-2024, 10:09 PM

Not an appointment I'd relish.

PedroTheFisherman66
07-01-2024, 10:35 PM
I’m surprised Nathan Jones hasn’t been mentioned yet after what he did for Luton, Currently unemployed.

i think he's aiming higher , i think he's in the running for the Brummie vacancy !

CamPie
07-01-2024, 11:20 PM

I think he’s been gone too long.

Lullapie
07-01-2024, 11:31 PM
"However, he remained popular with the club's fans for the success that he brought the club. He also oversaw many unorthodox developments at the club, including the tactical repositioning of the away team dugout, ensuring the grass around the corner area was longer so as to slow the ball down when played in that part of the pitch, and the practice of throwing buckets of cold water over players before a match."

In the 1990s, I had a team mate of mine who played under this manager. He said the weirdest thing was that, as a defender, he was told to boot the ball out as much as possible. Then when the opposing team had a throw in, they only had 10 players on the pitch - which meant they were at a disadvantage.

I love managers who have weird ideas, because often, they are the most successful.

nw6pie
08-01-2024, 06:03 AM
"However, he remained popular with the club's fans for the success that he brought the club. He also oversaw many unorthodox developments at the club, including the tactical repositioning of the away team dugout, ensuring the grass around the corner area was longer so as to slow the ball down when played in that part of the pitch, and the practice of throwing buckets of cold water over players before a match."

In the 1990s, I had a team mate of mine who played under this manager. He said the weirdest thing was that, as a defender, he was told to boot the ball out as much as possible. Then when the opposing team had a throw in, they only had 10 players on the pitch - which meant they were at a disadvantage.

I love managers who have weird ideas, because often, they are the most successful.

That can only be John Beck. I’d say the weird, outside-the-box thinking can work in the short term but not over a prolonged period of time. No substitute for well coached, talented players with a will to win.

Lullapie
08-01-2024, 08:26 AM
That can only be John Beck. I’d say the weird, outside-the-box thinking can work in the short term but not over a prolonged period of time. No substitute for well coached, talented players with a will to win.

Top marks!

cher1
08-01-2024, 09:14 AM
I was going to guess Beck too. Living in Cambridge in those days, he was a legend for his unorthodox methods.

OP67
08-01-2024, 09:20 AM

Not sure I'd call a 30% win rate outstanding XD

LLCoolA
08-01-2024, 09:58 AM

Nowadays I don't know that many people in the game. But those that I do all all very uncomplimentary about KR. Certainly I am not sure Jodi would have hung around if he had come in. That story is a bit bonkers!

slack_pie
08-01-2024, 10:03 AM
Re Brian Barry-Murphy, I'm not sure how easy it would be to tempt him away from his job at Man City - unless he has a strong desire to step back into coaching/managing a first team. I'd imagine he has a pretty good gig at the moment. It's a prestigious position and probably well paid, but without all the drama and stress of managing an actual football club.

WarsopPie
08-01-2024, 10:04 AM
Re Brian Barry-Murphy, I'm not sure how easy it would be to tempt him away from his job at Man City - unless he has a strong desire to step back into coaching/managing a first team. I'd imagine he has a pretty good gig at the moment. It's a prestigious position and probably well paid, but without all the drama and stress of managing an actual football club.

Stuart Maynard now 5/4, Cameron Toshack has appeared as a new entry at 14/1 😂😂

slack_pie
08-01-2024, 10:09 AM
Stuart Maynard now 5/4, Cameron Toshack has appeared as a new entry at 14/1 ����

The Maynard one worries me a bit. Sure, he's done a good job to have them well above a relegation battle, but it seems like a massive gamble to go for someone who's lost more games than they've won and who manages a part-time team. Obviously he's working with fewer resources than most other NL teams, but still, I'm not sure that directly translates to doing a great job at a club with more resources and bigger ambitions.

It's a mentality thing. He'd have to go from any win being a great result to a win being the least we expect. Not easy. Whoever comes in needs to be able to build on what LW built and push us forwards. We have so much momentum at the moment that we can't afford to stagnate.

SmiffyPie
08-01-2024, 10:16 AM
The Maynard one worries me a bit. Sure, he's done a good job to have them well above a relegation battle, but it seems like a massive gamble to go for someone who's lost more games than they've won and who manages a part-time team. Obviously he's working with fewer resources than most other NL teams, but still, I'm not sure that directly translates to doing a great job at a club with more resources and bigger ambitions.

It's a mentality thing. He'd have to go from any win being a great result to a win being the least we expect. Not easy.Was going to say something similar. OK the Bros will more than likely go for someone unexpected but Maynard has nothing really to offer (on paper at least).

jacobncfc
08-01-2024, 10:33 AM
Not sure I'd call a 30% win rate outstanding XD

With Wealdstone in the National League it is. Just like if Luton's manager ended this season with a 30% win rate, he'd probably win manager of the year.

WarsopPie
08-01-2024, 10:45 AM
With Wealdstone in the National League it is. Just like if Luton's manager ended this season with a 30% win rate, he'd probably win manager of the year.

Just wondering what people’s thoughts are on the current situation this week could be a big week, so people think JOB will be in charge on Saturday or do we think the Bros will bring someone in before the weekend?
I’m thinking JOB will take training this week and the new man could be announced before Saturday.
Suppose it all depends if whoever gets the job is already unemployed or not as a man in current employment the move would surely be a longer process.

tripie
08-01-2024, 11:02 AM
Just wondering what people’s thoughts are on the current situation this week could be a big week, so people think JOB will be in charge on Saturday or do we think the Bros will bring someone in before the weekend?
I’m thinking JOB will take training this week and the new man could be announced before Saturday.
Suppose it all depends if whoever gets the job is already unemployed or not as a man in current employment the move would surely be a longer process.

I think 2 to 4 weeks is more likely. The brothers don't cut corners.

Kent Magpie
08-01-2024, 11:09 AM
Didn't it take Swansea 31 days? I would think we would take a similar length of time, just because of the way the Brothers do things thoroughly.

jacobncfc
08-01-2024, 11:11 AM
Depends if they have someone in mind or not. Burchnall was in a day or two after Ardley was sacked, whereas with Williams they seemed to go through quite a long interview process with several people.

slack_pie
08-01-2024, 11:22 AM

But would the Luton manager then be considered the ideal candidate to take a team like Manchester United and win the league? Probably not, because the approach needed to get Luton to win 30% of their games wouldn't be what's required to get United to win the league.

Chicken Balti Pie
08-01-2024, 11:27 AM
Depends if they have someone in mind or not. Burchnall was in a day or two after Ardley was sacked, whereas with Williams they seemed to go through quite a long interview process with several people.

Burchnall was set to come in at the end of the season, the brothers had every intention of letting Ardley see out his contract but then some league 1 clubs came calling about Burchnall so the timeline shifted. Hence all the nice words for Ardley when he left as well as the friendly and also the great references and helping getting him hooked up with Solihull.

legs77
08-01-2024, 11:30 AM
But would the Luton manager then be considered the ideal candidate to take a team like Manchester United and win the league? Probably not, because the approach needed to get Luton to win 30% of their games wouldn't be what's required to get United to win the league.

PL footy is different they can attract whoever they like mainly.

Luton manager might even be better than ETH is !

Look at Klopp took over 2nd tier Mainz then got Dortmund job where he was expected to win most weeks.

You've either got it or you havent thats a decision for our owners.

durhampie
08-01-2024, 11:38 AM
Didn't it take Swansea 31 days? I would think we would take a similar length of time, just because of the way the Brothers do things thoroughly.

They were probably waiting for the FA cup week to appoint Williams, knowing that we would not have a game for 2 weeks

jacobncfc
08-01-2024, 11:38 AM

Well, going for the winning every game at Ajax approach hasn't worked for them. ;)

Don't get me wrong, I'm not particularly sold on Maynard, I don't know much about him. I just think his work at Wealdstone is clearly really impressive and I think looking at people excelling in the league below is always a good option.

Really I think the appointment has to be about culture as much as it does someone's managerial record. Clearly some success, whether as a number one or a coach, is going to be needed, but the most important thing is whether they're going to fit into the way the club works, build on a style of football that's been successful, and have the personality to keep things moving. All stuff we can't tell from their Wiki stats.

TedBovisPie
08-01-2024, 12:10 PM
Well, going for the winning every game at Ajax approach hasn't worked for them. ;)

Don't get me wrong, I'm not particularly sold on Maynard, I don't know much about him. I just think his work at Wealdstone is clearly really impressive and I think looking at people excelling in the league below is always a good option.

Really I think the appointment has to be about culture as much as it does someone's managerial record. Clearly some success, whether as a number one or a coach, is going to be needed, but the most important thing is whether they're going to fit into the way the club works, build on a style of football that's been successful, and have the personality to keep things moving. All stuff we can't tell from their Wiki stats.

I’m not convinced about Maynard either, I like his attitude and how he wants to play and what he has done at Wealdstone. However unlike IB and LW he hasn’t done any coaching at a higher than NL level and that does give cause for concern.

BanjoPie
08-01-2024, 12:22 PM
Rather have a manager untested at L2 level than one of the many managers on the merry-go round that have tried and failed!

Could'vebeenacontender
08-01-2024, 12:25 PM
Rather have a manager untested at L2 level than one of the many managers on the merry-go round that have tried and failed!

I believe JOB is interested in the job
Maybe we will see how he gets on in the next few games

upthemaggies
08-01-2024, 12:28 PM
I wouldn't go quite as far as saying it's a lottery, but the outcome in selecting any manager is a lot closer to that than most people perceive it to be I think.

An impressive knowledge of the game is a given in this day and age with all of the coaching badges and the resources managers now have with videos of every game and the stats, but in terms of personality, look at Brian Clough, he went down to 3rd tier Brighton and did f-all there, he even lost a televised home game against Bristol Rovers 8-2. Peter Taylor did a better job there after Clough left him to it and went to Leeds IIRC. His contemporary Lawrie McMenemy who did absolute wonders for Southampton had been sacked by Doncaster Rovers before then. Graham Taylor, for me the greatest FL manager ever in taking Watford from the 4th tier to runners up in the top flight was a disaster for England. Toshack, once linked with the Liverpool job for his miracle work with Swansea, didn't do much after his side got relegated. Closer to home, Howard Kendall.

Managers can come from nowhere and become club legends and vice-versa. Obviously helps if you have a good relationship with the owner, but that didn't help Ardley or Burch get us to where we wanted to be.

It's a big big decision and I don't envy the owners having to make it. With owners you've just got to hope they can pick up the pieces if it goes wrong, which carries a pretty high probability.

slack_pie
08-01-2024, 12:56 PM

Let's see how he does. One thing we know about Jim is he has a big personality, and I think that's an important ingredient in a leader. LW had it, IB didn't. Tactics and coaching are important, but you also need to be able to inspire the players and fans.

durhampie
08-01-2024, 01:13 PM

Maynard has only got the eufa B coaching badge, whereas Jim holds the eufa A coaching badge, which makes him more qualified than Maynard..

Kent Magpie
08-01-2024, 01:32 PM
Let's see how he does. One thing we know about Jim is he has a big personality, and I think that's an important ingredient in a leader. LW had it, IB didn't. Tactics and coaching are important, but you also need to be able to inspire the players and fans.
You can get other people to do the coaching and tactics for you (wasn't it Clough who only saw the players pre-match), but you need to be able to lead, plan and organise. I wonder if that is why LW took Harley and the coach with him? Leadership is the key attribute of the head coach though.

matt_magpie
08-01-2024, 01:34 PM
Maynard has only got the eufa B coaching badge, whereas Jim holds the eufa A coaching badge, which makes him more qualified than Maynard..

I think Maynard’s 150 odd games as a manager supersedes JOB getting his A licence.
I’m not hell bent on Maynard as I don’t know what sort of character he is, but people looking at win %s are looking in the wrong place.
Their a part time side more than competing in the National league and with style, I think last years mid table finish was there best in 40 odd years.

theadissey
08-01-2024, 01:34 PM

If he does alright, he might get the Doyle gig of assistant manager as a continuation of dressing rooms spirit etc.

That probs does hinder on if he does alright and we get cover in midfield...

jacobncfc
08-01-2024, 01:41 PM
I wouldn't go quite as far as saying it's a lottery, but the outcome in selecting any manager is a lot closer to that than most people perceive it to be I think.

An impressive knowledge of the game is a given in this day and age with all of the coaching badges and the resources managers now have with videos of every game and the stats, but in terms of personality, look at Brian Clough, he went down to 3rd tier Brighton and did f-all there, he even lost a televised home game against Bristol Rovers 8-2. Peter Taylor did a better job there after Clough left him to it and went to Leeds IIRC. His contemporary Lawrie McMenemy who did absolute wonders for Southampton had been sacked by Doncaster Rovers before then. Graham Taylor, for me the greatest FL manager ever in taking Watford from the 4th tier to runners up in the top flight was a disaster for England. Toshack, once linked with the Liverpool job for his miracle work with Swansea, didn't do much after his side got relegated. Closer to home, Howard Kendall.

Managers can come from nowhere and become club legends and vice-versa. Obviously helps if you have a good relationship with the owner, but that didn't help Ardley or Burch get us to where we wanted to be.

It's a big big decision and I don't envy the owners having to make it. With owners you've just got to hope they can pick up the pieces if it goes wrong, which carries a pretty high probability.

Funnily enough, John Toshack’s son, Cameron, is the latest contender to appear in the odds at 14/1.

durhampie
08-01-2024, 02:50 PM
The eufa B coaching badge only allows the holder to be an assistant coach at EFL level..Surely that rules Maynard out ??

matt_magpie
08-01-2024, 02:57 PM
The eufa B coaching badge only allows the holder to be an assistant coach at EFL level..Surely that rules Maynard out ??

I asked that earlier on and I think someone said they had a 3 year grace period to get??

VerybigpieLittlepie
08-01-2024, 02:59 PM
Charlie trout Puerto Rico head coach from Nottingham

durhampie
08-01-2024, 03:03 PM
That's OK then, as they only last no more than 18 months in the job.

legs77
08-01-2024, 03:13 PM
I asked that earlier on and I think someone said they had a 3 year grace period to get??

Interestingly how does that work out if as Durham says he did 18 months in an EFL job does he only have another 18 months to get it at another club or does it start all over again ?

WarsopPie
08-01-2024, 04:52 PM
Interestingly how does that work out if as Durham says he did 18 months in an EFL job does he only have another 18 months to get it at another club or does it start all over again ?

Think it carries over mate till he or if he gets another EFL job and it’s deducted from the 3 years a bit like being on remand and having it taken off your sentence

legs77
08-01-2024, 05:13 PM
Think it carries over mate till he or if he gets another EFL job and it’s deducted from the 3 years a bit like being on remand and having it taken off your sentence

Thank you and he is likely to pass it in 3 years anyway you’d think !

It’s probably the cost of getting one which has stopped him as think it’s fairly pricey to train for them especially if you are part time as well and not sure if he does anything else work wise.

irish_pie
08-01-2024, 07:02 PM

Something fishy about that guy 🤔

TedBovisPie
08-01-2024, 07:21 PM

Can’t see his application making it over the fin-ishing line.

WarsopPie
08-01-2024, 07:24 PM
Thank you and he is likely to pass it in 3 years anyway you’d think !

It’s probably the cost of getting one which has stopped him as think it’s fairly pricey to train for them especially if you are part time as well and not sure if he does anything else work wise.

He works as a BT engineer, think also there’s so much time you have do on a residential towards the badge too.

Nigel_M
08-01-2024, 07:53 PM
Can’t see his application making it over the fin-ishing line.

He could have Matty Gill as assistant

matt_magpie
08-01-2024, 08:02 PM
He works as a BT engineer, think also there’s so much time you have do on a residential towards the badge too.

I did wonder if he was possibly full time at the club picking up other bits but ifs he’s got a full time job and has managed to find time to prep and get his team to play the way they do then it’s extremely impressive, I’ve heard him talk a few times and he definitely knows his stuff.
It would be a really interesting appointment as there’s the obvious question is can he step up to a club like Notts but there’s also the question if he’s given all that extra time in the week and the resources we have then what could he achieve?

PedroTheFisherman66
08-01-2024, 08:21 PM

Are we poaching him..!?

lunaspie
08-01-2024, 11:22 PM

He's part of the rainbow coalition.

queenslandpie
09-01-2024, 02:59 AM
He's part of the rainbow coalition.

Gudgeon Thordasson is incoming I have it on good authority.

lunaspie
09-01-2024, 04:02 AM
Gudgeon Thordasson is incoming I have it on good authority.

Cutthroat competition for Mr. Trout.

meoldlaner
09-01-2024, 07:08 AM
He'd get battered every week, poor sole!

i961pie
09-01-2024, 09:17 AM
We could find a plaice for him until he’s haddock enough. I’ll get me coat.

PTID1862
09-01-2024, 09:40 AM
Heard the bros meeting him secretly at the Savaloy Hotel in London. Secrecy leaves the media feeding off scraps.

CamPie
09-01-2024, 09:57 AM
I just hope the new boss inherits a squad breaming with confidence

SmiffyPie
09-01-2024, 10:03 AM
Well whoever it is his schoal of thought needs to be beyond reproach or he might find himself in a stickleyback situation.

slack_pie
09-01-2024, 10:32 AM
If JOB gets offered the position full time, will he be willing to hang up his boots? He can't have his hake and eat it too.

Little15
09-01-2024, 10:44 AM
He'd probably have to scale back his playing career.

applepie2
09-01-2024, 12:30 PM
I just hope the new boss inherits a squad breaming with confidence

I’d prefer a squid breaming with confidence. And an octopus in goal.

Wedgie_pie
09-01-2024, 12:41 PM
God you lot have to be codding...

tied_up_in_notts
09-01-2024, 12:48 PM
If JOB gets offered the position full time, will he be willing to hang up his boots? He can't have his hake and eat it too.
He'll probably keep on playing, it's only a haddock appointment

OldBanksy
09-01-2024, 01:02 PM
Will JoB make himself skipper?

ThePieWhoCameIn
09-01-2024, 01:16 PM
Are you lot making these up yourselves, or are you trawling the internet?

TedBovisPie
09-01-2024, 01:24 PM
Can say what you like about Notts Mad but it’s one of the best plaice’s for a good pun.

1955pie
09-01-2024, 01:32 PM
Are you lot making these up yourselves, or are you trawling the internet?

If you are joining us, this is sort of the high standard to expect.:o

Kent Magpie
09-01-2024, 01:34 PM
I do think if JoB does well the world will be his oyster!

1955pie
09-01-2024, 01:39 PM
When do you think he was first appRoached?

i961pie
09-01-2024, 01:44 PM

Or Lobster

Kent Magpie
09-01-2024, 01:54 PM
True. One thing is for sure, eel do his best for our dace chubb.

Could'vebeenacontender
09-01-2024, 01:56 PM
If you are joining us, this is sort of the high standard to expect.:o

Most forums are the same :o

Kent Magpie
09-01-2024, 02:02 PM
This is top level punditry!

1955pie
09-01-2024, 02:12 PM
2 wins in the next 2 games and he might seal the deal.

1955pie
09-01-2024, 02:13 PM
I'm sure he'll be having a whale of a time anyway.

slack_pie
09-01-2024, 02:14 PM
It may be shellfish, but I hope sign a big centre-back. I'm fed up of seeing the opposition out-mussel us.

SmiffyPie
09-01-2024, 02:23 PM
It may be shellfish, but I hope sign a big centre-back. I'm fed up of seeing the opposition out-mussel us.Yes it's Halibut the way we approach our defensive play. Get it wrong and Turbot the grace of Cod we could get skinned every whelk!

TheBlackHorse
09-01-2024, 02:30 PM
... if the catering department throw out some red meat, do you think we'll attract some killer sharks for defence...

SwalePie
09-01-2024, 02:33 PM
... if the catering department throw out some red meat, do you think we'll attract some killer sharks for defence...

I'm not sure but in this weather it would be nice to be a little otter in the stands.

lunaspie
09-01-2024, 02:37 PM
Just like Crowley and Bostock he's a spawn-again Christian.

Elite_Pie
09-01-2024, 02:44 PM
This is top level punditry!

I think it's a load of pollocks.

lunaspie
09-01-2024, 02:47 PM
Can say what you like about Notts Mad but it’s one of the best plaice’s for a good pun.

And a bad one.

ThePieWhoCameIn
09-01-2024, 02:52 PM

And if he doesn't some will call for his head on a pike.

CamPie
09-01-2024, 03:05 PM
I’d prefer a squid breaming with confidence. And an octopus in goal.

Pollocks, I missed an opportunity there.

lunaspie
09-01-2024, 03:07 PM
And if he doesn't some will call for his head on a pike.

Stupid boy.

CamPie
09-01-2024, 03:08 PM
I hope we can sign players of the quality of Ray O’Brien and Geoff Pike and maybe look at bringing back Kane Herrings

BigFatPie
09-01-2024, 03:09 PM
Sick of these puns, I just want news about the new HammerHead Coach. Mind you, I suppose that’s just me carping from the sidelines.

slack_pie
09-01-2024, 03:34 PM
I just hope we don't appoint another Fullarton. That would be a real kick in the scallops.

SmiffyPie
09-01-2024, 03:37 PM
Or worse still, right in the Gurnards!

BanjoPie
09-01-2024, 03:56 PM
To be honest, I think the odds on Charlie Trout is just a Red Herring and is he just a Spratt to catch a Mackerel :D

Magpike
09-01-2024, 04:45 PM
I hope we can sign players of the quality of Ray O’Brien and Geoff Pike and maybe look at bringing back Kane Herrings

😏 Knew I would be appreciated one day

Big Bob
09-01-2024, 05:12 PM
Cone on lads, scale it down a bit

PedroTheFisherman66
09-01-2024, 10:37 PM
as the French say La Fin please !!

WarsopPie
09-01-2024, 11:06 PM

James rowberry into 12/1 from 20/1

durhampie
10-01-2024, 12:10 AM
James rowberry into 12/1 from 20/1

Who the heck is James Rowberry ??

BCnotts18
10-01-2024, 01:01 AM
Who the heck is James Rowberry ??

Ex Newport. Got sacked last season after getting 11 points from their first 13 games.

nw6pie
10-01-2024, 06:04 AM
Ex Newport. Got sacked last season after getting 11 points from their first 13 games.

That would normally be a huge concern, but I’ve learned to trust the bros and their decision-making process. They won’t be appointing anyone who’s not a perfect fit for the system.

Bohinen
10-01-2024, 07:35 AM
The thing about the brothers is they steer well clear of social media and have no little clique of hangers on, like Trew and Hardy did. You know, people who would suck up to them to glean titbits of information which they then shared on here, with people hanging on every word.

So I really don't see how the bookies can have any credible information, given they are the soul of discretion. The people who create the rumours are junior sports journalists who just make up the lists based on who they think will apply and their subjective judgement of which of those is the best. Some of the names are a horror show, to be honest. I don't need telling what a force Wealdstone are in the NL. This is Notts County amd nomarks need not apply.

Notts78
10-01-2024, 08:01 AM
The thing about the brothers is they steer well clear of social media and have no little clique of hangers on, like Trew and Hardy did. You know, people who would suck up to them to glean titbits of information which they then shared on here, with people hanging on every word.

So I really don't see how the bookies can have any credible information, given they are the soul of discretion. The people who create the rumours are junior sports journalists who just make up the lists based on who they think will apply and their subjective judgement of which of those is the best. Some of the names are a horror show, to be honest. I don't need telling what a force Wealdstone are in the NL. This is Notts County amd nomarks need not apply.

My gut tells me that we’ll be approaching our man rather than looking at the best of those who apply.
The bookies have no idea… if I went and put a fiver on John Barnes with a bookie, he’d then appear on the odds list.
Next manager odds at any club is possibly the worst market. It’s not like betting on the result of a match which has 3 outcomes - the next manager is an open book with endless possibilities.
The Maynard fella is at the top of the odds as more people have bet on that outcome based on a rumour Notts want him. I’d be very surprised if we went for him, even IB and LW had some experience in professional football.

matt_magpie
10-01-2024, 08:33 AM

He did manage 50 odd games though but had a poor start to that season, i read up about him on wiki, sounds interesting but absolutely no idea about him than what I read.

SmiffyPie
10-01-2024, 09:18 AM
They will be looking very carefully for the right man. No panic is there, we are safe (you would think!) and JOB has the squad with him.

slack_pie
10-01-2024, 10:12 AM
They will be looking very carefully for the right man. No panic is there, we are safe (you would think!) and JOB has the squad with him.

Agreed. LW leaving coupled with the injuries to key players (Palmer in particular) have made promotion pretty unlikely this season, so there's no major rush to get someone in. We need the right person so we can plan and build for a proper promotion push next season.

WarsopPie
10-01-2024, 10:37 AM
That would normally be a huge concern, but I’ve learned to trust the bros and their decision-making process. They won’t be appointing anyone who’s not a perfect fit for the system.

Just checked the BetVictor market again, Nathan Jones and Bo Svenssen are in there now both at 12/1

BigFatPie
10-01-2024, 11:09 AM
Just checked the BetVictor market again, Nathan Jones and Bo Svenssen are in there now both at 12/1

Purely based on trial by Wikipedia I’d be very happy with Bo Svenssen.

OchPie
10-01-2024, 11:56 AM
Purely based on trial by Wikipedia I’d be very happy with Bo Svenssen.

You might enjoy this interview.

https://www.coachesvoice.com/cv/bo-svensson-mainz-klopp-tuchel/

Glad2BeAPie
10-01-2024, 11:58 AM
He's had success...

Honours
edit
Danish Superliga: 2001, 2003, 2004 and 2006
Danish Cup: 2004
Danish Super Cup: 2001, 2004
Royal League: 2005 and 2006

OP67
10-01-2024, 12:01 PM
You might enjoy this interview.

https://www.coachesvoice.com/cv/bo-svensson-mainz-klopp-tuchel/

I like the sound of this, sounds a perfect match B)

irishpete
10-01-2024, 02:11 PM
Hmmm. Got sacked for only 3pts out of possible 27 @ Mainz this season, cracking

matt_magpie
10-01-2024, 02:32 PM

I’d be absolutely shocked if we got one of them, i doubt there’s even a 10% chance, both recently managed in their country’s top division.

slack_pie
10-01-2024, 02:42 PM
I’d be absolutely shocked if we got one of them, i doubt there’s even a 10% chance, both recently managed in their country’s top division.

Yeah, it would be a bit like us signing a decent first-team player from the Bundesliga or something, i.e. not going to happen.

OP67
10-01-2024, 02:48 PM

Ahhhhhhhhh maybe not then XD

SmiffyPie
10-01-2024, 03:13 PM
Give it a go Bo, you know you want to!

WarsopPie
10-01-2024, 03:42 PM

Someone must of had £20 on Cameron Toshack he was 14/1 this morning now he’s 6s 3rd fav.

matt_magpie
10-01-2024, 04:07 PM
Someone must of had £20 on Cameron Toshack he was 14/1 this morning now he’s 6s 3rd fav.

I thinks thats the only thing driving it at the moment, a few Notts fans have probably backed Maynard as they know about him more and his style of play, let’s face it no one has a clue who’s coming 😂

CamPie
10-01-2024, 04:13 PM

So at 12-1 the bookies don’t think there’s a 10% chance either?

lunaspie
10-01-2024, 04:56 PM

Bo Svensson ? More like Bo Nidal.

matt_magpie
10-01-2024, 05:07 PM
So at 12-1 the bookies don’t think there’s a 10% chance either?

If I was being honest I’d put Jones about 1% and the other guy at 5%, only because he’s danish too 😂

OP67
10-01-2024, 05:09 PM

Although looking at the previous manager stats no one seems to have done well at FSV Mainz 05 XD

Bo Svenssen did well at FC Liefering though....Look at Williams only other team he's been head coach at Swindon and he was shocking.

irishpete
10-01-2024, 05:14 PM
...Look at Williams only other team he's been head coach at Swindon and he was shocking.

You might be adding Swansea to that;)
Think we can rule out Higgins from Derry. He has today signed a Striker from Dundalk

Could'vebeenacontender
10-01-2024, 05:20 PM
I reckon we'll have someone in fairly quickly
Don't know who it is yet but I think talks have been going on
Apparently we've had an avalanche of applications which is encouraging

legs77
10-01-2024, 05:27 PM
Although looking at the previous manager stats no one seems to have done well at FSV Mainz 05 XD

Bo Svenssen did well at FC Liefering though....Look at Williams only other team he's been head coach at Swindon and he was shocking.

You mean Tim Sherwood record at Swindon was shocking ?! 😉

irishpete
10-01-2024, 05:35 PM
I reckon we'll have someone in fairly quickly
Don't know who it is yet but I think talks have been going on
Apparently we've had an avalanche of applications which is encouraging

I'd say the Bros have always had a hit list, especially after last season, the football that was played & media coverage we got. You have to have irons in the fire when you won't just employ any Tom, Dick or Harry

BanjoPie
10-01-2024, 07:17 PM
I'd say the Bros have always had a hit list, especially after last season, the football that was played & media coverage we got. You have to have irons in the fire when you won't just employ any Tom, Dick or Harry

What are the betting odds on Tom, Dick & Harry? :D

ThePieWhoCameIn
10-01-2024, 07:28 PM
Tom Dick and Harry would be more suited if we were bottom and trying to pull off the great escape.

Swanzee
10-01-2024, 08:14 PM
Swans fan here in peace. Apologies for knicking your manager, us Swans fans know only too well what it's like to have our managers poached (Martinez, Rodgers, Potter and Martin).

On the issue of Cameron Toshack, his CV isn't the most impressive, but he could be an inspired left-field appointment. He coached Rodon, Dan James, Connor Roberts and Oli Mcburnie for Swansea U21s, with the team performing well as a Category One academy, playing a possession-led way.

Toshack often appeared in the past as a match day summarizer for Swans TV, and was by far the most impressive of all the myriad pundits employed. Articulate, insightful and measured, he made a big impression on me. I'm sure you could do a lot worse than appoint him.

If you continue down the possession path then hopefully there could be opportunities for us to loan you players which could be of mutual benefit. There are quite a few promising youngsters in our academy who need experience of first team football. Liam Smith is one who springs to mind. Ex Manchester City academy, very skilful number 10, who's ready to step up to men's football.

Elite_Pie
10-01-2024, 08:23 PM
What are the betting odds on Tom, Dick & Harry? :D

No obvious Tom or Harry in the betting lists, but we've employed a fair few Dicks in the past.

SwalePie
10-01-2024, 08:36 PM
Tom Dick and Harry would be more suited if we were bottom and trying to pull off the great escape.

Excellent! :)

the_anticlough
10-01-2024, 08:48 PM
Swans fan here in peace. Apologies for knicking your manager, us Swans fans know only too well what it's like to have our managers poached (Martinez, Rodgers, Potter and Martin).

On the issue of Cameron Toshack, his CV isn't the most impressive, but he could be an inspired left-field appointment. He coached Rodon, Dan James, Connor Roberts and Oli Mcburnie for Swansea U21s, with the team performing well as a Category One academy, playing a possession-led way.

Toshack often appeared in the past as a match day summarizer for Swans TV, and was by far the most impressive of all the myriad pundits employed. Articulate, insightful and measured, he made a big impression on me. I'm sure you could do a lot worse than appoint him.

If you continue down the possession path then hopefully there could be opportunities for us to loan you players which could be of mutual benefit. There are quite a few promising youngsters in our academy who need experience of first team football. Liam Smith is one who springs to mind. Ex Manchester City academy, very skilful number 10, who's ready to step up to men's football.

I wouldn't watch a Toshack team if they were playing in my own back garden. I'd draw the curtains

1955pie
10-01-2024, 08:57 PM
You might be adding Swansea to that;)
Think we can rule out Higgins from Derry. He has today signed a Striker from Dundalk

Swansea could have said
"Think we can rule out Williams from Notts. He has today signed a defender from Fleetwood"

durhampie
10-01-2024, 09:13 PM
No obvious Tom or Harry in the betting lists, but we've employed a fair few Dicks in the past.

Agreed, we have had our fair share O:) But never anyone actually named Dick....

irishpete
10-01-2024, 09:36 PM
Swansea could have said
"Think we can rule out Williams from Notts. He has today signed a defender from Fleetwood"
Not really, we know how we sign players, completely different to other club models. I can tell you 100% Derrys is nothing like ours, plus bank rolled & playing in Europe

ncfcog
10-01-2024, 09:55 PM
I wouldn't watch a Toshack team if they were playing in my own back garden. I'd draw the curtains

You beat me to it!!!

Some things live long in the memory!

BCnotts18
10-01-2024, 09:56 PM
Alan Sheehan has entered the odds at 12/1.

BanjoPie
10-01-2024, 10:11 PM
You beat me to it!!!

Some things live long in the memory!

??

ncfcog
10-01-2024, 10:22 PM
??

It was about 1981, Notts and Swansea had a few run ins, when asked about Notts Swansea manager John Toshack said if he saw Notts playing in his back garden he would close the blinds.

1955pie
10-01-2024, 10:39 PM
It was about 1981, Notts and Swansea had a few run ins, when asked about Notts Swansea manager John Toshack said if he saw Notts playing in his back garden he would close the blinds.

Sounds like “Sins of the father” etc etc

queenslandpie
10-01-2024, 11:00 PM
It would be good if on the betting for Notts manager there was an option for "someone nobody has ever heard of" although it would probably be 1/6.

WarsopPie
10-01-2024, 11:10 PM
It would be good if on the betting for Notts manager there was an option for "someone nobody has ever heard of" although it would probably be 1/6.

Maynard now 1/2 odds on.
Hope too god it’s not going to be him.

OP67
10-01-2024, 11:31 PM
Maynard now 1/2 odds on.
Hope too god it’s not going to be him.

I hope not as well, very uninspiring!!

queenslandpie
10-01-2024, 11:39 PM
I hope not as well, very uninspiring!!

I am sure I am very much not the only one who was along the lines of "WHO?" when Luke Williams was appointed. So I will trust in the Brothers. The odds mean nowt as we found out with that Faroe Islands guy.

uysapie
11-01-2024, 12:40 AM
All we can do is wait and see.

Notts78
11-01-2024, 07:36 AM
I am sure I am very much not the only one who was along the lines of "WHO?" when Luke Williams was appointed. So I will trust in the Brothers. The odds mean nowt as we found out with that Faroe Islands guy.

Or LW odds for the Oxford job.

All the uninspiring comments, think back to IB and LW, both uninspiring at the time and both did OK/very well respectively. Out of curiosity who would be inspiring?

slack_pie
11-01-2024, 08:07 AM

All the uninspiring comments, think back to IB and LW, both uninspiring at the time and both did OK/very well respectively. Out of curiosity who would be inspiring?

I'm not sure about "inspiring" but there other names on the list that are more exciting. Brian Barry-Murphy has great pedigree, having been snapped up by Man City in what is a pretty key role for a massive club. He's also managed a full-time first team as well. In fact, the only person who has never managed a full-time professional team is Maynard. Not saying that should rule him out, but it's a massive jump from Wealdstone to Notts.

matt_magpie
11-01-2024, 08:32 AM
I'm not sure about "inspiring" but there other names on the list that are more exciting. Brian Barry-Murphy has great pedigree, having been snapped up by Man City in what is a pretty key role for a massive club. He's also managed a full-time first team as well. In fact, the only person who has never managed a full-time professional team is Maynard. Not saying that should rule him out, but it's a massive jump from Wealdstone to Notts.

But he has managed 150 games of men’s football not youth players and implemented a style very similar to ours with limited time in the week and has them punching way above their weight, I think he deserves a bit more credit. That said it’s a jump but it’s also a jump for anyone who’s only been managing youth u23s, other sides have tried it in this league and it hasn’t worked.

WarsopPie
11-01-2024, 08:54 AM

LW was on odds on though for Swansea.

WarsopPie
11-01-2024, 08:56 AM

I haven’t a good feeling about that Maynard I feel he will take us backwards and turn out to be another Russell Slade.

Hoppie
11-01-2024, 09:00 AM
But he has managed 150 games of men’s football not youth players and implemented a style very similar to ours with limited time in the week and has them punching way above their weight, I think he deserves a bit more credit. That said it’s a jump but it’s also a jump for anyone who’s only been managing youth u23s, other sides have tried it in this league and it hasn’t worked.

How many of those 150 has he won? Style is great, but as we discovered with IB there’s another ingredient required to deliver substance.

matt_magpie
11-01-2024, 09:20 AM
How many of those 150 has he won? Style is great, but as we discovered with IB there’s another ingredient required to deliver substance.

They’re part time? They shouldn’t even really survive in that league and it’s the highest they’ve been in 40 odd years finishing mid table, you can’t expect him to have a really good win % can you?

What no one really knows is who can take the pressure and lead at a reasonably sized club, he ticks the boxes of coaches men’s football, style of play and over achieving but like the others there’s the above we don’t know.

I remember us hiring a chiropodist with a history of managing non league clubs and he wasn’t too bad.

Chicken Balti Pie
11-01-2024, 09:25 AM
It won't be Maynard. It's because a bunch of the xG idiots on twitter said something about him so people lumped on. It's not just about style of play but coaching, I suspect they'd want someone with a UEFA Pro license as that would give a great indication of the quality of their training methods

matt_magpie
11-01-2024, 09:55 AM
It won't be Maynard. It's because a bunch of the xG idiots on twitter said something about him so people lumped on. It's not just about style of play but coaching, I suspect they'd want someone with a UEFA Pro license as that would give a great indication of the quality of their training methods

I’ve got a feeling it won’t be him but also not sure the qualification will effect it, like anything you can have people that have qualifications but can’t put it into practice and people like him that appear they have without the qualification, the owners have a another tough decision to make with us not hiring someone off the usual merry go around if that is the case again. I keep going on like a broken record but I think leadership skills should be the first priority, that was the key difference between LW and IB.

ncfcog
11-01-2024, 10:10 AM
Losing LW and looking at potential replacements is one of the topics I discussed on last nights In The Game on Radio Nottingham …

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p09x7ntn

jacobncfc
11-01-2024, 10:20 AM
I don’t know why people seem so down on Maynard but Mike Williamson was always seen as a good and likely option for us until he went to MK. Wealdstone actually finished above Gateshead in the league last season despite being part-time and having fewer resources.

slack_pie
11-01-2024, 10:29 AM
I don’t know why people seem so down on Maynard but Mike Williamson was always seen as a good and likely option for us until he went to MK. Wealdstone actually finished above Gateshead in the league last season despite being part-time and having fewer resources.

Fair point! I guess Mike Williamson has a promotion under his belt though. If I'm correct, Maynard came in the season after Wealdstone got promoted. You are right though, he's done a great job keeping them up since then, and they seem to be making steady improvement to the point that they're now in now real danger of getting relegated.

Regardless of what I think, if the bros think he's the right man for the job, then he is.

Chicken Balti Pie
11-01-2024, 10:30 AM

Why is everyone hooked on national league people? We are a much more attractive proposition than when IB left

Notts78
11-01-2024, 10:40 AM
Why is everyone hooked on national league people? We are a much more attractive proposition than when IB left

Nobody is hooked. It’s a conversation based purely on speculation. Swansea picked a manager from 2 leagues below yet we can’t talk about managers from 1 league below?
I can’t be arsed to go back to the threads about LW at the start of his tenure. But I know there were a fair few who questioned it. He was another IB. When he did a presser after a win in pre season and slammed the quality of our play, a few on here said he wouldn’t last. He was another uninspiring choice.
The reality is, Notts have a more than decent squad. If a bloke has failed or been successful elsewhere, it’s not a prerequisite of what will happen at Notts. That applies to players too.

legs77
11-01-2024, 10:50 AM

I guess we wouldnt be able to attract a manager from league above us if we want someone who has managed a first team before.

As for our league Wild stands out as he did a great job at Halifax and is carrying on his good work at Barrow.

Its going to be hard to get an U23 coach from PL/Championship clubs as their wages will likely be higher and its less pressure.

I like everyone else has zero clue who they will appoint as they dont go for the tried/tested failures.

SmiffyPie
11-01-2024, 11:02 AM
I would imagine that the Bros will have more than half an ear on a manager that is hungry, ambitious and has "modern" ideas about the game. I would also think they would not want anyone with an ego (which will discount 75% of higher league managers IMO).

1955pie
11-01-2024, 11:04 AM
I would imagine that the Bros will have more than half an ear on a manager that is hungry, ambitious and has "modern" ideas about the game. I would also think they would not want anyone with an ego (which will discount 75% of higher league managers IMO).

I agree no ego.
Does need someone with a little bit of charisma though, I think.

1955pie
11-01-2024, 11:15 AM
I haven’t a good feeling about that Maynard I feel he will take us backwards and turn out to be another Russell Slade.

Whoever it is and from whatever background, we will have to support him 100%.

PedroTheFisherman66
11-01-2024, 11:33 AM
Whoever it is and from whatever background, we will have to support him 100%.

Including a mr Fullerton?!

1955pie
11-01-2024, 11:39 AM
Including a mr Fullerton?!
We had different owners then.

Wollat11
11-01-2024, 11:42 AM
Checking up a bit it looks like Maynard has 2 promotions under his belt.Hemel into NLS ( and then into playoffs for NL) and Wealdstone into NL. Although nominally as assistant to Dean Brennan. When Brennan went to Barnet Maynard stayed on and has somehow made them competitive at NL. So he's got a bit more under the bonnet than highlighted so far. All the more remarkable that he has a full time job outside of football.

1955pie
11-01-2024, 12:50 PM
Just been reading that Ruaidhri Higgins was approached by Notts in 2022.

slack_pie
11-01-2024, 01:08 PM
Just been reading that Ruaidhri Higgins was approached by Notts in 2022.

Yeah, he openly turned us down. I think that's the only reason he's among the odds at the moment.

slack_pie
11-01-2024, 01:10 PM
I agree no ego.
Does need someone with a little bit of charisma though, I think.

I agree that charisma is important in a leader. LW was very humble and led by example, but he was also charismatic and interesting to listen to. Not easy to replace in that respect. I believe that LW was a better all-round coach than IB, but his personality was also more conducive to igniting passion in players and fans alike.

matt_magpie
11-01-2024, 01:49 PM
Checking up a bit it looks like Maynard has 2 promotions under his belt.Hemel into NLS ( and then into playoffs for NL) and Wealdstone into NL. Although nominally as assistant to Dean Brennan. When Brennan went to Barnet Maynard stayed on and has somehow made them competitive at NL. So he's got a bit more under the bonnet than highlighted so far. All the more remarkable that he has a full time job outside of football.

That’s what I’m saying and the only reason I’ve highlighted him is that I’ve seen Wealdstone play and heard him talk a fair bit, apart from him and Wild I don’t know a lot about the rest being touted which I doubt many do.