PDA

View Full Version : 📝Charlie Colkett signs

DaveSmithRules
31-01-2024, 06:55 PM
Loan signing from Crewe. Former Chelsea youth captain. Played in Sweden and Holland too. Looks like another signing along the lines of Bostock and Crowley.

https://www.nottscountyfc.co.uk/news/2024/january/charlie-colkett-signing-310124/

WarsopPie
31-01-2024, 06:55 PM
Loan signing from Crewe. Former Chelsea youth captain. Played in Sweden and Holland too. Looks like another signing along the lines of Bostock and Crowley.

https://www.nottscountyfc.co.uk/news/2024/january/charlie-colkett-signing-310124/

1 appearance this season. Laughable signing

Glad2BeAPie
31-01-2024, 07:01 PM
So we've signed him because he was a captain at Chelsea, and not what he's done since. Is that right he's only played once this season.

Elite_Pie
31-01-2024, 07:05 PM
1 appearance this season. Laughable signing

I must be a bit strange. I always wait until I've seen players before deciding whether they are good or bad signings.

matt_magpie
31-01-2024, 07:06 PM
Durhams gonna have a field day on this one, apparently injury prone and not good enough to play for a rival, does seem a very strange or desperate one to just get bodies in the building?

WarsopPie
31-01-2024, 07:07 PM

Just seen a comment on Twitter (X) from a Crewe fan “ If we can keep him fit we must have Houdini as our Physio” another comment saying “Hope Notts are covering all his wages as he’s always injured”.
Non ambitious signing IMO when you’re in a position we are in the league with everything to play for still it screams out cheap signing.
C’mon Notts announce something big for us to be happy about.

WarsopPie
31-01-2024, 07:09 PM
I must be a bit strange. I always wait until I've seen players before deciding whether they are good or bad signings.

You’ll be lucky to even see this lad play with his injury record so make sure when you do actually cast eyes on him in a Notts shirt that you fill your boots you may not see him again.

DaveSmithRules
31-01-2024, 07:10 PM
I'm happy to hold judgement until I've seen him play. Although I do hope he's fit enough to make the squad straight away.

If people are sniffy because we've signed him from another L2 team then just remember that Dan Crowley was that guy too.

1955pie
31-01-2024, 07:22 PM
Hope this link works
https://twitter.com/wt_analysis/status/1752767049560928292?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcam p%5Eserp%7Ctwgr%5Etweet
Give the bloke a chance.

magpie_mania
31-01-2024, 07:24 PM

Agreed. I must be strange too.

Could'vebeenacontender
31-01-2024, 07:29 PM
Colkett will know JJ and some of our other players who started with London clubs
No idea whether that has anything to do with it but I guess our new management team also have good knowledge of young players from London
If he stays fit he could really help us

OP67
31-01-2024, 07:30 PM
So two hamstring injuries in the last two years. I guess he can keep Morias and Randall in the treatment room. Bit of an odd signing to be honest. Seems like we've turned into a home for injured players to get fit.

SmiffyPie
31-01-2024, 07:30 PM
Well I have to say that 15 appearances since Aug 22 plus two severe hamstring injuries don't add up to strengthening the squad for me. Crewe say "Houdini as our Physio", I say Mystic Meg must be sitting on the recruiting panel. Still let's see eh?

SwalePie
31-01-2024, 07:31 PM
That Jodi Jones fella has a terrible injury record. Seems to be doing OK though.

crazyfists
31-01-2024, 07:32 PM
Welcome Charlie, looking forward to seeing what you can bring to the team. COYP

keldsyke
31-01-2024, 07:33 PM
Colkett will know JJ and some of our other players who started with London clubs
No idea whether that has anything to do with it but I guess our new management team also have good knowledge of young players from London
If he stays fit he could really help us

If there’s any truth in that doesn’t say much for the recruitment team’s planning targets for the past few months, personally I think there’s other areas on the pitch we need to focus on.

OP67
31-01-2024, 07:34 PM
That Jodi Jones fella has a terrible injury record. Seems to be doing OK though.

Jodi's eat, sleep and live football attitude certainly helped him get back fit and playing. It's all he ever wanted to do. Lets hope the same can be said about Charlie.

matt_magpie
31-01-2024, 07:35 PM

And wasn’t wanted by his previous manager. He’ll get my support, he obviously has some ability as he’s played at a decent level previously.

keldsyke
31-01-2024, 07:35 PM

I’ll counter that with Morias, Randall and Maccari, 1 out of four not good.

PedroTheFisherman66
31-01-2024, 07:43 PM

You weirdo! 🤣

OP67
31-01-2024, 07:44 PM
To be fair he sounds like a top lad and knows a few players well already...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mt8PMgeG3Ws

jacobncfc
31-01-2024, 07:45 PM
Feels a bit of a wait and see what happens tomorrow signing. Get another in (Jatta!!) and it seems fine to take a risk on, Jones was similar last Jan and worked out spectacularly.

MapperleyMagpie
31-01-2024, 07:47 PM
I'll give him time but personally been very very underwhelmed with our business this January .

CamPie
31-01-2024, 07:48 PM

My thoughts exactly

CamPie
31-01-2024, 07:49 PM
Agreed. I must be strange too.

Me too . As Swale said in a later post - remember JJs recent injury record before he joined us.

ajojones
31-01-2024, 07:54 PM
I'm happy to hold judgement until I've seen him play. Although I do hope he's fit enough to make the squad straight away.

If people are sniffy because we've signed him from another L2 team then just remember that Dan Crowley was that guy too.

As was JJ and Bostock. Crikey we have some miserable 'fans'. Give him a chance at least.

BigFatPie
31-01-2024, 08:04 PM
As was JJ and Bostock. Crikey we have some miserable 'fans'. Give him a chance at least.

The good thing about the internet is that you can look at a new signing’s record and be excited, underwhelmed or a bit non plussed while still wanting to give em a chance on the pitch. I’m definitely in the latter category on this one.

Comparisons with Jodi Jones are a bit of a stretch, he’d torn us and the rest of the league a new one before he got injured. Hamstrings are a bit of a worry as well.

durhampie
31-01-2024, 08:12 PM
Durhams gonna have a field day on this one, apparently injury prone and not good enough to play for a rival, does seem a very strange or desperate one to just get bodies in the building?

Do we advertise in the Physio Weekly for these people...

TedBovisPie
31-01-2024, 08:14 PM
He’s only come on loan so it’s not too much of a gamble if he turns out to be a crock.

matt_magpie
31-01-2024, 08:14 PM

😂

queenslandpie
31-01-2024, 08:15 PM
I will put my trust in a recruitment process that has generally worked ( although arguably not for short term and loan signings) but we need a striker. If Langstaff gets injured season is over.

jackal2
31-01-2024, 08:27 PM
He’s only come on loan so it’s not too much of a gamble if he turns out to be a crock.

Presumably that will be the logic. A player with a good pedigree but who has had a bad run with injuries, so take a bit of a punt on his fitness in return for the prospect of a bit of quality when he plays. Crewe have always been a passing team so he should be a good fit in terms of style.

Some of the responses on this thread hark back to the days of 'marquee signings' as if that strategy was a success, but it was actually a miserable failure. I've no idea how Colkett will perform or how often, but any new signing deserves to be given a chance by Notts "fans".

Elite_Pie
31-01-2024, 08:34 PM
Some of the responses on this thread hark back to the days of 'marquee signings'.

Remember Danny Haynes?

A 'marquee signing lethal striker' who scored 3 goals in 23 games!

Old_pie
31-01-2024, 08:38 PM
Remember Danny Haynes?

Yes but his first goal was a good one in his first match if I remember correctly. After that I don't remember anything that he did.

irishpete
31-01-2024, 08:47 PM
Is he a replacement like for like for Gosling ffs??🤣🤣

Iremongersrighthand
31-01-2024, 09:05 PM
This ⬆️⬆️⬆️⬆️⬆️⬆️⬆️⬆️⬆️
Welcome to the Lane Charlie 👍

drillerpie
31-01-2024, 09:06 PM
Presumably that will be the logic. A player with a good pedigree but who has had a bad run with injuries, so take a bit of a punt on his fitness in return for the prospect of a bit of quality when he plays. Crewe have always been a passing team so he should be a good fit in terms of style.

Some of the responses on this thread hark back to the days of 'marquee signings' as if that strategy was a success, but it was actually a miserable failure. I've no idea how Colkett will perform or how often, but any new signing deserves to be given a chance by Notts "fans".

Completely agree. In the same way as we are now going to go for young up and coming coaches rather than established managers, we are also going to go for young players overcoming injuries and with a point to prove. We are looking for value in the market rather than paying a premium. If they don't turn out to be good, we let them go, and if they are good we tie them down with a long contract and cash in after 18 months or so. Rinse and repeat.

I've no idea if it will work consistently but I'm happy for us to give it a try.

Kent Magpie
31-01-2024, 09:11 PM
Remember Danny Haynes?

Tony Agana?

SwalePie
31-01-2024, 09:27 PM
He's an extremely technically skilful player. Here's hoping he can get back to his best here and stay fit.

Mark_Ross
31-01-2024, 09:32 PM

Welcome to Meadow Lane Royal Infirmary, Chas.

queenslandpie
31-01-2024, 09:34 PM
Tony Agana?

750k and 15 goals in 145 games.

Not prolific but I seem to remember he ended up on the wing?

MAD_MAGPIE
31-01-2024, 10:01 PM
Completely agree. In the same way as we are now going to go for young up and coming coaches rather than established managers, we are also going to go for young players overcoming injuries and with a point to prove. We are looking for value in the market rather than paying a premium. If they don't turn out to be good, we let them go, and if they are good we tie them down with a long contract and cash in after 18 months or so. Rinse and repeat.

I've no idea if it will work consistently but I'm happy for us to give it a try.

When I read former Chelsea youth team captain this jumped out at the page for me. The reason being is to be a former youth captain at one of the top clubs in the country you’ve got to have the right character first and foremost and have something about you. Then you have also got to have excellent technical ability and be skilful on the ball. These are the kind of players we should be targeting if we want to play the style we do because they have had a good footballing education. See Cowley who was at Arsenal.

Alright so he may have had a couple of set backs in his career recently and not featured much but we should not be so quick to dismiss players who are at a point in their career where they have a point to prove and where they can fully establish themselves at a club. He’s been on loan at league one clubs so should be able to do a job once over his injury problems.

Chicken Balti Pie
31-01-2024, 10:14 PM
When I read former Chelsea youth team captain this jumped out at the page for me. The reason being is to be a former youth captain at one of the top clubs in the country you’ve got to have the right character first and foremost and have something about you. Then you have also got to have excellent technical ability and be skilful on the ball. These are the kind of players we should be targeting if we want to play the style we do because they have had a good footballing education. See Cowley who was at Arsenal.

Alright so he may have had a couple of set backs in his career recently and not featured much but we should not be so quick to dismiss players who are at a point in their career where they have a point to prove and where they can fully establish themselves at a club. He’s been on loan at league one clubs so should be able to do a job once over his injury problems.

Ed Francis was Man City's academy captain...

jacobncfc
31-01-2024, 10:42 PM
Ed Francis was Man City's academy captain...

Francis was a decent player for us, not outstanding but mostly contributed positively for two seasons. Excelling now at Gateshead and looked set to move to MK Dons for £200k until he got a freak head injury a few weeks back.

irish_pie
31-01-2024, 10:49 PM
Welcome aboard sir...let's hope you hit the ground running...back to full fitness apparently so looking forward to seeing what he's all about

Chicken Balti Pie
31-01-2024, 10:55 PM
Francis was a decent player for us, not outstanding but mostly contributed positively for two seasons. Excelling now at Gateshead and looked set to move to MK Dons for £200k until he got a freak head injury a few weeks back.

Was he though? Vincent had more of an engine but was inexplicably dropped by IB. When LW came in, he was way behind Palmer, JoB and to an extent Vincent and Bostock was the final nail in the coffin. I have no problem with his work ethic, but he was too lightweight and didn't show enough to over come that

lunaspie
31-01-2024, 10:59 PM

It certainly doesn't appear to be Health and Efficiency. [one for the oldies ]

Big Bob
31-01-2024, 11:14 PM
Another bench warmer

Big Bob
31-01-2024, 11:22 PM
Is that the best we can do?

Lullapie
31-01-2024, 11:33 PM
Haven't I seen him somewhere before? He's one of our own!

25647 25648

Elite_Pie
31-01-2024, 11:34 PM
It certainly doesn't appear to be Health and Efficiency. [one for the oldies ]

Health and Efficiency did give a few of us some wrist exercise!

since41
31-01-2024, 11:53 PM

Those were the Breast of times.

1955pie
01-02-2024, 12:30 AM
Welcome aboard sir...let's hope you hit the ground running...back to full fitness apparently so looking forward to seeing what he's all about

Must be close to being match fit. He has been on the Crewe bench for their last 3 games.

Notts78
01-02-2024, 01:08 AM
I have no idea about this lad. What I do know is we signed Jones and Bostock on the back of being injury prone.. both turned out ok.

uysapie
01-02-2024, 01:12 AM
If he is any good, why would Crewe loan him out to a promotion rival?

Notts78
01-02-2024, 01:24 AM

If we signed a Championship loan player, would the same question apply?

PedroTheFisherman66
01-02-2024, 01:28 AM
Is that the best we can do?

I'm not sure , how good is he bob or is he poor if you are asking such a question, when you saw him play was he mediocre, poor or just plain awful.? what would you say his weakness is then ? Who would you want instead ?

lunaspie
01-02-2024, 01:43 AM

There was a surfeit of blue beach balls.

queenslandpie
01-02-2024, 01:59 AM

I mean we have never taken players before who dont fit other clubs playing styles and made them work have we? I mean they couldn't possibly want to free up the wage bill to bring someone in close to the end of the transfer window could they?

uysapie
01-02-2024, 02:28 AM
If we signed a Championship loan player, would the same question apply?

No, that would hopefully be an improvement.

uysapie
01-02-2024, 02:30 AM
I mean we have never taken players before who dont fit other clubs playing styles and made them work have we? I mean they couldn't possibly want to free up the wage bill to bring someone in close to the end of the transfer window could they?

Which could improve their squad but not necessarily ours.

PedroTheFisherman66
01-02-2024, 03:13 AM

Surely that is the same with any player !? They don't want him as they don't rate him or is on to much money for their wage bill , we do and think he could do a job for us at a wage we think is right ? an age old conundrum.

queenslandpie
01-02-2024, 04:57 AM

Have you bought one of those special glasses from Amazon? You know the ones that can only be half full?

i961pie
01-02-2024, 05:06 AM

Not on here you dont.

drillerpie
01-02-2024, 05:57 AM

25647 25648

The key things for me would be is he an accurate passer (everything points to yes) and after that is he quick and agile?

Speed is so important in modern midfields and we are not blessed with too much pace in Bostock / Robertson / JoB.

Elite_Pie
01-02-2024, 10:05 AM
Not on here you dont.

Which players have I judged before seeing them?

1955pie
01-02-2024, 10:35 AM

25647 25648
Appears to be a more defensive midfielder than Matty Palmer.
Perhaps they are thinking of pushing John Bostock further forward?
I'd like to see a chart comparing him to JB.

SmiffyPie
01-02-2024, 10:42 AM
There was a surfeit of blue beach balls.Yes, a very cold wind in those dunes at Gibraltar Point.

durhampie
01-02-2024, 10:45 AM
Appears to be a more defensive midfielder than Matty Palmer.
Perhaps they are thinking of pushing John Bostock further forward?
I'd like to see a chart comparing him to JB.

Perhaps they are thinking of dropping him due to his recent woeful performances....