PDA

View Full Version : Macari Interview

MapperleyMagpie
14-02-2024, 10:17 PM
I love that lad! What a fun , honest and refreshing interview. No sound bites, no clichés , just a young man happy and excited to be playing for us. He had a fabulous game and yes Jodi gets all the plaudits but often to defenders eyes were taken off Jodi as Lewis got behind them with overlaps on many occasions. Long may his enthusiasm and energy for the game continue.

SwalePie
14-02-2024, 10:34 PM
His infectious enthusiasm must also be good to have in the dressing room I imagine. Just a good lad appreciating how lucky he is to be playing footie for a living.

matt_magpie
15-02-2024, 08:25 AM
His energy was great getting down the wing often dragging another defender away from Jodi, it worked really well.

ncfcog
15-02-2024, 08:42 AM
His reaction to Bracegirdle's "coupon buster" comment was just wonderful, obviously didn't have a clue what he was on about!

slack_pie
15-02-2024, 08:50 AM
His energy was great getting down the wing often dragging another defender away from Jodi, it worked really well.

Definitely. Although Jodi didn't always use him, having those overlaps made it so difficult for Newport's defenders, allowing Jodi to cut inside more effectively. Plus, Macari is a defender first and foremost - I like that after the last few months!

Seems a cracking young lad. Glad he signed permanently.

OP67
15-02-2024, 08:53 AM
His reaction to Bracegirdle's "coupon buster" comment was just wonderful, obviously didn't have a clue what he was on about!

Think most people under 50 would have no idea. Bracegirdle really isn't a football comentator though, he's painful to listen to!!

Old_pie
15-02-2024, 08:53 AM

"must have bust a few coupons" - I guess only betting folk would use the term and not one I've come across though I'd sort of worked it out. Good of Bracegirdle to totally rephrase the comment.

Do we know what Macari's issues were? Hope it's all sorted. It seems that the formation allowed Jodi to be more adventurous knowing there was cover rather than fearing what would happen if he lost the ball.

OP67
15-02-2024, 08:58 AM
"must have bust a few coupons" - I guess only betting folk would use the term and not one I've come across though I'd sort of worked it out. Good of Bracegirdle to totally rephrase the comment.

Do we know what Macari's issues were? Hope it's all sorted. It seems that the formation allowed Jodi to be more adventurous knowing there was cover rather than fearing what would happen if he lost the ball.

Coupons were old small time football betting papers, I remember my dad doing them now and again. With Macrai behind Jodi was didn't have to think about his defencive duties as much and could just roam more, worked a treat.

ladyretfordpie
15-02-2024, 09:21 AM

and neither did I! I think it just sums Bracegirdle up, an absolute dinosaur. Can't stand to hear his voice and just wish Adam Hassel would be on more. Of course, the dream would be for Charlie to come back....

slack_pie
15-02-2024, 09:30 AM
and neither did I! I think it just sums Bracegirdle up, an absolute dinosaur. Can't stand to hear his voice and just wish Adam Hassel would be on more. Of course, the dream would be for Charlie to come back....

I quite like Bracegirdle. He's not your typical cookie-cutter commentator, and like Uncle Colin, he has his own quirks. Not in the same league as either of the Slaters, of course, but then nobody is.

tommopie8
15-02-2024, 09:43 AM
I quite like Bracegirdle. He's not your typical cookie-cutter commentator, and like Uncle Colin, he has his own quirks. Not in the same league as either of the Slaters, of course, but then nobody is.

He's awful. Cuts across Stall, boring storyteller and you can absolutely tell he's a cricket commentator.

Bet the players dread him turning up and boring the arse off them.

freemuzzy
15-02-2024, 09:51 AM

He comes across as a nice guy, very authentic and agree in terms of style he’s much closer to Colin than Charlie Slater. Charlie was always going to be a hard act to follow as he was ‘above’ the level; compare the quality of and what was extracted from some of the post-match interviews from last season to this. The ‘coupon buster’ seemed an example of filler when effectively he didn’t know what to ask.

But I think Bracegirdle’s about par level for BBC local radio, though he is blessed in having Stallard alongside him to mask his lack of football knowledge. It was a bit painful after the Gillingham game when he asked Maynard if he’d ever consider switching to a back four in-future, when he’d just done that for the last 20 mins of that match!

slack_pie
15-02-2024, 09:52 AM
He's awful. Cuts across Stall, boring storyteller and you can absolutely tell he's a cricket commentator.

I think we've been spoiled by Colin and Charlie to the point where we don't know what an average-to-good commentator sounds like. He's not great, but he's not awful.

upthemaggies
15-02-2024, 09:53 AM
I don't mind Bracegirdle, I warmed to him the moment he managed to get the name Kendo Nagasaki into a Notts commentary. The BBC could do a lot worse than him.
I expect Hasselll will takeover at some point but ideally you need to be at least around 29/30 before you can cut it as a commentator, you need an air of authority and to be confident in calling out poor performances/officiating, it never sounds quite right when they're younger than most of the players on the pitch.

slack_pie
15-02-2024, 10:32 AM
I don't mind Bracegirdle, I warmed to him the moment he managed to get the name Kendo Nagasaki into a Notts commentary. The BBC could do a lot worse than him.
I expect Hasselll will takeover at some point but ideally you need to be at least around 29/30 before you can cut it as a commentator, you need an air of authority and to be confident in calling out poor performances/officiating, it never sounds quite right when they're younger than most of the players on the pitch.

Exactly, he's quirky, and we've always had that type of commentator. Colin Slater was the ultimate quicky commentator with his distinctive voice and way of saying things. Charlie Slater was much more polished, but his sense of humour and fun was a joy, especially alongside Stall. Bracegirdle isn't in their league, but he's at least fairly unique. It could definitely be worse. I don't really want to name names as it seems mean, but some of the commentators on Radio Nottingham are pretty awful.

queenslandpie
15-02-2024, 10:41 AM

Which interview was that?! I had to google the name I assumed it was some random opposition player and was quite surprised by the history.

TheBlackHorse
15-02-2024, 10:50 AM
... so we have a temporary halt in criticising players, management. Oh look, let's have a go at commentators ...

CheltenhamPie
15-02-2024, 10:54 AM
[QUOTE=Old_pie;40449739]"must have bust a few coupons" - I guess only betting folk would use the term and not one I've come across though I'd sort of worked it out. Good of Bracegirdle to totally rephrase the comment.

I may be wrong, but I believe that the football pools run by the likes of Littlewoods and Vernons were known as coupons.

Thordardaughter
15-02-2024, 10:54 AM
... so we have a temporary halt in criticising players, management. Oh look, let's have a go at commentators ...

We could have much worse ie the 2 clowns who commentate for the stags.
They must be the most biased and lacking in football knowledge I’ve ever heard.

Chicken Balti Pie
15-02-2024, 10:58 AM

Sounds just like their fan base then

SaltySeaDog
15-02-2024, 11:35 AM
[QUOTE=Old_pie;40449739]

I may be wrong, but I believe that the football pools run by the likes of Littlewoods and Vernons were known as coupons.

That's what I thought. No chance of Macari having a clue what he was talking about!

matt_magpie
15-02-2024, 11:43 AM
Interesting snippet that SM had Cameron, Baldwin and Warner doing the pre match drills to throw Newport off the scent we were playing 4 at the back, crafty and no doubt worked as they eventually changed shape.

Old_pie
15-02-2024, 11:49 AM
[QUOTE=Old_pie;40449739]"must have bust a few coupons" - I guess only betting folk would use the term and not one I've come across though I'd sort of worked it out. Good of Bracegirdle to totally rephrase the comment.

I had vaguely remembered the term and there was a time in the '60's when my Dad and I would do the Football Pools. I remember once my Mum who knew nothing of football being offered an option and she put Crewe v Tottenham in the FA Cup as a draw and we both laughed. Crewe 2 - 2 Tottenham. The expected result occured in the White Hart Lane replay, 13-2

Anyhow, we are on the internet and Wikipedia tells us:

"Competitions for predicting the results of football matches are older than the football league itself. The Cricket and Football Field newspaper, in its edition of 10 September 1887, offered a prize of one guinea to "the Competitor who predicts the results" of four football matches to be played the following Saturday. Readers were invited to cut out and fill in a coupon printed in the newspaper, which had to be sent to the newspaper's offices by the Friday before the matches."

queenslandpie
15-02-2024, 11:49 AM
Interesting snippet that SM had Cameron, Baldwin and Warner doing the pre match drills to throw Newport off the scent we were playing 4 at the back, crafty and no doubt worked as they eventually changed shape.

Bracegirdle broadly picked that up on the commentary, but I don't think it made a huge difference anyway. This was mentioned in dispatches by others a day or two ago and just shows the outstanding level of detail. Bravo! Lewis looked extremely nervous in his interview, but he did a fantastic job on the pitch. He will go a long way and it's very good news to see such a grounded chap signing a contract in a position where we need strength.

upthemaggies
15-02-2024, 11:51 AM
Which interview was that?! I had to google the name I assumed it was some random opposition player and was quite surprised by the history.

It was during a game, away to one of the London area sides last season I think, it made me laugh. Took me right back to watching the wrestling with my grandparents and waiting for the results service with Dickie Davies straight after.

OP67
15-02-2024, 12:01 PM

That was it, was so long ago I couldn't remember the companies involved but now I've had a flashback of wearing flares XD

SwalePie
15-02-2024, 12:23 PM
That was it, was so long ago I couldn't remember the companies involved but now I've had a flashback of wearing flares XD

Zetters was another pools company IIRC

since41
15-02-2024, 12:30 PM
They're still going I was still doing them a couple of years back.

Dinno_Pie
15-02-2024, 12:36 PM
The old Littlewoods/Vernons weekly football pools entries were indeed known as coupons. But as far as I know the high street bookies still use paper ‘coupons’ for fixed odds football betting. On these you mark down your selections to predict the results of matches, usually home, away or draw. Due to the often poor odds offered for match results that might be viewed more of a certainty, you often need to pick several matches to get a better return and put them in an accumulator. These days they’re commonly known as an ‘acca’. You must have heard Jeff Stelling talking about your Saturday accas. As we know in football there’s no such thing as a ‘cert’ and often there’ll be one match that throws up the least expected result thus ruining your ‘acca’. So that’s when you’d use the term ‘coupon buster’. I think it’s a common term known to even younger betting fans these days. So Notts winning at Newport was probably a ‘coupon buster’ as many, other than the most optimistic Notts fans, would have predicted a Newport win or at worst a draw. Hope that’s helped those out there who’ve no knowledge of the gambling world and not bored those of you who have.

Going back to the football, nice to see Macari back in the side and speaking with a positive attitude about defending. We’ve certainly been in need of that.

upthemaggies
15-02-2024, 12:57 PM
Zetters was another pools company IIRC

Yes, I'd forgotten about them.

https://www.barterbooks.co.uk/catalog/images/books/nwf74.jpg

This one is "Copes Pools" who I don't remember.
30/Sep/1972
https://i2-prod.insider.co.uk/incoming/article9895595.ece/ALTERNATES/s1200b/Football-Pools.jpg

crazyfists
15-02-2024, 01:38 PM

Agreed, these two were so hard to listen to the other week, absolute garbage, so biased and blow their lid at winning a throw in.

Blackhoss, aren't we allowed to have our own opinion on things? I find Bracegirdle hard work sometimes but seems a nice guy. And we lost 3 in a row with the last game being the worst I've seen us play for some time, aren't people allowed to put negative things after what was an embarrassing performance? Bloody hell ha ha.

Old_pie
15-02-2024, 01:50 PM
The old Littlewoods/Vernons weekly football pools entries were indeed known as coupons. But as far as I know the high street bookies still use paper ‘coupons’ for fixed odds football betting. On these you mark down your selections to predict the results of matches, usually home, away or draw. Due to the often poor odds offered for match results that might be viewed more of a certainty, you often need to pick several matches to get a better return and put them in an accumulator. These days they’re commonly known as an ‘acca’. You must have heard Jeff Stelling talking about your Saturday accas. As we know in football there’s no such thing as a ‘cert’ and often there’ll be one match that throws up the least expected result thus ruining your ‘acca’. So that’s when you’d use the term ‘coupon buster’. I think it’s a common term known to even younger betting fans these days. So Notts winning at Newport was probably a ‘coupon buster’ as many, other than the most optimistic Notts fans, would have predicted a Newport win or at worst a draw. Hope that’s helped those out there who’ve no knowledge of the gambling world and not bored those of you who have.

Coincidentally the other day I was intrigued by the term "nap". I think there is an ad on ClassicFM. I'd always known it to be something about betting but only recently learnt that it was related to the card game Napoleon and a "nap hand".

upthemaggies
15-02-2024, 01:58 PM
Agreed, these two were so hard to listen to the other week, absolute garbage, so biased and blow their lid at winning a throw in.

Andy White is their co-commentator, the same Andy White who briefly played for us under Thordarsson I think. I listened to him and Garner last Saturday and White didn't stop interjecting and making noises throughout. Garner, though he has improved a lot, is still in the habit of swallowing and then correcting himself far too often. It would drive me mad listening to those two every week. That all said, it's not an easy job, very very few of the national broadcasters - current, retired or no longer with us - have been universally liked.

ladyretfordpie
15-02-2024, 02:21 PM

absolutely agree. He just talks drivel whilst the match is being played. You presume nothing is happening on the field with his waffling with meaningless facts, but having watched the match on Ifollow, I know he's actually talking whilst action is happening. And as you say, he talks over Stall and there is zero chemistry between them. hence no commentary cam anymore. Roll on the cricket season when hopefully, he'll disappear

marky
15-02-2024, 03:53 PM
Bracegirdle is an excellent cricket commentator but on football he is a bit dull and you can clearly tell he doesn't really like Notts by his commentary when we score.

ArabianNotts
15-02-2024, 04:59 PM
I felt very old when he mentioned his grandfather in the stands.

Someone asked about the term nap. All newspapers had tipsters, who picked the winners for each racecourse. Their nap was the one they most expected to win.

SinceSept1959
15-02-2024, 06:05 PM
Quite happily listened to Bracegirdle and Stall the other night , my Son- in Law and young grandson , were on hols in Tenby and did a 204 mile round trip to Newport. Lucky chap.
As much as I loved Colin , Charlie was a different class especially teamed with Stall.
Very fortunate we don't have to listen to the Radio Reds duo or Garner /White on matchdays.
Great to see Lewis Mac & Robbo given a chance and acquitting themselves so well. A shame that Grandad Lou didn't see Lewis on the pitch when visiting last Friday night.

maddogslater
15-02-2024, 06:44 PM
Yes, I'd forgotten about them.

https://www.barterbooks.co.uk/catalog/images/books/nwf74.jpg

This one is "Copes Pools" who I don't remember.
30/Sep/1972
https://i2-prod.insider.co.uk/incoming/article9895595.ece/ALTERNATES/s1200b/Football-Pools.jpg

Sunderland 4 forest 1
Notts co 1 Brentford 0
Darlington 2 Mansfield 3

Get a life me, OK 👍

nw6pie
15-02-2024, 07:42 PM
It was during a game, away to one of the London area sides last season I think, it made me laugh. Took me right back to watching the wrestling with my grandparents and waiting for the results service with Dickie Davies straight after.

You can always rely on Half Man Half Biscuit to namecheck Kendo Nagasaki in a song:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lccRMMCsqn0

Elite_Pie
15-02-2024, 08:19 PM
The old football coupon brings back a few random memories. The collector would call round midweek, presumably because he needed time to post or get all the entries picked up and back to head office. The term 'pools' was because all the money collected went into a pool, the organisers deducted their 'expenses', and what was left was shared between the winners. I remember my grandparents had a toilet roll holder that stated "Don't sit here all day dreaming of what you'd do with that £50,00 if you won the pools"!

I also remember that when the footy results were read out on the BBC, the pools panel would give their verdict on any postponed games. The pools panel consisted of a group of ex-players and officials, and they only predicted the result not the score. This counted as the result for whatever you had selected on your coupon.

SinceSept1959
15-02-2024, 09:14 PM
Aye the good old days Dickie Davies etc.
Games typically started 3 pm & 7.30pm and finished at 4.40 pm and 9.10 pm.
Except those with floodlight issues , who would kick off at 2.15 and 6 pm ala Spirites at Saltergate and Stags 7.15 on Monday Nights.
Notts used to play Thursday nights because of Thurs half day closing in Nottm.
Went to a game v Stockport in Oct '65 .
Thick fog came down at 7.25 just as the teams came out and not a ball was kicked. I Bought the match programme as a memento on my last visit to Bakewell market.
Brentford used to be sponsored ? by Brentford Nylons which were subject to some ribald chanting by the Old Kop.
Yes, I recalled the other pools companies but others have already named them.
In seniority , Littlewoods, Vernon's
(Vernon Sangster ) Zetters, Copes . There were also W.S.Murphy in Edinburgh and Western Pools in Newport.

Then of course came Spot the Ball too.

nw6pie
15-02-2024, 10:06 PM
Aye the good old days Dickie Davies etc.
Games typically started 3 pm & 7.30pm and finished at 4.40 pm and 9.10 pm.
Except those with floodlight issues , who would kick off at 2.15 and 6 pm ala Spirites at Saltergate and Stags 7.15 on Monday Nights.
Thick fog came down at 7.25 just as the teams came out and not a ball was kicked. I Bought the match programme as a memento on my last visit to Bakewell market.
Brentford used to be sponsored ? by Brentford Nylons which were subject to some ribald chanting by the Old Kop.
Yes, I recalled the other pools companies but others have already named them.
In seniority , Littlewoods, Vernon's
(Vernon Sangster ) Zetters, Copes . There were also W.S.Murphy in Edinburgh and Western Pools in Newport.

Then of course came Spot the Ball too.

I didn’t know that about Notts playing on a Thursday - I think the only time I’ve seen us play on a Thursday (other than at Christmas) was when we beat Bristol Rovers 3-1 in 1990, having played Birmingham on the Tuesday and then Wigan on the Saturday.

Didn’t Chesterfield used to kick off at 3:15 at Saltergate, not earlier? And Torquay always used to be an evening kickoff on Saturdays - dread to think what time away fans would get back home in those days.

upthemaggies
15-02-2024, 10:21 PM

If the season is right (1965/66 with those distinctive green programme covers), I reckon you might be thinking of Tranmere home on Tuesday 28th December 1965 (7.30pm) which was abandoned due to fog after what Colin Slater described as 14 farcical fruitless minutes.
The Stockport home fixture that season on Thursday 16th September 1965 finished 1-1. The last of the regular Thursday night games took place 7th October 1965 v Colchester, won 1-0. Notts then switched to Wednesday nights before settling on Tuesdays from 1973/74.

upthemaggies
15-02-2024, 10:31 PM
I didn’t know that about Notts playing on a Thursday - I think the only time I’ve seen us play on a Thursday (other than at Christmas) was when we beat Bristol Rovers 3-1 in 1990, having played Birmingham on the Tuesday and then Wigan on the Saturday.

Didn’t Chesterfield used to kick off at 3:15 at Saltergate, not earlier? And Torquay always used to be an evening kickoff on Saturdays - dread to think what time away fans would get back home in those days.

I'm pretty sure we only ever played Torquay during their Saturday evening phase once, in April 1972 (so the weather was probably decent enough to make a full day of it), we got a 1-1 draw with Masson netting from the spot.
Bizarrely there was a season or two late 60s when a lot of clubs moved to a Saturday evening kick off on Grand National day, we played Newport away at 6.30pm in 1969, this was probably due to peak interest following that race in 1967 that resulted in total carnage.

OldBanksy
15-02-2024, 11:37 PM
If I'm watching on TV, I'm feeling sorry for the radio listener. Bracegirdle spends too little time describing the action and too much time on chitchat. A player can do something excellent and Bracegirdle completely overlooks it. Stal does an excellent job of recapping the major incidents, which is not an easy job.

the_anticlough
16-02-2024, 05:53 AM
If I'm watching on TV, I'm feeling sorry for the radio listener. Bracegirdle spends too little time describing the action and too much time on chitchat. A player can do something excellent and Bracegirdle completely overlooks it. Stal does an excellent job of recapping the major incidents, which is not an easy job.

I think he was on a bet v Gills to say 'magenta' 50 times...but still useful for the radio listener, they need to know that the shirt colour hasn't changed

maddogslater
16-02-2024, 08:40 AM
Captain magenta used to make random appearances on Captain scarlet

ladyretfordpie
16-02-2024, 10:04 AM
I think he was on a bet v Gills to say 'magenta' 50 times...but still useful for the radio listener, they need to know that the shirt colour hasn't changed

and to mention how wonderful Baldwin was! I think he has a crush

Observerpie
16-02-2024, 12:11 PM
Back to the kick off times etc, didn't Southend, at one time, play their home games on Friday evening as there was a market there on Saturday?

drillerpie
16-02-2024, 12:38 PM

Yes that crossed my mind a couple of times against Newport. A lot of action gets sacrificed at the altar of his Partidgey anecdotes and whimsical musings that are probably great between overs in a county cricket match but not for a football match.

tied_up_in_notts
16-02-2024, 12:42 PM
Back to the kick off times etc, didn't Southend, at one time, play their home games on Friday evening as there was a market there on Saturday?
Yes there was a Saturday market at the back of one of their stands, in the club car park I think, so they played all their home games Friday night

the_anticlough
16-02-2024, 12:44 PM
and to mention how wonderful Baldwin was! I think he has a crush

As regular as clockwork at around the 75min mark (but as an AB fan I don't mind that :) ).
Overall, I don't mind DBG at all. He's pretty good at his job - knowledgeable and does his homework. Maybe he should describe the play more. Is there too much expected of commentators to be wits and raconteurs? This is where they go wrong IMO (DBG not the worst for this), nobody follows a football match to be exposed to one guy's 'unique' sense of humour. Good-humoured yes, but humorous? Not so much

cher1
16-02-2024, 12:58 PM
Yes there was a Saturday market at the back of one of their stands, in the club car park I think, so they played all their home games Friday night

That's interesting as my first Notts match was away at Southend and I can just remember it was dark (and my dad hiring a cushion for me to sit on!). Checked on UTM's site and it was a Friday night match. Now I know why.

lunaspie
16-02-2024, 01:40 PM
That's interesting as my first Notts match was away at Southend and I can just remember it was dark (and my dad hiring a cushion for me to sit on!). Checked on UTM's site and it was a Friday night match. Now I know why.

Was this the game where Mick Rose defied all that the Shrimpers threw at him and we sneaked a thoroughly undeserved 1-0 ?

upthemaggies
16-02-2024, 02:48 PM
For a period, Tranmere became the club chiefly associated with Friday fixtures, making the switch permanent as they'd always clash with either Liverpool or Everton on a Saturday afternoon. A move that likely played some part (possibly a very big one) in their rapid ascent. Saint & Greavsie began showing reports of their games introduced as "our Friday night favourites" which must have generated a lot of interest in them, no club in the bottom two tiers (or even tier 2) got as much national publicity as them at the time and they went from struggling in the 4th tier to top half 2nd tier promotion challengers almost overnight, boasting some big name signings and eventually reaching the League Cup Final.

marky
16-02-2024, 03:23 PM
Colchester used to play a lot of Friday night fixtures in the 90's as well.

MAD_MAGPIE
17-02-2024, 11:12 AM
I love that lad! What a fun , honest and refreshing interview. No sound bites, no clichés , just a young man happy and excited to be playing for us. He had a fabulous game and yes Jodi gets all the plaudits but often to defenders eyes were taken off Jodi as Lewis got behind them with overlaps on many occasions. Long may his enthusiasm and energy for the game continue.

A bit late to this but I've just listened to the interview and I think it's a breath of fresh air. Lewis Macari comes across as a really likeable personality and you can tell it's a joy for him to be playing football for a living and following in his grandads footsteps.

I'm pleased that Notts are having the right kind of characters coming to the club now compared to sometimes in the past. Again it's about building that reputation and providing a platform as a good place for young up and coming ambitious players and coaches to come and develop and grow whilst taking the club forward as well.