PDA

View Full Version : Notts County Players you would like to share a pint with (or have done)

ThaiPie
18-02-2024, 03:19 PM
I once bumped into Pedro Richards, and had a lovely football chat, over a couple of bevies. I think many Notts fans might have had the same good fortune. Modern day, I'd love to have a pint with Mark Stallard, but I would would worry he might think I'm a bit dull, compared to his incisive commentary.
Just wondered if any other posters have similar good memories, without giving away any trade secrets.

maddogslater
18-02-2024, 05:51 PM
Had a few with former players, Alan Judge, Lee Hughes...on the booze and coke !! not a pint but had a few mugs of tea with Don Masson.

forwardmagpie
18-02-2024, 06:22 PM
Had a few pints with Jimmy at the Cross Keys in Burton Joyce - some great stories

BigFatPie
18-02-2024, 06:50 PM
Macca seems like a great lad. Pleasant, fun, down to earth. Unfortunately im sure he wouldn’t want to drink with an owd codger like me.

Big Bob
18-02-2024, 07:36 PM
Had a few beers with Brian Stubbs over the years in sports bar. Absolute sound bloke

DaveSmithRules
18-02-2024, 07:45 PM
About 10 years back I was doing some work with speedster Kevin Bartlett and met him a few times in coffee shops in town. Lovely bloke. He was late once and I made jokes along the lines of "You didn't pack your trainers then?"

Elite_Pie
18-02-2024, 09:37 PM
I can't think of any Notts players I would like to share a pint with.

They are fairly well paid, let them buy their own.

Davy500
19-02-2024, 01:21 AM
Cherry - lee Hughes _ Tommy Johnson ...

slack_pie
19-02-2024, 07:30 AM
I remember having a beer with Billy Dearden after the Newquay pre-season friendly. Seemed a nice and down to earth bloke.

Davy500
19-02-2024, 05:40 PM
About 10 years back I was doing some work with speedster Kevin Bartlett and met him a few times in coffee shops in town. Lovely bloke. He was late once and I made jokes along the lines of "You didn't pack your trainers then?"

I liked Bartlett a very good player

Davy500
19-02-2024, 05:40 PM
Esp against Man City in FA Cup - one of the best Notts matches of all time

Davy500
19-02-2024, 05:51 PM
https://youtu.be/acdX9XH20cw

chaincey.ncfc
19-02-2024, 06:06 PM
I used to regularly sit with Gerry Carver and do the quiz n The Flying Horse in Arnold on a Sunday and he was a great person to chat to,he would talk about his days at Notts but not in a big headed way,just nice reminisces

Davy500
19-02-2024, 06:18 PM
Cherry said it was the best game of his career

MapperleyMagpie
19-02-2024, 07:34 PM
Had a chat and drink with Phil Turner ( another legend ) at the old Arnold Town ground in centre of Arnold. He used to frequent there. Also had a chat with Jimmy Sirrel and few players from the Big Sam squad after I bagged a ticket for the celebration ceremony in the council house overlooking all the Notts fans in market square. I still pinch myself and wonder how that happened.

MapperleyMagpie
19-02-2024, 07:35 PM
Blagged a ticket

The Dug Out
19-02-2024, 08:32 PM
Had a couple of drinks with the great Tony Hateley in Preston,he was my hero,a few years later he became ill.
Also used to sit with Tommy Lawton in Oakleigh Lodge on Highbury Vale.

Davy500
19-02-2024, 10:07 PM
Had a chat and drink with Phil Turner ( another legend ) at the old Arnold Town ground in centre of Arnold. He used to frequent there. Also had a chat with Jimmy Sirrel and few players from the Big Sam squad after I bagged a ticket for the celebration ceremony in the council house overlooking all the Notts fans in market square. I still pinch myself and wonder how that happened.

Brilliant captain

SinceSept1959
19-02-2024, 11:41 PM
Agreed , PT was an excellent captain. Shame he didn't get a testimonial match like Millsy. Probably a clause in his contract when Gary returned.
When I started as a ref I had a night game at Hempshill Vale v Lowdham Grange in the Notts Amateur League.
Gerry Carver & Bob McKinlay were team managers and GC requested we turned straight round at HT because of lock up times at Lowdham Borstal.
I played Sunday morning football and Tony Hateley's BIL played for the same team . TH was with Liverpool at the time and came to watch most of our home games , practicing keepy- upper on the touchline.
I was also a joint founder of a youth FC and was pleased to have many Notts players as guest presenters . Geoff Pike, Iain McC , Drapes , Mick Leonard , Phil Turner , Dean Yates and Paul Riley spring to mind.
Dean Yates often at Ilson on Saturdays to watch Matt playing in goal.

ancientpie
20-02-2024, 07:05 AM
Back in the 70s many of the squad would head for Jacky Bells in Netherfield for a late drink after away games, I was lucky enough to be in with John & Pat who ran the pub so often shared a pint & a game of darts with Stubsy & co, happy days. COUP

jonnyt1
20-02-2024, 08:03 AM
The only one is Dennis Benskin but I doubt you'd know who he is. Unfortunately lots from across. the River. Birtles, Robertson (very entertaining evening to say the least), Gunn and Hodge.

To rub salt into the wound, back in the day two Girlfriends said they had previously had flings with Steve Hodge before me. Didn't help with the libido.

AllNottsAreWe
20-02-2024, 08:07 AM
Not a pint but,

My late Aunt was an employee at Meadow Lane for many years (and why I have supported Notts for 50 years).

When she passed away, we had the get together in the Don Masson Suite. Ian Richardson who knew her attended.

I stood talking to Ian for about half an hour. He told me some great stories about his time as a professional footballer, Notts, and life in general.

Absolute class act. Not sure if he is still involved at Notts.

ncfcog
20-02-2024, 11:17 AM
For me I'd like to go back and share a pint with those iconic players I never knew, Iremonger for one might be interesting.

upthemaggies
20-02-2024, 12:24 PM
Going by the series of Magpie Circle chats, Jon Nixon came across as the most amiable and forthcoming with his Notts tales. Before my time but I found him very engaging to listen to.
Football generally, Howard Wilkinson. His interview with Mace was absolutely top drawer.
Away from Notts chat, Brian Kilcline would probably me my type of person, a bit out there. Harkouk I'd be interested to know about his life before and since his time with Notts - A lot going on there I think as well as being one of my favourite players (along with Fash, Yates, Tommy Johnson and Aidy Thorpe).

All over a nice cup of tea in my case, I don't drink now.

ThaiPie
20-02-2024, 01:53 PM
Johny T !! I hope everything is on the up.

Wedgie_pie
20-02-2024, 02:24 PM
I'd enjoy a shandy with Dick Edwards and go back to the 60's... Think and hope he's still with us, he must be in his 80's...Chat about his time with Villa, Torquay, Notts and that mob up the road...Maybe sing a couple of country and western songs together, and talk about that long throw he had...

upthemaggies
20-02-2024, 02:36 PM
I'd enjoy a shandy with Dick Edwards and go back to the 60's... Think and hope he's still with us, he must be in his 80's....

81, I was looking through birth and death dates fairly recently for his era and he was still going apparently.
Of all 1st team squad members of the 1959/60 promotion season, Gerry Carver, (88) George Smith (87), John Sheridan (85), John Newton (84), Oliver Beeby (the eldest at 89) and Dick Edwards (the youngest at 81) were the only players with no date of death.

Ken Rawson was the first one to pass away back in 1986, aged 54, Harry Noon died at 58, all of the others were at least in their 60s.

ReadWarbler
20-02-2024, 03:53 PM
Didn’t share a pint but Larry Lloyd once threw me out his pub

Woodsetts_Pie
20-02-2024, 04:07 PM
It’d be great to find myself sat next to Ian Scanlon in a quiet corner of a pub somewhere for an hour or two. I’d love to hear his take on all things Notts

LLCoolA
20-02-2024, 05:26 PM
I once bumped into Pedro Richards, and had a lovely football chat, over a couple of bevies. I think many Notts fans might have had the same good fortune. Modern day, I'd love to have a pint with Mark Stallard, but I would would worry he might think I'm a bit dull, compared to his incisive commentary.
Just wondered if any other posters have similar good memories, without giving away any trade secrets.

See around / had beers with
Matt Tootle - an absolute diamond bloke
Kev Nolan - as above
Connell R - possible one of the nicest guys ever met

lunaspie
20-02-2024, 06:24 PM

Exit stage left pursued by a bouncer ?

SwalePie
20-02-2024, 07:27 PM
Had a fair few shandies with the likes of Mick Leonard, Rachid Harkouk, Pedro et al back in the day but I think a pint with Sir Jimmy and/or Neil Warnock might have been interesting.

The Dug Out
20-02-2024, 08:05 PM
Back in the 70s many of the squad would head for Jacky Bells in Netherfield for a late drink after away games, I was lucky enough to be in with John & Pat who ran the pub so often shared a pint & a game of darts with Stubsy & co, happy days. COUP
I probably met you in there then, I had a few late nights after matches in there, great boozer.

forwardmagpie
20-02-2024, 08:12 PM
Jimmy did tell me who his best ever signing was although I told him I disagreed, which as long as I bought him another pint he said he would think about before telling me I was still wrong!

The Dug Out
20-02-2024, 08:13 PM
Had a fair few shandies with the likes of Mick Leonard, Rachid Harkouk, Pedro et al back in the day but I think a pint with Sir Jimmy and/or Neil Warnock might have been interesting.
Got to know Rachid quite a bit, best mate of mine was Morrocan, Rachid was a right mess at one stage, an Alchaholic just bumming around the sherwood area.Not seen him for years and years now though.

Elite_Pie
20-02-2024, 08:34 PM

I remember regularly seeing Jimmy in Lawton's bar at half time during his last few years. He usually ordered a coffee, and more often than not someone in the bar queue would say "Do you want a whisky in that Jim?" Jimmy would give his unique grin and say "Aye, go on then"!

SmiffyPie
20-02-2024, 08:45 PM
Got to know Rachid quite a bit, best mate of mine was Morrocan, Rachid was a right mess at one stage, an Alchaholic just bumming around the sherwood area.Not seen him for years and years now though.I met his Uncle on the North Yorks Railway several years ago and he said Rachid had been through a bad patch (mentioned the white powder). Wiki says he was jailed in 2011 for selling illegal stuff. Such a pity.

upthemaggies
20-02-2024, 09:06 PM
I met his Uncle on the North Yorks Railway several years ago and he said Rachid had been through a bad patch (mentioned the white powder). Wiki says he was jailed in 2011 for selling illegal stuff. Such a pity.

I wasn't going to mention that, but yes, that did happen. He's been to at least one Notts game since his release, a newspaper did an article sat with him at a match v Stags IIRC, but he wasn't impressed with the modern game.

SinceSept1959
20-02-2024, 09:16 PM
Rach was a very talented and gifted footballer.
I recall that he appeared before Magistrates after a late night altercation in a burger restaurant , on Clumber Street.
Rach was alleged to have asked a guy
" who had ( apparently ) kicked his girlfriend ? "
The guy replied " it certainly wasn't you you'd have missed !" causing much amusement to the queuing patrons.
RH had missed a penalty for Notts that afternoon , didn't see the funny side and thumped the guy.

MAD_MAGPIE
20-02-2024, 10:05 PM
https://youtu.be/acdX9XH20cw

Thanks for sharing this as I've not seen it before. A great performance by Steve Cherry in goal some class saves. I thought some of our shots could have been on target if I'm being critical. It looks like it was a memorable game much like the FA cup game against Man City some 20 years later.

ancientpie
21-02-2024, 07:02 AM
I probably met you in there then, I had a few late nights after matches in there, great boozer.

Quite possibly it was my 1st regular pub although I was usually found playing darts in the smoke room, a bit rough at times but a great pub & always the home to many Notts fans, like so many it's now been made into flats.

The Dug Out
21-02-2024, 07:35 AM
I worked just across the road at Beardalls Transport on Dennis street, was my go to place for years, always plenty of totty in Jacky Bells.
Rough as a badgers but great pub.

The Dug Out
21-02-2024, 07:49 AM
We was out regular with him especially after home games, there was a little boozer called George & Dragon near skills toy shop, my mate (morroccan) had a restaurant down hurts yard, some of the team used to come in. Rachid was a draw to the ladies which led to loads of scraps. He then got onto the white stuff, we never knew, but that was it, Sherwood was the area he used to operate in we tried to help but he was to far gone.

jonnyt1
21-02-2024, 08:33 AM

We share that it common. In my case it was mistaken identity and Frank Wignals daughter persuaded him I was a decent guy and let me back in. SOmeone had pulled down the Christmas tinsel at the bar whilst I was standing there and the barmaid accused me!

CheltenhamPie
21-02-2024, 11:51 AM
I was fortunate enough to know John (Bill) Brindley very well. I first met Bill at People’s College school in the early 60’s. He was two years older than me, so sadly we never played in the same school team. At fif**** he was already head and shoulders above his peers at football, and he left school in Either 1963 or 64 to join Forest.
Apart from following his career, and watching him from time to time, I had no contact with Bill. After Forest he joined Notts at a good time and played in very good Notts teams. Eventually he left Notts and joined Gillingham but returned to Nottingham at the end of his career. I believe he then worked for the Notts County promotions department, which is when our paths crossed again.
We worked together at Mann Egerton on Derby Road; where Bill worked in Fleet Sales. During that time we had many a beer together, but football was such a big part of his life, he truly missed playing. It was an honour to be his friend.

Masson4
21-02-2024, 12:53 PM
I'd describe it as 'amazing'. I spent an afternoon with him in the garden outside the Cross Keys at Burton Joyce. I jotted down as many as I could remember of the stories that he shared afterwards. As we sat there, Dave Mackay was inside the pub too.

An Afternoon With Jimmy Sirrel
https://stuartfrew.wordpress.com/2007/09/04/an-afternoon-with-jimmy-sirrel/

irishpete
21-02-2024, 01:00 PM
We share that it common. In my case it was mistaken identity and Frank Wignals daughter persuaded him I was a decent guy and let me back in. SOmeone had pulled down the Christmas tinsel at the bar whilst I was standing there and the barmaid accused me!

Frank Wignall the dodgy car dealer

Elite_Pie
21-02-2024, 01:37 PM
I'd describe it as 'amazing'. I spent an afternoon with him in the garden outside the Cross Keys at Burton Joyce. I jotted down as many as I could remember of the stories that he shared afterwards. As we sat there, Dave Mackay was inside the pub too.

An Afternoon With Jimmy Sirrel
https://stuartfrew.wordpress.com/2007/09/04/an-afternoon-with-jimmy-sirrel/

Really enjoyable read, brought back some great memories

Although fortunately, this bit from an article in May 2022 after the playoff defeat to Grimsby wasn't too accurate!

"Where does all this leave Notts? In a dire place actually. It is difficult to see any kind of future for them that is for sure. They enjoy little media coverage these days and another generation of potential supporters is surely lost to them. The club is dying a slow and painful death".

Masson4
21-02-2024, 01:45 PM
Amen to that! It certainly felt very uncertain at the time at best. :)

Elite_Pie
21-02-2024, 02:07 PM
Amen to that! It certainly felt very uncertain at the time at best. :)

Yep, in the aftermath of the Grimsby defeat I don't think anyone saw the 2022/23 season coming!

Masson4
21-02-2024, 02:32 PM
Indeed. For me it felt like a trap that Notts had fallen into and one that was incredibly difficult to get out of. Fantastic that Notts had that magnificent season - and it sure took that to get back into the EFL.

jonnyt1
22-02-2024, 08:49 AM
I was fortunate enough to know John (Bill) Brindley very well. I first met Bill at People’s College school in the early 60’s. He was two years older than me, so sadly we never played in the same school team. At fif**** he was already head and shoulders above his peers at football, and he left school in Either 1963 or 64 to join Forest.
Apart from following his career, and watching him from time to time, I had no contact with Bill. After Forest he joined Notts at a good time and played in very good Notts teams. Eventually he left Notts and joined Gillingham but returned to Nottingham at the end of his career. I believe he then worked for the Notts County promotions department, which is when our paths crossed again.
We worked together at Mann Egerton on Derby Road; where Bill worked in Fleet Sales. During that time we had many a beer together, but football was such a big part of his life, he truly missed playing. It was an honour to be his friend.

I cannot believe I forgot about drinking with Bill! Played Cricket against him a few times, knew him from the Village and also did the Trent Bridge scoreboard with his Son.

Also forgot about chatting to Fash one night when he parked his pink car outside on double yellows. Think he'd scored the winner that day away from home.

My memories not what it used to be, need a few queues these days, probably headed to many footballs.