PDA

View Full Version : RIP Sidders

Skatorna
24-02-2024, 12:38 PM
Haven’t posted here for a long time, but just wanted to share some news that a local fellow Notts fan to me, Alan Combes, passed away suddenly last week

I believe he was an active poster on this forum under the name “Sidders” (or variations of that name over the years). He leaves behind a wife and daughter, who I’m sure will be in the thoughts of all on the forum.

since41
24-02-2024, 12:40 PM
Very sad news again RiP Sidders

upthemaggies
24-02-2024, 12:42 PM
Oh lordy, that is a shock.

Big character here and will be missed.

RIP

ancientpie
24-02-2024, 12:46 PM
Although I didn't always appreciate his political threads as a poster he will be sadly missed.

RIP mate.

jackal2
24-02-2024, 12:49 PM
Jesus! That's shocking and very sad news.

It's fair to say Sidders (previously Sidn15) and I didn't often see eye to eye on political matters and I think he enjoyed his self-appointed role as the message board's agent provacateur on political matters, but he was one of the most long-standing and recognisable posters on here and I always detected a wry smile and a knowing wink behind his mild barbs.

Sidders is a sad loss to this board and the Notts community in general. Through you Skatorna I extend my/our sincere condolences and sympathy to his family. Another sad day for Notts MAD. We're having too many just recently.

RIP

Dunce
24-02-2024, 12:57 PM
Oh dear that is sad news. He had his views and opinions which were not always agreed with. But he will always be remembered as a MAD icon. Wasn't he always picking us up on our spelling and punctuation?

West, in piece Sid. x

TSANHO
24-02-2024, 12:58 PM
Really sorry to hear this, condolences to his friends and family.

Rest easy Sid X

irishpete
24-02-2024, 01:05 PM
If I remember correctly Sidders had a lucky escape a few years back.
RIP

SmiffyPie
24-02-2024, 01:05 PM
What a shock!
Commiserations to his family. I had a couple of pints with him when I was over in North Yorks a few years ago, a nice bloke and as controversial, forthright and provactive as he came across on here.
Yes he did Pete, he was very seriously ill at the time, think it knocked him back because that's around the time he reduced posting.

Jampie
24-02-2024, 01:07 PM
I'm really going to miss his views. RIP man.

ncfcog
24-02-2024, 01:23 PM
Sidders often had that knack of rubbing people up the wrong way, including myself, but regardless of any differences we may have had I’ll be forever grateful for some of the best book recommendations I’ve ever had and it’s never nice to lose a long standing member of the Magpie community. RIP Sidders you definitely left your mark. I wish his family and friends my deepest sympathies.

Old_pie
24-02-2024, 01:36 PM
If I remember correctly Sidders had a lucky escape a few years back.
RIP

RIP Sidders.

When I first joined this board just about 14 years ago to the day a lot of messages were about Sidn's fight for life in hospital. Of course at that time I had no idea who this guy was.

He posted on here just a couple of weeks ago: https://boards.footymad.net/showthread.php?t=38315520&page=2&p=40447257#post40447257

And typically in schoolteacher fashion and just before the upturn for Chelsea he posted "Pocchetino is a dead man walking."

As far as I recall he was a long time Notts supporter, and sports writer, but had moved to Hull and his long standing health issues precluded travelling to see Notts.

A big shock and condolences to his family.

CamPie
24-02-2024, 01:39 PM
Very sad news, RIP Sid a definite Mad legend. Very intelligent guy with strong opinions he wasn’t afraid to voice. Thoughts with his family and friends, he’ll be sadly missed by those who knew him.

DomdomPie
24-02-2024, 01:49 PM
Sorry to hear this. RIP Sid.

andy6025
24-02-2024, 02:06 PM
Met up with Alan for my first ever Notts game. Since then we have kept in touch on and off the board. While most here didn’t agree much with his politics, I for the most part did.

RIP my friend. You shall be missed!

OP67
24-02-2024, 02:13 PM
RIP Sidders, sometimes controversial and will be sadly missed. Another Magpie flies high...

M0ufMk3
24-02-2024, 02:49 PM
So sorry to hear about Sid/Alan and best wishes and commiserations to his friends and family.

He always came across as one who was as principled as he was caring. I disagreed with him rarely (when I used to post) but always found his arguments intelligent and keen to support those areas of society with less access to a noisy voice in their favour.

Rest in peace, but only if you want to.

meoldlaner
24-02-2024, 02:54 PM
At the game and just read this about Sid. Such sad news. Rest in peace Sidders. I will miss his posts.

OchPie
24-02-2024, 03:12 PM
Very sorry to hear this. RIP.

Woodypie
24-02-2024, 03:29 PM
Oh dear me, what a shock. I for one enjoyed his politics and mischief making. A fantastic MAD personality that will be missed by many.

SwalePie
24-02-2024, 04:07 PM
Sad news indeed. One of the real long term posters. A friend of the late, great Lord Magwales too IIRC. Rest in peace Alan.

CookieGuy
24-02-2024, 05:08 PM
Oh dear, very sad news.

Mark_Ross
24-02-2024, 05:20 PM
Really sad to hear this. RIP.

kill_the_drum
24-02-2024, 05:34 PM
RIP Sidders.
Very sad news.

crazyfists
24-02-2024, 05:39 PM
This is absolutely heartbreaking news, I can't believe it and am so sorry to hear that for him and his family. I know he lived up near Scarborough last I heard and often thought of him driving through where he lived on the way to the coast. He was a fantastic poster and had a very interesting life. God that's just terrible. So sorry and you will be remembered Sid for as long as I'm here.

Safe travels mate.

nw6pie
24-02-2024, 06:16 PM
Horrible news, RIP Alan.

Skatorna
24-02-2024, 06:24 PM
This is absolutely heartbreaking news, I can't believe it and am so sorry to hear that for him and his family. I know he lived up near Scarborough last I heard and often thought of him driving through where he lived on the way to the coast. He was a fantastic poster and had a very interesting life. God that's just terrible. So sorry and you will be remembered Sid for as long as I'm here.

Safe travels mate.

His family are just round the corner from me, and his grandson and my son are good friends (a junior notts fan). Very active in the local community on the parish council and as a teacher of renown in the area. Would often chat with him at school pick up. His IRL persona was the same as people have pointed to on here as well.

upthemaggies
24-02-2024, 06:25 PM
I remember him writing and posting a full match report for one of the few games he was able to attend in more recent years, it was absolutely superb, far better standard than what you get in the NEP (and I told him so).

BigFatPie
24-02-2024, 06:28 PM
Really sorry to hear this news. Exchanged DMs with Alan and he seemed like a really nice chap. Always found his posts interesting and provocative. RIP.

hissingdwarf
24-02-2024, 06:29 PM
Really sorry to hear this. Sliders will be sadly missed. Always had a sensible argument and dealt easily with the political attacks from the right.
RIP.

matt_magpie
24-02-2024, 06:35 PM
RIP Sidders, obviously a bit of character and we need them, thoughts are with his family.

irish_pie
24-02-2024, 06:41 PM
Had a few brilliant interactions with Sid, very controversial poster but what was needed at times, God bless his poor family....Sidders sir it was a pleasure interacting with you 😞

Iremongersrighthand
24-02-2024, 06:41 PM
Haven’t posted here for a long time, but just wanted to share some news that a local fellow Notts fan to me, Alan Combes, passed away suddenly last week

I believe he was an active poster on this forum under the name “Sidders” (or variations of that name over the years). He leaves behind a wife and daughter, who I’m sure will be in the thoughts of all on the forum.
R.I.P Alan, God bless you and your family 🙏

maddogslater
24-02-2024, 06:46 PM
👋 Sid

piegonk74
24-02-2024, 06:48 PM
Rest in peace Sid .

ajojones
24-02-2024, 07:17 PM
Very sad, a permanent fixture on this board and great contributions even in the early days. A former sports writer, often had an informed view. RIP Sidn, will be much missed.

queenslandpie
24-02-2024, 07:28 PM
Dreadful news. RIP. A cantankerous but highly intelligent poster. He was the first supporter on this board to call out Munto as the sham it was as well.

nottsun
24-02-2024, 07:53 PM
A star of NottsCountyMad's golden era

I'm saddened by his passing

Woodsetts_Pie
24-02-2024, 08:40 PM
Very sad news indeed. About 18 months ago Sid did an anagram competition thread on here, which I was privileged to win (jointly if I remember correctly). The prize was a copy of his novel, which was a nostalgic football novel. He signed it and wrote a lovely message in the front.
RIP Sid..

Elite_Pie
24-02-2024, 08:47 PM
Really sorry to read this. When I joined this board nearly 20 years ago, Sidn15 was a regular poster. In those days he was always the first to stand up to the many racist posts that were fairly common on here back then, and got a fair bit of abuse for doing it. He always stood his ground and said what he thought, and I invariably agreed with him. I know he had a varied career and became a journalist and author, but I think his real passion was teaching, and I'm sure he got the most satisfaction from inspiring a kid who might have gone off the rails. Even though he was a fairly infrequent poster these days, he is a big loss to NCM.

Wherever you've gone sid, keep doing what you did.

crazyfists
24-02-2024, 08:49 PM
His family are just round the corner from me, and his grandson and my son are good friends (a junior notts fan). Very active in the local community on the parish council and as a teacher of renown in the area. Would often chat with him at school pick up. His IRL persona was the same as people have pointed to on here as well.

Great to hear more about him Skatorna, I know from speaking to him on here years ago he had some books published and has said on here before about his years as a journalist. I can imagine him on the parish council as well. What sad news this is mate, really took me by surprise today. Please pass my condolences onto his family and he will be missed. Good to see another junior magpie as well, good luck to him as we all know what supporting Notts is like! All the best and he won't be forgotten RIP.

crazyfists
24-02-2024, 08:51 PM
I would like to think Sid and 59 have found each other and having a drink together, definitely not agreeing about some things but loving Notts all the same.

durhampie
24-02-2024, 09:16 PM
Rest in Peace Sid.

chedozie
24-02-2024, 09:34 PM
I very really post on here these days but after over 20 years losing another one is always sad, never met him, never debated with but always aware of him.. RIP Sid.

legs77
24-02-2024, 10:12 PM
Very sad news RIP Sid.

cher1
24-02-2024, 10:49 PM
Sad news indeed, rest easy Sid/Alan.

It's nice to imagine that he and Dave (Lord Magwales) are somewhere reminiscing and sharing a host of funny tales.

Wedgie_pie
24-02-2024, 11:35 PM
Only just logged in to NCM and seen the news about Sidn...It was my first thoughts Cher Sidn and Lord Mags bless them both...I read one of Alan's books last year "Football's not the only Game" good read, got it off Amazon kindle...I remember back in the day when Sidn would correct posters spellings including mine...Rest in peace Sidn.

Lullapie
25-02-2024, 12:46 AM
Rest in peace Sidders. We had a few wrangles on her, but I always enjoyed it.

MAD_MAGPIE
25-02-2024, 02:07 AM
Very saddened to hear about the passing of Sid/Alan.

Some good tributes in this thread which I can only echo. The amount of posts show that he had made an impact on this board over a number of years. From his spell checking as a teacher, to his debate provoking posts there was always something that would make the board a more colourful place.

Once again we are reminded that ultimately despite differing views people may have everyone who contributes here all shares the fundamental of being part of the Notts family and makes this board what it is.

Condolences to Sid/Alans family and friends.RIP.

i961pie
25-02-2024, 11:10 AM
R.I.P Alan/Sid.

60YearsAPie
25-02-2024, 01:05 PM
Thanks, Skatorna, for letting the forum know. As most posters are anonymous, there's always a question mark when posters disappear from the board. Magpies59 and Sidders had one thing in common: they were both Notts fans. It's sad to lose two in a month. RIP Sid.

bule1
25-02-2024, 01:25 PM
Very sad indeed, condolences to their families

The_Pie_Man
25-02-2024, 07:47 PM
How terribly sad.

I don’t post much anymore, however this news has prompted me to log in.

Whilst I didn’t often agree with him, he was always an eloquent poster who stuck to his guns and was undoubtedly a devoted Pie.

Another ‘old school’ NCM poster who has gone to the Meadow Club in the sky.

RIP

tommopie8
25-02-2024, 07:49 PM
RIP Sid.

jonnyt1
26-02-2024, 08:14 AM
Sad news indeed. One of the Stalwarts of this board, kindly remembered by me though his politics were polar opposite to mine.

slack_pie
26-02-2024, 08:42 AM
Oh, how sad. A proper NCM legend and a great character. Rest in peace, Sid.

BanjoPie
27-02-2024, 04:01 PM
R.I.P Sidders - condolences to family and friends

KintoreMagpie
27-02-2024, 06:43 PM
Echo all the thoughts and best wishes to Sidders’ family and friends. About to watch Notts v Sutton so I am really hoping for a good display from the Pies which would be a fitting send off. RIP SIDDERS.

keldsyke
27-02-2024, 07:41 PM
Would be nice to have a sticky thread with one post (read only) remembering each supporter that has passed

irishpete
28-02-2024, 05:48 AM
Would be nice to have a sticky thread with one post (read only) remembering each supporter that has passed

Was only thinking the same the other day. As I had mentioned Tel1 (patsman) & Bridge4d had not posted for a long time to find they had both passed on. Another would be postypie who I remember saying he had an illness. Maybe Andy Easom who posted on here knows anything about him.