PDA

View Full Version : Match ratings v Sutton (home)

drillerpie
27-02-2024, 11:00 PM
Ashby Hammond - 5 - when he first came in I liked how comfortable he was with his feet and his good distribution. Now seems to go long a lot, especially after Jatta came on, which didn't work tonight. Doesn't make many saves. Most notable moments were parrying a ball out for a goal to them (good save) and a mix up with Baldwin for a high ball which led to a corner which led to a goal for them. Not as keen as I was.

Cameron - 5 - started the match with a determined surge forward, can't remember much after that. Often seems to me marking 10 yards of space when goals go in, although that could be a zonal marking thing.

Baldwin - 4 - did a brainfart at a really bad time. Wish he would have the odd shot now and then.

Warner - 5 - kind of OK until his injury. I think his physique is a red herring though, he's big but he's not a rugged centre half.

Rawlinson (sub) - 4 - kind of made sense to bring him on against their big lump but he ended up making their big lump look like David Silva for one of their goals. I would say car crash but it was more like watching the Exxon Valdez exhibiting a slightly tighter turning circle than the MSC Costa Concordia.

JoB - 6.5 - was a bit worried to see him in the XI but he played well. With him we lose a bit of control but gain urgency and the impulse to drive forward.
Robertson - 6 - didn't stand out as much as in recent games but played well IMO.

Jones - 5 - quite anonymous apart from the assist and got caught out for their first goal. A rare off night.

Nemane - 6 - seemed to be playing with a bit more grit than usual both attacking and defending wise.

Bostock (sub) - 5 - didn't do anything memorable and our general malaise descended about the time he came on. Not good news for him that he is being outperformed by JoB currently.

Crowley - 7 - back to his early season form. Played very well and two very different but equally well taken goals.

Austin - 4.5 - I thought a few good attacking moves broke down with him and he missed a very good headed chance. Hope I'm not being harsh on him as I like him (a solid citizen, as Big Ron used to say) but don't think he is cut out for L2.

Langstaff - 5.5 - good penalty and maximum effort of course, but he is missing one good chance a game lately and it is costing us. Blazed into the Kop when through with the keeper to beat.

Jatta (sub) - 5 - Ran around and tried but didn't accomplish much. We seem to be using him as a target man and I think he is more of a running onto the ball kind of forward. Presumably he signed for us as a winning team playing good football and for the entire time he has been on the pitch he's been battling for fight balls lonned from the back. Must be wondering what he has walked into.

Maynard - that result will have swayed a few people who were giving him the benefit of the doubt due to difficulty of opposition until now. Personally I don't see that much different under SM from when LW was in charge other than our chances that were going in aren't, and opposition ones that weren't, are. We did and still do struggle against man marking and massed ranks, however tonight there was space to play and create and we should have won. Testing times, and if he was in any doubt that he has a job on his hands, losing to Sutton at home will make everything clear. We will see if he is up to the job of resurrecting a play off bid and sorting out a defence that is in all kinds of trouble.

Bracegirdle - his cricket commentary style is probably great for cricket but awful for a football match. He winds me up even when I'm watching the video because what he says often bears no relation to what is happening on the pitch. If he is telling you about what his wife watched on TV last night you might think there's a lull in play bit there's actually tons of stuff happening. Must be awful trying to follow the action with audio only.

drillerpie
27-02-2024, 11:09 PM
Forgot Crowley's in-area leg dangle which came at a really bad time. Probably worth knocking a point or half off for that but he runs a lot and was probably tired and I can't edit it so will leave him at 7.

Robertomac
27-02-2024, 11:20 PM
Looks about right to me. I'd knock Macca down half a point as thought he was very average again and his misses are starting to pile more pressure on our already beleaguered defence. He's missed a hatful of very good chances in recent weeks (I know he can't score them all before anyone says it). His chance first half and Austin's miss second half proved to be very costly.

I heard on the radio that 9 of Sutton's total of 40 goals have come against us.

What's gone so badly wrong? The positivity and good will has drained from the crowd and I'm starting to have that 2019 feeling going down to the Lane.

freemuzzy
27-02-2024, 11:21 PM
Ashby Hammond - 5 - when he first came in I liked how comfortable he was with his feet and his good distribution. Now seems to go long a lot, especially after Jatta came on, which didn't work tonight. Doesn't make many saves. Most notable moments were parrying a ball out for a goal to them (good save) and a mix up with Baldwin for a high ball which led to a corner which led to a goal for them. Not as keen as I was.

Cameron - 5 - started the match with a determined surge forward, can't remember much after that. Often seems to me marking 10 yards of space when goals go in, although that could be a zonal marking thing.

Baldwin - 4 - did a brainfart at a really bad time. Wish he would have the odd shot now and then.

Warner - 5 - kind of OK until his injury. I think his physique is a red herring though, he's big but he's not a rugged centre half.

Rawlinson (sub) - 4 - kind of made sense to bring him on against their big lump but he ended up making their big lump look like David Silva for one of their goals. I would say car crash but it was more like watching the Exxon Valdez exhibiting a slightly tighter turning circle than the MSC Costa Concordia.

JoB - 6.5 - was a bit worried to see him in the XI but he played well. With him we lose a bit of control but gain urgency and the impulse to drive forward.
Robertson - 6 - didn't stand out as much as in recent games but played well IMO.

Jones - 5 - quite anonymous apart from the assist and got caught out for their first goal. A rare off night.

Nemane - 6 - seemed to be playing with a bit more grit than usual both attacking and defending wise.

Bostock (sub) - 5 - didn't do anything memorable and our general malaise descended about the time he came on. Not good news for him that he is being outperformed by JoB currently.

Crowley - 7 - back to his early season form. Played very well and two very different but equally well taken goals.

Austin - 4.5 - I thought a few good attacking moves broke down with him and he missed a very good headed chance. Hope I'm not being harsh on him as I like him (a solid citizen, as Big Ron used to say) but don't think he is cut out for L2.

Langstaff - 5.5 - good penalty and maximum effort of course, but he is missing one good chance a game lately and it is costing us. Blazed into the Kop when through with the keeper to beat.

Jatta (sub) - 5 - Ran around and tried but didn't accomplish much. We seem to be using him as a target man and I think he is more of a running onto the ball kind of forward. Presumably he signed for us as a winning team playing good football and for the entire time he has been on the pitch he's been battling for fight balls lonned from the back. Must be wondering what he has walked into.

Maynard - that result will have swayed a few people who were giving him the benefit of the doubt due to difficulty of opposition until now. Personally I don't see that much different under SM from when LW was in charge other than our chances that were going in aren't, and opposition ones that weren't, are. We did and still do struggle against man marking and massed ranks, however tonight there was space to play and create and we should have won. Testing times, and if he was in any doubt that he has a job on his hands, losing to Sutton at home will make everything clear. We will see if he is up to the job of resurrecting a play off bid and sorting out a defence that is in all kinds of trouble.

Bracegirdle - his cricket commentary style is probably great for cricket but awful for a football match. He winds me up even when I'm watching the video because what he says often bears no relation to what is happening on the pitch. If he is telling you about what his wife watched on TV last night you might think there's a lull in play bit there's actually tons of stuff happening. Must be awful trying to follow the action with audio only.

A good set of ratings/comments. Think these are all fair, maybe .5 more for Nemane who was much more positive and threatening than in recent months…before then being moved back to full back reasons unknown. Also thought Austin was ok overall but miss at 2-2 was a potential turning point (who knows, I’m sure we’d have found a way to concede somehow).

O’Brien being our best midfielder is a credit to him, but damning on the club. Bad call to take him off. Also seems illogical we’ve got Brooks excelling on-loan at Rochdale when all three of our other keeping options have failed to convince this season.

Observerpie
27-02-2024, 11:26 PM
Ashby-Hammond 2 Dreadful kicking, pushing shots back into the danger area and rooted to his line
Nemane 6
Warner 5
Baldwin 4
Cameron 4
Jones 5
Crowley 7
O'Brien 6
Robertson 6
Austin 6
Langstaff 4

Bostock 4
Jatta 5
Rawlinson 4

Maynard 3 I've tried to defend him but why does he put Jones on the right with Nemane, they just get in each other's way and there's no width on the left then.

irish_pie
27-02-2024, 11:30 PM
Hammond.. 5... Tried hard but no cover in front of him...doesn't command his box as well as he should
Cameron.. . 5.. Can't defend so tries to be a left winger at times... doesn't do his job so should be dropped
Baldwin...4.. Would be a 1 only for I like the fella, the usual brain fart leading to a goal but the way he kicked the ball at the kop and gestured to them was uncalled for...needs a good slap
Warner... 3.. Offers very little in his brief appearances on the pitch, doesn't look up for it at all
Robertson... 6..Tidy on the ball, did his best but not up to his usual high standards
JOB... 6.. Only player to put in a serious shift in his time on the pitch...which is alarming to have to play somebody of his age in an almost must win game
Jones...5.. Rare off day, rubbish for their first goal but another assist and should of had another except for a shocking miss from Austin
Nemane...6 for the first half and 4 for the second should tell you what impact he had in the second...
Crowley..5 .. scored twice but gave away a completely needless pen...his petulance after scoring the first was totally uncalled for, needs to wake up a bit and realise he is not immune to criticism
Austin...3.. Just don't see a footballer in him, falls to pieces like a jigsaw anywhere near the opposition goal, miss was scandalous but he hasn't had a good Notts game in a very long time...shouldn't be anywhere near the first 11 on that showing
Landstaff... 5. For effort alone, good pen and fluffed his only other real chance which would probably
of swung the game our way...moving him to the wing is a stackable offense

Subs..
Rawlinson..3.. Evostick premier league player that plays in league 2 on this showing, just a complete disaster
Bostock..3.. Didn't even know he was on the field, did absolutely nothing
Jatta.. 4.. Same as above, only reason I remembered he was playing was when he got booked

Maynard..1.. Out of his debt, changes shape when we are on top and never in the game after that...can't see him lasting much longer

BCnotts18
27-02-2024, 11:41 PM
LAH 4 - Poor once again, basically Aiden Stone 2.0. Doesn't communicate, his distribution is getting worse game after game and he also seems glued to his line.

Cameron 3 - Not even gonna bother talking about the guy; being club "captain", putting in that sort of performance week after week and then having the audacity to have a go at fans afterwards says all that needs to be said.

Baldwin 2 - Massively at fault for their second, gave the corner away that led to their penalty cheaply and if that wasn't enough he decides to give Harry Smith a run for his money as the biggest prick of the evening by not only rifling the ball at the fans who contribute towards his livelihood, but also insulting them when they dare to complain about it. Disgraceful.

Warner 5 - Did alright until his injury and looked pretty devastated when he came off, but as others have said, his height disguises the fact that he is not that physically inclined at all.

Jones 4 - During another pretty anonymous display, he put in one good ball all night and was far too weak for their first goal.

Nemane 5 - Actually beat his man a few times but his end product was atrocious, and allowed their player to cross the ball in with impunity for their first.

JOB 6.5 - Notts' best player tonight in my eyes, we were completely inept after he was replaced. He played some decent balls forward and got stuck in, its just a shame he is not 10 years younger.

Robertson 6 - Not as good as he has been recently but still a reasonable performance.

Austin 5 - More energy than McGoldrick but does not seem to to have the technical ability to make things happen at this level, plus he missed a massive chance which may well have changed the game.

Crowley 5.5 - Scored two but gave away a stupid penalty and didn't look arsed afterwards. Plus his celebrations after his first goal were just another instance of disrespect from Notts players towards their own fans tonight.

Langstaff 5 - Scored a penalty, but did very little else other than miss some more chances.

Rawlinson 4 - Nowhere near good enough for League two anymore.

Jatta 5 - Didn't show anything.

Bostock 4 - We seemed to just give up entirely when he came on, get rid in the summer if he continues to put in minimum effort.

BigFatPie
28-02-2024, 12:08 AM

Enjoyed the ratings, thankfully I don’t get to hear much from Bracegirdle, but I did hear his post match with Maynard. The questioning was unreal, stuff about Slocombe being back on the bench and Warner’s injury but diddly squat about WHY ARE YOU PLAYING A BLOKE WITH 2 THOUSAND ASSISTS FROM THE LEFT ON THE RIGHT??

That’s quite apart from the fact that in the last few seasons I’ve quite enjoyed having someone covering Notts who doesn’t sound 110.

jackal2
28-02-2024, 12:13 AM
WHY ARE YOU PLAYING A BLOKE WITH 2 THOUSAND ASSISTS FROM THE LEFT ON THE RIGHT??

Yes. Whatever people think about Maynard's prospects more generally, that's a tactical change that needs to be scrapped immediately. Jones looks half the player on the right. He had an opportunity to attack in the very last minute tonight when we desperately needed an end product, but running with the ball down the right you could tell he felt and looked completely awkward, like a shopping trolley trying to move forward with a wonky wheel. He's got to play from left.

durhampie
28-02-2024, 12:26 AM
Bostock should not be anywhere near the starting eleven, or bench for that matter.. If we lose on Saturday then Maynard has to go..

uysapie
28-02-2024, 12:34 AM
Bostock should not be anywhere near the starting eleven, or bench for that matter.. If we lose on Saturday then Maynard has to go..

Bostock has been a liabilty for a while.

WarsopPie
28-02-2024, 07:03 AM

The back pass from Baldwin that led to the goal was that hideous I’m surprised the FA haven’t called an immediate investigation into match rigging.
It was that bad anyone would of thought he had of placed a bet on Smith to score.

crazyfists
28-02-2024, 07:16 AM

Good ratings but I'd mark Bracegirdle 1. I too watch it on I player and can see the action but for those who can't it just be terrible. He never describes play and when he does he doesn't really say where it is on the pitch. He waffles on about crap and stats, talks over Stallard who is actually saying things we want to hear. He's, like Notts last night, were ****ing crap (Robertson, JOB and Crowley excluded)

LaxtonLad
28-02-2024, 07:27 AM
I thought Bostock showed his negativity last season, but when I pointed out that almost every one of his passes went sideways or backwards and so rarely forwards, I was pooh-poohed. This season against better opposition he doesn't even seem to try give a showing, trotting around left and right and still sideways passing fools no-one.

Bohinen
28-02-2024, 07:47 AM
Personally I don't see that much different under SM from when LW was in charge other than our chances that were going in aren't, and opposition ones that weren't, are.

Stevie Wonder would see the difference. Could we beat Morecambe 5-0 now under SM? The players no longer believe in what they are doing. So there is no difference except we aren't scoring as many and we are letting more in? There has to be a reason, luck evens itself out.

Togtastic
28-02-2024, 08:03 AM
LAH - 3 plenty of time to come and collect the ball for their first, he is becoming as static as Stone each passing game
Rawlo - 3 Good servant, too higher a level at his age.
Cameron - 4 Some good unopposed clearances but in contact he is frail in mind and body
Baldwin - 0 In a game that needed utter professionalism he couldn't cut it.
JOB - 5 Did what he always does, makes runs no one sees but keeps running
Robbo - 5 Steady but no more
Nemane - 0 for defending and 0 for attacking, Total 0. It's now 2 assists in 34 games, he is as bad at his job as the defenders are at theirs
Jones - 3 One good cross but Nemane like in defence
Crowley - 6 Would be a 7 but for a tired challenge for the penalty. I will defend him, he tried harder than anyone to create things
Austin -4 Hustle and bustle but no end product
Macca - 4 Hard to be critical, he is moved around like chess piece
Maynard - 2 I think he deserves time but as yet he isn't demonstrating he has the ability

slack_pie
28-02-2024, 08:10 AM
I though JOB was the only player providing some kind of intensity, and the only player attempting to rally the troops and be vocal. Why isn't our captain able to do that?

Crowley did well apart from the penalty trip. He's some player.

Macca looks short of confidence. He would have buried that one-on-one earlier in the season.

Defence was shocking all round, summed up by the free header their player had (and missed) from about three yards out. Not a single Notts player within two yards of him. How does that even happen at this level?

Maynard - I sort of feel sorry for him as nothing is going his way. I'm starting to think he probably is out of his depth, but it's not his fault that Baldwin made an awful back pass, or that Macca missed another great chance, or that their keeper made a ridiculous point-blank save from Austin. And if the players are somehow sulking and not raising their game for him, that's the players' fault for being so ridiculously unprofessional. Still, for whatever reason, I can't see him turning this around, but I'd love to be proven wrong.

MapperleyMagpie
28-02-2024, 08:18 AM
I though JOB was the only player providing some kind of intensity, and the only player attempting to rally the troops and be vocal. Why isn't our captain able to do that?

Crowley did well apart from the penalty trip. He's some player.

Macca looks short of confidence. He would have buried that one-on-one earlier in the season.

Defence was shocking all round, summed up by the free header their player had (and missed) from about three yards out. Not a single Notts player within two yards of him. How does that even happen at this level?

Maynard - I sort of feel sorry for him as nothing is going his way. I'm starting to think he probably is out of his depth, but it's not his fault that Baldwin made an awful back pass, or that Macca missed another great chance, or that their keeper made a ridiculous point-blank save from Austin. And if the players are somehow sulking and not raising their game for him, that's the players' fault for being so ridiculously unprofessional. Still, for whatever reason, I can't see him turning this around, but I'd love to be proven wrong.

Absolutely spot on! The players are letting Maynard, themselves and crucially the club down.

Observerpie
28-02-2024, 08:33 AM
Absolutely spot on! The players are letting Maynard, themselves and crucially the club down.

Couldn't agree more.

BigFatPie
28-02-2024, 08:47 AM

It’s certainly understandable that people are having a go at the players but 34 games into the season and we still have Jodi Jones on his own marking people for far post crosses.

I think what Einstein said about the definition of insanity is probably right.

drillerpie
28-02-2024, 08:55 AM
Stevie Wonder would see the difference. Could we beat Morecambe 5-0 now under SM? The players no longer believe in what they are doing. So there is no difference except we aren't scoring as many and we are letting more in? There has to be a reason, luck evens itself out.

Yes, very droll. The 5 - 0 obviously made a big impression on you.

The fact that in the last 14 games in all competitions of LW's tenure, going back to October, we lost 9, with plenty of defensive ****shows on display, and saw plenty of the infinite defensive passing triangle of doom leading to aimless hoof, while taking 12 points from 11 games in the league (relegation form) seems to have escaped your attention though.

What I'm saying is there's not much difference between last night and when I watched Sutton 5 Notts 1, or Notts 4 Forest Green 3, or Colchester 5 Notts 4. That's 3 games where we looked dangerous going forward but showed a complete inability to keep goals out against poor opposition. Same as last night.

I also sat through Notts 3 Grimsby 2 where we rode our luck massively and Grimsby 5 Notts 5 where we couldn't keep the ball out of our net for the last 2 mins of added time when the whole team was trying to so nothing more than keep the ball out of our net for 2 mins.

Before last night against the bottom four teams we had conceded 20 goals in 5 games. So do I think that the fact we conceded four last night in shambolic fashion is down to Stuart Maynard's tone of voice or his previous occupation? No I don't.

ladyretfordpie
28-02-2024, 09:58 AM

I've said exactly the same. I'm sick of him waffling when you presume there's no action but I know from watching the stream that there is play when he's doing this. It's just not good enough and Adam needs to get it full time. He might have rather a boring tone but he actually gives a proper commentary and at least is a Notts fan. Bracegirdle even got one of the basic rules wrong last night and Stall had to correct him. Come on Radio Nottingham, get rid of him. Noticed Charlie Slater hasn't been commentating on Radio 5 lately, please, please come back!

ladyretfordpie
28-02-2024, 10:00 AM
Good ratings but I'd mark Bracegirdle 1. I too watch it on I player and can see the action but for those who can't it just be terrible. He never describes play and when he does he doesn't really say where it is on the pitch. He waffles on about crap and stats, talks over Stallard who is actually saying things we want to hear. He's, like Notts last night, were ****ing crap (Robertson, JOB and Crowley excluded)

here, here. I think you've been generous giving him 1!

drillerpie
28-02-2024, 10:12 AM

Yeah he is basically doing a cricket commentary where the commentator is expected to churn out whimsical musing for hours and when something happens on the pitch describe it in detail afterwards.

This is completely the wrong way to do a football commentary though.

Lost count last night of how many times he started a boring anecdote and stubbornly refused to finish it despite the fact players were tackling each other, evading challenges, beating men and getting into good positions, making good passes etc.

drillerpie
28-02-2024, 10:12 AM
I've said exactly the same. I'm sick of him waffling when you presume there's no action but I know from watching the stream that there is play when he's doing this. It's just not good enough and Adam needs to get it full time. He might have rather a boring tone but he actually gives a proper commentary and at least is a Notts fan. Bracegirdle even got one of the basic rules wrong last night and Stall had to correct him. Come on Radio Nottingham, get rid of him. Noticed Charlie Slater hasn't been commentating on Radio 5 lately, please, please come back!

Yes I would like to see a change too.

Smigpie
28-02-2024, 03:33 PM
Jim MOM which was obvious when our manager took him off and didn’t explain why, would love to here that conversation. Crowley was close but owed that performance from the previous games when he didn’t show up.

OP67
28-02-2024, 03:45 PM
Must be awful trying to follow the action with audio only.

I've often either found myself shouting "what the ***k is going on on the pitch" or just turning it off completely. You can tell he has very little interest in football in general. He needs to stick to the cricket that he obviously loves.

SmiffyPie
28-02-2024, 03:49 PM
Jim MOM which was obvious when our manager took him off and didn’t explain why, would love to here that conversation. Crowley was close but owed that performance from the previous games when he didn’t show up.Probably told JOB to give it all for 45 mins (and he did, best I've seen him play) and JB would come on for him. He also probably thought JB might give his all for the time he had on the pitch (and he didn't, another average side to side performance).

upthemaggies
28-02-2024, 03:54 PM
Colin Slater tended to get piled on when things were going badly. Probably more than just a co-incidence that after all this time (a season and a half since he's been doing this regularly) people are suddenly giving Bracegirdle both barrels the day after one of the most embarrassing defeats we've ever seen at this level. I realise some have been unhappy with him since day 1, but commentators always seem to get the most stick when we're cr@p.

marky
28-02-2024, 03:58 PM
Colin Slater tended to get piled on when things were going badly. Probably more than just a co-incidence that after all this time (a season and a half since he's been doing this regularly) people are suddenly giving Bracegirdle both barrels the day after one of the most embarrassing defeats we've ever seen at this level. I realise some have been unhappy with him since day 1, but commentators always seem to get the most stick when we're cr@p.

Even Notts CCC fans were heavily critical of Bracegirdle during the abysmal 2019 season saying he never said anything critical and too pally with players like Mullaney, Patel etc.

durhampie
28-02-2024, 04:19 PM
Probably told JOB to give it all for 45 mins (and he did, best I've seen him play) and JB would come on for him. He also probably thought JB might give his all for the time he had on the pitch (and he didn't, another average side to side performance).

Bostock is just not interested. He has been crap for most of the season, yet we still think he is some sort of superstar.. He needs dropping altogether. What he did last season is long gone... Time for the guy from Crew to step up..

jackal2
28-02-2024, 04:22 PM

I don't mind Bracegirdle's whimsical style to be honest, but I do think the club benefitted from the Charlie Slater era, in terms of attracting a younger audience. One criticism I had of Colin Slater in his later days was that it felt like an exclusive club for over 60's sitting next to the wireless, whereas the Forest commentators were more dynamic. We don't want an image as a club for old codgers sat at home in their armchairs.

M0ufMk3
28-02-2024, 04:32 PM
Probably told JOB to give it all for 45 mins (and he did, best I've seen him play) and JB would come on for him. He also probably thought JB might give his all for the time he had on the pitch (and he didn't, another average side to side performance).

Agree. When JB first arrived I couldn't see what the fuss was about until LW pushed Palmer further back and Bostock further forward. Not all the time, but when that was the case it gave JB less license to muck (I think I've spelt that correctly) about. The deeper he goes the less urgent he becomes which also highlights the occasional carelessness.

On Baldwin, there's no doubt that he screwed up and the alleged broadside to the kop is unforgiveable, but a player like him (good footballer, decent defender, but crucially always has a mistake in him) needs someone alongside at least to be in a position to rescue. Last night he was isolated, running sideways, had to go backwards because forwards was blocked, and was on his wrong foot; cue cock up. Wrong but not entirely unpredictable. As many others have said, there is a reason why someone with his natural ability isn't playing at a higher level.

jackal2
28-02-2024, 05:03 PM
Agree. When JB first arrived I couldn't see what the fuss was about until LW pushed Palmer further back and Bostock further forward. Not all the time, but when that was the case it gave JB less license to muck (I think I've spelt that correctly) about. The deeper he goes the less urgent he becomes which also highlights the occasional carelessness.

Couldn't agree more. Bostock is a very talented footballer, hence why he was once courted by Barcelona, but if he has a future in the team it has to be further up the pitch. His lack of defensive awareness and defensive attributes make him a liability as a deep-lying playmaker at this level. He dwells on the ball too long, and teams set traps and catch him out.

drillerpie
28-02-2024, 05:16 PM

On Baldwin, there's no doubt that he screwed up and the alleged broadside to the kop is unforgiveable, but a player like him (good footballer, decent defender, but crucially always has a mistake in him) needs someone alongside at least to be in a position to rescue. Last night he was isolated, running sideways, had to go backwards because forwards was blocked, and was on his wrong foot; cue cock up. Wrong but not entirely unpredictable. As many others have said, there is a reason why someone with his natural ability isn't playing at a higher level.

For the backpass he was running forwards and had time to play it with either foot or take another touch. I think he played with right foot anyway but would need to see the replay to confirm. He could have also played it square to our defenders running back. He just made a mistake, that's all there is to it really.

About kicking the ball and getting into a confrontation with the Kop, the optics are really bad and it is not a good thing, but he was pissed off because he wanted to start another attack and the ball ended up going for a corner to them. He was probably also pissed off about his mistake knowing he contributed to losing a match we should've won.

Not to justify what he did but at least he was angry about losing. I'd rather that than see players going through the motions not caring if we win or lose. Obviously Baldwin and all the players need to channel any anger they have into their performances rather than outbursts at our fans, but I am pleased that he was pissed off.

1955pie
28-02-2024, 08:37 PM
Aden Baldwin has had a professional career of nearly 9 years.
Here is a list of the clubs he has played for and the heights he has achieved.
https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/aden-baldwin/profil/spieler/384264
He quite clearly is playing at his absolute limits and is not good enough.

eastwoodmagpie
29-02-2024, 06:24 PM

Got to agree, a liability in to many matches, we need better

Mark_Ross
29-02-2024, 08:54 PM
Bostock is just not interested. He has been crap for most of the season, yet we still think he is some sort of superstar.. He needs dropping altogether. What he did last season is long gone... Time for the guy from Crew to step up..

He was fantastic last season, for which we will be forever grateful, but lately he's gone from average to poor.

queenslandpie
01-03-2024, 12:12 AM

Cor blimey that profile picture doesn't do him a lot of favours does it. If he can't look straight its not a surprise he booted the ball into the kop. But yes it would be fair to say he is at his absolute limits. That back pass this week was beyond shocking, you could make a very comedic you tube video out of him and Camerons errors this season I am afraid to say.

i961pie
01-03-2024, 05:46 AM
Got to agree, a liability in to many matches, we need better

Unfortunately at the moment we haven’t got better.

the_anticlough
01-03-2024, 06:18 AM
If we took all 4 back positions over the season and put them on a scale of +10 to -10, where 0 is the L2 average performance...this is what I'd say we have

GK -7
RCB -10
CB -1
LCB -4

The best we've had at RCB (playing more than a couple of games) has been Macari IMO, for his games there I'd put it at -1
Nobody's saying any of our defenders have been great, but GK and RCB have been the biggest problems.

drillerpie
01-03-2024, 06:41 AM
If we took all 4 back positions over the season and put them on a scale of +10 to -10, where 0 is the L2 average performance...this is what I'd say we have

GK -7
RCB -10
CB -1
LCB -4

The best we've had at RCB (playing more than a couple of games) has been Macari IMO, for his games there I'd put it at -1
Nobody's saying any of our defenders have been great, but GK and RCB have been the biggest problems.

If that means that our right sided centre back has been as bad as a L2 footballer can possibly be while Baldwin has been very slightly below L2 average, then I have to disagree.

Baldwin is great to watch - I love the controlling balls on his thigh while running, the balance, the poise, the interceptions, the long raking passes, the (all too rare now) runs out of defence.

But when it goes wrong for him, it goes very wrong, and I have lost count of the times it has gone wrong for him this season.

nw6pie
01-03-2024, 07:37 AM
If that means that our right sided centre back has been as bad as a L2 footballer can possibly be while Baldwin has been very slightly below L2 average, then I have to disagree.

Baldwin is great to watch - I love the controlling balls on his thigh while running, the balance, the poise, the interceptions, the long raking passes, the (all too rare now) runs out of defence.

But when it goes wrong for him, it goes very wrong, and I have lost count of the times it has gone wrong for him this season.

It would definitely be too painful to sit through all of the goals we’ve conceded this season, but I’m guessing we must top the league when it comes to unforced errors leading to goals against - and Baldwin is invariably good for one completely inexplicable error per game. There’s so much of his game that’s great to watch, but if you’re the best defender and keep gifting the opposition chances, you’re a big part of the problem.

Be interesting to see if the club offer him a new contract this summer or if he moves on. If it’s the latter, I just hope he can do so without slipping or bumping into John Bostock on the way out.

the_anticlough
01-03-2024, 08:05 AM

That is what this scale would translate into, 21 rungs so each covering 1 league place or thereabouts.
Yes, I'd say our RCB play has been relegation standard. Imagine if every other position on the pitch was at that low level?! We'd be looking up at Sutton from below.

Baldwin coming in at about 12th/13th? Yes, maybe on the mean side. But for him alone (not CB in general), if you factor in the poor start and the mistakes and say +3 to +1 range and translate that to 9th place, edge of play-offs then that's a respectable effort for a player coming up from non-league football. And we know the ceiling would be a lot higher than that.

SmiffyPie
01-03-2024, 09:42 AM
If Baldwin had a growler playing next to him who shouldered all the pressure he (Baldwin) would be a good pressing CB. He carries the ball well, passes a decent ball and always looks for a pass (for too long sometimes, well most of the time, but that's not his fault if the middle are static). It's his under pressure decision making that is his downfall.

Togtastic
01-03-2024, 11:02 AM
GK -7
RCB -10
CB -1
LCB -4

I think -7 is very generous for our keepers

RCB is about right if you exclude Macari
CB is spot on
LCB has to be the same as RCB -10. Just because he is always selected it doesn't mean Cameron is any good. He has as many errors in him as Baldwin, is as terrified of contact as Brindley, has the concentration level of a goldfish, the fist touch of a hippo and arguably has better supporting cover from Jones than the RCB gets from Nemane.

jacobncfc
01-03-2024, 11:16 AM
If Baldwin had a growler playing next to him who shouldered all the pressure he (Baldwin) would be a good pressing CB. He carries the ball well, passes a decent ball and always looks for a pass (for too long sometimes, well most of the time, but that's not his fault if the middle are static). It's his under pressure decision making that is his downfall.

This has been our biggest problem recruitment wise for me - I think Baldwin and Cameron both have the raw ingredients to be good in the back three we've wanted to play, but both have the same fundamental problem in a tendency to just lose their concentration and make inexplicable mistakes. Neither have played at this level for any significant time before and it's just been crying out for a more experienced, battle-hardened centre back to play in the middle and keep things organised with them either side IMO.

MarcusCole
01-03-2024, 02:25 PM
This has been our biggest problem recruitment wise for me - I think Baldwin and Cameron both have the raw ingredients to be good in the back three we've wanted to play, but both have the same fundamental problem in a tendency to just lose their concentration and make inexplicable mistakes. Neither have played at this level for any significant time before and it's just been crying out for a more experienced, battle-hardened centre back to play in the middle and keep things organised with them either side IMO.

Both of them are non-league at best.

I don't get why people enthuse of Baldwin when most of his passes are back to the keeper. he is so risk averse that if there is the slightest chance of not being able to make a pass he will stop and pass back to the keeper. His head is also firmly up his backside that he can never accept that he is the cause of the issues he is having. After booting the ball into the stand after Tuesdays match his respose was not to apologise but to say "I meant to kick it at the boardings". No matter how many mistakes he makes and how many times he passes back to the keeper at the first sight that there is a possibility that in the near future there is a chance he might encounter an opposition player he stops the build up and passes back to the keeper, he is never dropped.

Next season he will be back in non-league and someone elses problem. He has demonstrated these issues for almost 2 years now, it's not something that can be fixed because he won't accept it.

tommopie8
01-03-2024, 02:42 PM
Both of them are non-league at best.

I don't get why people enthuse of Baldwin when most of his passes are back to the keeper. he is so risk averse that if there is the slightest chance of not being able to make a pass he will stop and pass back to the keeper. His head is also firmly up his backside that he can never accept that he is the cause of the issues he is having. After booting the ball into the stand after Tuesdays match his respose was not to apologise but to say "I meant to kick it at the boardings". No matter how many mistakes he makes and how many times he passes back to the keeper at the first sight that there is a possibility that in the near future there is a chance he might encounter an opposition player he stops the build up and passes back to the keeper, he is never dropped.

Next season he will be back in non-league and someone elses problem. He has demonstrated these issues for almost 2 years now, it's not something that can be fixed because he won't accept it.

Baldwin is a difficult one. His ability exceeds that of most defenders we've had over recent years - especially technically. But the lapses are too frequent and under someone like Clough he'd be banished.

I'd like to see us have continuity (player wise) and both Cameron and Baldwin could be good enough to challenge with support. My caveat to this is Cameron isn't captain and we bring in a leader.