PDA

View Full Version : More time?

Rincewind_rooftrouser
09-03-2024, 04:55 PM
Can anyone honestly say (without the intellectual snobbery of feeling it's 'measured' not to be reactive) that they think SM has it in him to turn this around?

Can anyone name one player who's improved?

One area of the pitch where we look better?

The job is now immeasurably harder than when he arrived despite the slowing momentum. Although it's easy to look committed when things are going well is it all the players' fault for the way they're projecting themselves? The problems aren't just a few sulky players, not that we don't have some - it's maybe not a coincidence that the senior pros are less visible and have gone off the boil as much as anyone.

Yes, recruitment has been dire, but that just means we needed a better, stronger, more experienced character. SM just looks lost.

The bros need to get it done before we write off next season too (at best)

MapperleyMagpie
09-03-2024, 05:01 PM
Nice man, **** manager end of! No more time or the bros will lose all credibility.

Chicken Balti Pie
09-03-2024, 05:01 PM
Defensively just as weak but totally blunted the attack... Get him gone

forwardmagpie
09-03-2024, 05:09 PM
I was for keeping him until the end of the season, I was wrong and would now go for the end of the week!!

the_anticlough
09-03-2024, 05:10 PM
Nice man, **** manager end of! No more time or the bros will lose all credibility.

You say that like Todd in El Camino 'Nice Lady, Excellent housekeeper' as he buries the body in the desert

Bohinen
09-03-2024, 05:14 PM
Can anyone honestly say (without the intellectual snobbery of feeling it's 'measured' not to be reactive) that they think SM has it in him to turn this around?

They will say that, won't they though. They will be along later with their calming words of wisdom, gaslighting those of us who have seen it all along like we are stupid, mad or both.

marky
09-03-2024, 05:17 PM
5 home games and no victories and frankly not even close to a win. Montague and the Owners more to blame but Maynard looks lost.

tommopie8
09-03-2024, 05:20 PM
They will say that, won't they though. They will be along later with their calming words of wisdom, gaslighting those of us who have seen it all along like we are stupid, mad or both.

I wouldn't give him until 6pm let alone end of the season now. He's out of his depth and the sooner we cut ties the sooner we can focus on the future.

This fool will just milk us until the owners realise they've ****ed up because why would he give up the best salary he's ever gonna have?

If the Reedtz brothers think this will work out they need their heads testing - I won't be putting any more of my hard earned wages towards watching his football team. Awful and uninspiring.

Woodypie
09-03-2024, 05:21 PM
I did mention a while ago that Maynard isn't the man for the job. People didn't like it much.

DaveSmithRules
09-03-2024, 05:35 PM
I was there today. I'm not convinced Maynard has it in him to turn this around either. Certainly after today I think our chances of the play offs are over this season

However, I feel it's important to back the owners and the players still. We're on a bad run, but our club has been in much worse situations than mid table League 2 in recent years.

I was pleased to see relatively little booing at the end of today's game. I don't think it helps.

If/ when we change manager I'd also like to see a change of captain too. I don't think KC is inspiring anyone and there's a lack of leadership on the pitch as well as off it.

Woodypie
09-03-2024, 05:39 PM
Maybe Neil is on his way from Aberdeen! I know, I know, doesn't fit the owners' " philosophy" etc. But he couldn't do much worse could he?

Woodypie
09-03-2024, 05:40 PM
Or maybe we could tempt Stuart's replacement at BT to give it a try.

DaveSmithRules
09-03-2024, 05:41 PM
After last post I've just seen Warnock has left Aberdeen. I'm not convinced I'd want him back to replace Maynard. But is there a world out there where he could come in and work alongside him for the rest of the season and make him better at getting more out of these players?

Iremongersrighthand
09-03-2024, 05:43 PM
The players aren't playing for him. So, it's going to be tough for him to change things.

marky
09-03-2024, 05:46 PM
Lets be honest some of our players are just fair weather bottlers so it was always going to be difficult for Maynard but the worry is these "tweaks" seem to have made things worse. Personally I'd still see it out with Maynard until the end of the season but it's unlikely he'll be here next season.

The Dug Out
09-03-2024, 05:47 PM
I was there today. I'm not convinced Maynard has it in him to turn this around either. Certainly after today I think our chances of the play offs are over this season

However, I feel it's important to back the owners and the players still. We're on a bad run, but our club has been in much worse situations than mid table League 2 in recent years.

I was pleased to see relatively little booing at the end of today's game. I don't think it helps.

If/ when we change manager I'd also like to see a change of captain too. I don't think KC is inspiring anyone and there's a lack of leadership on the pitch as well as off it.
Thats because most had left!

drillerpie
09-03-2024, 05:50 PM
The players aren't playing for him. So, it's going to be tough for him to change things.

Personally I didn't see any of our players not playing for the manager today.

tommopie8
09-03-2024, 05:55 PM
After last post I've just seen Warnock has left Aberdeen. I'm not convinced I'd want him back to replace Maynard. But is there a world out there where he could come in and work alongside him for the rest of the season and make him better at getting more out of these players?

I think that would undermine Maynard similar to the Sherwood / Williams situation. I'd offer Warnock the job until the end of the season with Maynard as his assistant. If Maynard isn't happy with that then I'd say goodbye and good luck.

I watched his reaction to the first goal and besides some cheerleading in the form of clapping there was nothing. My personal opinion is he's out of his depth and he knows he's out of his depth. The players don't respect him and they've gone from League 2 caviar to League 2 gruel in the form of coaching they're receiving.

The director of a small 8 person company is not the same as a director of a multi-national. I'm not saying Maynard doesn't have any coaching nous - it's my gut feeling he doesn't have the authority or personality to get the players invested in him. If you can't do that then you can't expect to compete.

Sunken cost fallacy is the only reason SM will remain in post. If someone thinks that the team is in better shape or more prepared for a promotion challenge under Maynard then I'd love to hear why. We are still a relatively big fish in a small pond and if that was my first 6 weeks in a role I'd be seriously worried.

Rincewind_rooftrouser
09-03-2024, 05:55 PM
This fool will just milk us until the owners realise they've ****ed up because why would he give up the best salary he's ever gonna have?

This is part of the problem, he probably isn't in a financial position to save himself from what's most likely a horrible experience, so it's on the club to do it. I'm not holding my breath, they waited til Ardley was absolutely done and did it by 'mutual consent'. He was probably delighted to go

Rincewind_rooftrouser
09-03-2024, 06:02 PM
Lets be honest some of our players are just fair weather bottlers so it was always going to be difficult for Maynard but the worry is these "tweaks" seem to have made things worse. Personally I'd still see it out with Maynard until the end of the season but it's unlikely he'll be here next season.

Some aren't exactly robust but it's the senior players' reaction which is telling. Obviously you can exclude JOB, but Didzy is anonymous and Bostock has just given up. Would we have got either if it wasn't for LW and his style? Bostock wouldn't have come for DM in a million years & Mcgoldrick would surely have thought twice even though it was us. JB was way out of sorts already but he's checked out for me. If he can't get these guys to buy in then there's no hope

nw6pie
09-03-2024, 06:02 PM
We’re not going up this season, we’re not going down, so I would give him the next three away games and Salford at home to turn things around. If the performances are still dire, he has to go and give JOB the job until the end of the season. We then have time to get the right person in for pre-season, which is going to be huge given the deficiencies that are now glaringly obvious.

the_anticlough
09-03-2024, 06:03 PM
The director of a small 8 person company is not the same as a director of a multi-national. I'm not saying Maynard doesn't have any coaching nous - it's my gut feeling he doesn't have the authority or personality to get the players invested in him. If you can't do that then you can't expect to compete.

Yes, personality would have been the trump card to get the players onside and make up for the lack of credentials. That didn't happen - nowhere close.
I think their main approach was ingratiation, blowing smoke up the players arses. That obviously didn't work, they'd have been better off pulling off some unorthodox Mad Dog moves

Our players had just beaten his team 9-1 on aggregate last season, is it any wonder their confidence fell through the floor at being lead by him?

M0ufMk3
09-03-2024, 06:05 PM
I think that would undermine Maynard similar to the Sherwood / Williams situation. I'd offer Warnock the job until the end of the season with Maynard as his assistant. If Maynard isn't happy with that then I'd say goodbye and good luck.

I watched his reaction to the first goal and besides some cheerleading in the form of clapping there was nothing. My personal opinion is he's out of his depth and he knows he's out of his depth. The players don't respect him and they've gone from League 2 caviar to League 2 gruel in the form of coaching they're receiving.

Sunken cost fallacy is the only reason SM will remain in post. If someone thinks that the team is in better shape or more prepared for a promotion challenge under Maynard then I'd love to hear why. We are still a relatively big fish in a small pond and if that was my first 6 weeks in a role I'd be seriously worried.

Good points Tommo , but I'd argue they reflect as badly on the players as the manager. And most especially on the non-captain who should be doing his bit behind the scenes. Or is he just sulking?

The Dug Out
09-03-2024, 06:09 PM
I think SM will be the manager for the forseable future, i dont think the owners will sack him,not even at the end of this, he is their "baby", they will stick with him.
The attendence drop will have been anticipated, so they wont blink on that front, come the close season when NCFC are still in the EFL,just, thanks to points gained in 2023, the rebuild will begin, with SM still manager.

bule1
09-03-2024, 06:16 PM
Agree he will be here for the rest of the season to "prove himself". But not sure after that....

tommopie8
09-03-2024, 06:18 PM
Good points Tommo , but I'd argue they reflect as badly on the players as the manager. And most especially on the non-captain who should be doing his bit behind the scenes. Or is he just sulking?

He may be a captain but do you think he holds any sway over players who have done it time and again at a higher level? Even in this modern world dressing rooms are still ruthless - can you see Kyle or Stuart having the experience or gravitas to have authority in that environment?

Williams and Harley I can - Maynard and what's even his assistant's name? The fact I don't know speaks volumes - I've supported Notts since I was 6, I love Notts and not once have I not been able to tell you the assistant's name.

Maurice Ross was with us for about a month if that - I can tell you his name.

Looking for quality and value is definitely where we need to go - but if we want to see League 1 football any time soon we have to set our standards higher than "did pretty good at Wealdstone".

Davy500
09-03-2024, 06:19 PM
Maybe Neil is on his way from Aberdeen! I know, I know, doesn't fit the owners' " philosophy" etc. But he couldn't do much worse could he?

Neil would have positive ideas of what to do - and more importantly the players would highly respect him and give their all

uysapie
09-03-2024, 06:20 PM
I still think that he is out of his depth in this league. The crap defence isn't helping but after todays' match, I can't see another win. Tactics, what tactics? End of the season at the latest, he has to go.

Iremongersrighthand
09-03-2024, 06:20 PM
Personally I didn't see any of our players not playing for the manager today.
Sure, they ran around.

BigFatPie
09-03-2024, 06:22 PM
I still think that he is out of his depth in this league. The crap defence isn't helping but after todays' match, I can't see another win. Tactics, what tactics? End of the season at the latest, he has to go.

He talked in his post match about how we’ve had a crap defence all season, deliberately ignoring the fact we were in the top 6 all season as well, at least until he showed up.

marky
09-03-2024, 06:23 PM
Sick of this club being stuck in the basement and non league, it's been 10 years since we played in League One and frankly it feels further away than ever, I know a few Lincoln fans and it's horrible them lording it over me and given their result today next week's gonna be even worse.

Davy500
We’re not going up this season, we’re not going down, so I would give him the next three away games and Salford at home to turn things around. If the performances are still dire, he has to go and give JOB the job until the end of the season. We then have time to get the right person in for pre-season, which is going to be huge given the deficiencies that are now glaringly obvious.

Me too - he has to win at least one of the next four games and the team show some belief and positivity in the games - and that is being generous to SM

maddogslater
We've got a real life 🧛*♂️ vampire on our hands, he's sunk his teeth into the cavalier playing style and sucked the lifeblood out of the team.
Better 5 5 than 0 2 1 3 0 1 etc

the_anticlough
09-03-2024, 06:35 PM

I think this underestimates the ever-increasing pressure that builds in squads, when they need their bosses to go. It'll only get worse and worse, we'll lose every game now until the boil is lanced - IMO even just 4 more games of this and the boil becomes a volcano. Everybody needs the blessed release of this being put out of its misery

Davy500
09-03-2024, 06:35 PM
Sick of this club being stuck in the basement and non league, it's been 10 years since we played in League One and frankly it feels further away than ever, I know a few Lincoln fans and it's horrible them lording it over me and given their result today next week's gonna be even worse.

Tell me about it
Ever since i was a young lad in the 90.s i have dreamed of Notts returning to the top 2 tiers, i have been waiting nearly 30 years

CheltenhamPie
09-03-2024, 06:38 PM

I genuinely believe that Notts have now passed the point of no return. The damage being done by the manager to the players and in turn the supporters is undoing everything that has been achieved by the Brothers in the last few years. Action is required tonight, and NW6Pie is correct in suggesting JOB looks after the team for the remainder of the season. This action would stabilise the team, provide confidence to the supporters, and; give the Reedtz Brothers time to get the structure right for season 24/25.

upthemaggies
09-03-2024, 06:41 PM
Four home league defeats on the trot is only one short of the all time club record.

A list of all four-on-the-bounce home league loss sequences since 1960........

Steve Thompson
1. 05/Dec/2006 v HARTLEPOOL U. 0:1
2. 09/Dec/2006 v MACCLESFIELD 1:2
3. 22/Dec/2006 v HEREFORD 0:1
4. 01/Jan/2007 v CHESTER 1:2

Ian McParland
1. 17/Mar/2009 v GILLINGHAM 0:1
2. 04/Apr/2009 v CHESTER 1:2
3. 13/Apr/2009 v GRIMSBY TOWN 0:2
4. 25/Apr/2009 v DAGENHAM & R. 0:3

Ince - Heggs - Allen
1. 08/Mar/2011 v PETERBOROUGH 0:1
2. 19/Mar/2011 v BRISTOL ROV 0:1
3. 02/Apr/2011 v OLDHAM ATH. 0:2
4. 05/Apr/2011 v ROCHDALE 1:2
5. 16/Apr/2011 v BOURNEMOUTH 0:2

Shaun Derry
1. 22/Nov/2014 v YEOVIL TOWN 1:2
2. 13/Dec/2014 v SWINDON TOWN 0:3
3. 16/Dec/2014 v PRESTON NE 0:1
4. 26/Dec/2014 v MILTON KEYNES 0:1

Shaun Derry again in the same season!
1. 24/Jan/2015 v PETERBOROUGH 1:2
2. 07/Feb/2015 v CHESTERFIELD 0:1
3. 17/Feb/2015 v SHEFFIELD UTD 1:2
4. 28/Feb/2015 v PORT VALE 0:1

Stuart Maynard
1. 09/Feb/2024 v GILLINGHAM 1:3
2. 24/Feb/2024 v CREWE ALEX. 1:3
3. 27/Feb/2024 v SUTTON UTD 3:4
4. 09/Mar/2024 v WIMBLEDON 0:2

Kyle95
09-03-2024, 06:55 PM
I have no issues with people wanting the coach out it's their opinion. I do however take issue with people that are saying 'the players aren't playing for him, they don't respect him' sorry if that's true it's not the coach that is the issue it's the players. I don't want players at Notts, that only put a shift in as and when it suits. The harsh reality is this squad was never good enough for promotion. The defenders bar Baldwin and Macari are NL level. Sam Slocombe starting a L2 game in 2024 WOW! Maynard certainly isn't perfect but the problem is way over his head.

tommopie8
09-03-2024, 06:58 PM
I have no issues with people wanting the coach out it's their opinion. I do however take issue with people that are saying 'the players aren't playing for him, they don't respect him' sorry if that's true it's not the coach that is the issue it's the players. I don't want players at Notts, that only put a shift in as and when it suits. The harsh reality is this squad was never good enough for promotion. The defenders bar Baldwin and Macari are NL level. Sam Slocombe starting a L2 game in 2024 WOW! Maynard certainly isn't perfect but the problem is way over his head.

It's not about being good enough for promotion. We've seen what the players are capable of when they're at their best - why do you think the players haven't been anywhere close to their best?

SwalePie
09-03-2024, 07:05 PM
I'd be mightily relieved to find out he's gone tonight.

OP67
09-03-2024, 07:22 PM
Or maybe we could tempt Stuart's replacement at BT to give it a try.

XD That made me chuckle

Smigpie
09-03-2024, 07:22 PM
Whatever the cure is it needs administrating immediately. We have become shot shy cross shy and goal shy instead of the way we used to play. 50 passes up field and back again with absolutely no end product is not the players choice sorry, that’s coached and it needs changing. Unless Jim was injured today taking him off cost us the game as we capitulated as soon as he went. He ran the midfield today breaking play up and creating what little chances we had. Get it sorted notts quickly. Need a minimum 3 points from the next three games.

TSANHO
09-03-2024, 07:25 PM
I'd be mightily relieved to find out he's gone tonight.

That’s one for the history books, even Swales had enough!

durhampie
09-03-2024, 07:26 PM
Whatever the cure is it needs administrating immediately. We have become shot shy cross shy and goal shy instead of the way we used to play. 50 passes up field and back again with absolutely no end product is not the players choice sorry, that’s coached and it needs changing. Unless Jim was injured today taking him off cost us the game as we capitulated as soon as he went. He ran the midfield today breaking play up and creating what little chances we had. Get it sorted notts quickly. Need a minimum 3 points from the next three games.

Jim should never have been taken off, he was our best midfield player. This cost us the game.. If we lose on Tuesday then SM has to go without further delay..

Big Bob
09-03-2024, 07:28 PM
Come on Reedz. Time to act before the club's income starts failing

optipez
09-03-2024, 07:30 PM
Maynard will get sacked pretty soon but we've got some problems that Pep and Klopp wouldn't sort without a refreshed squad.
We've signed eleven players this season;
Stone, Ashby Hammond GK
Macari, Warner, Tipton. Defence.
Crowley, Gosling, Robertson. Midfield.
Randall, Jatta, McGoldrick. Striker.

Only Crowley and Robertson are shoe ins for a starting place. Didzy has the class but we've asked too much of him and Macari has been in and out the team.
We've recruited poorly and have been trying to upgrade on Slocombe for three seasons going through Patterson, Jaros? Stone, Ashby, Mair and Brooks. Our defence is just incapable of doing the basics.
Wimbledon, Crewe and Gillingham showed how to defend at this level, we're incapable with this squad of doing it.
The manager will go but I look at that team and think that overall we're a bit on the small side and lightweight in key areas.

bule1
09-03-2024, 07:32 PM
No point hitting the "sack button" now unless we have a definite replacement, it's already too late for this season. Give Maynard a chance to prove what he can do this season but look for the next manager knowing we are in no rush (unlike when LW left) and have time for the next guy to prep for next season

optipez
09-03-2024, 07:33 PM

I agree, he played well, been a great servant but he's an hour man now. That he's still our best option to start says everything about how weak we actually are. Our midfield with him and Doyle were weak five seasons ago when we went down.

M0ufMk3
09-03-2024, 07:35 PM
He may be a captain but do you think he holds any sway over players who have done it time and again at a higher level? Even in this modern world dressing rooms are still ruthless - can you see Kyle or Stuart having the experience or gravitas to have authority in that environment?

Williams and Harley I can - Maynard and what's even his assistant's name? The fact I don't know speaks volumes - I've supported Notts since I was 6, I love Notts and not once have I not been able to tell you the assistant's name.

Maurice Ross was with us for about a month if that - I can tell you his name.

Looking for quality and value is definitely where we need to go - but if we want to see League 1 football any time soon we have to set our standards higher than "did pretty good at Wealdstone".

LW and Harley might have struggled at first (don't know) but their abilities and obvious knowledge and empathy would have been important. I think my point is that SM has been hurled into a role he probably ought not to have taken (difficult decision to make) but I get the feeling he sure as hell hasn't been helped by poss the most ineffectual captain I can remember.

M0ufMk3
09-03-2024, 07:36 PM
and, per your point re Maynard, shouldn't have been approached for

matt_magpie
09-03-2024, 07:38 PM
No point hitting the "sack button" now unless we have a definite replacement, it's already too late for this season. Give Maynard a chance to prove what he can do this season but look for the next manager knowing we are in no rush (unlike when LW left) and have time for the next guy to prep for next season

I agree with this, I didn’t see a team not fighting today or who lacked ideas, Wimbledon were just defensively very strong and he can’t defend set pieces himself.
Give him till the end of the season whilst having a look around who to replace if it continues.

optipez
09-03-2024, 07:39 PM
It's not about being good enough for promotion. We've seen what the players are capable of when they're at their best - why do you think the players haven't been anywhere close to their best?

They aren't a promotion team, we've come up short against all the top teams all season.

legs77
09-03-2024, 08:05 PM
LW and Harley might have struggled at first (don't know) but their abilities and obvious knowledge and empathy would have been important. I think my point is that SM has been hurled into a role he probably ought not to have taken (difficult decision to make) but I get the feeling he sure as hell hasn't been helped by poss the most ineffectual captain I can remember.

Maynard doesn’t have to play or make Cameron captain though does he.

I think all this talk of blaming the captain is nonsense it’s not really that important in football imo it’s a complete dinosaur attitude you can’t go smashing into players anymore and also the role of captain now is to encourage players not abuse them.

nw6pie
09-03-2024, 08:09 PM
Maynard will get sacked pretty soon but we've got some problems that Pep and Klopp wouldn't sort without a refreshed squad.
We've signed eleven players this season;
Stone, Ashby Hammond GK
Macari, Warner, Tipton. Defence.
Crowley, Gosling, Robertson. Midfield.
Randall, Jatta, McGoldrick. Striker.

Only Crowley and Robertson are shoe ins for a starting place. Didzy has the class but we've asked too much of him and Macari has been in and out the team.
We've recruited poorly and have been trying to upgrade on Slocombe for three seasons going through Patterson, Jaros? Stone, Ashby, Mair and Brooks. Our defence is just incapable of doing the basics.
Wimbledon, Crewe and Gillingham showed how to defend at this level, we're incapable with this squad of doing it.
The manager will go but I look at that team and think that overall we're a bit on the small side and lightweight in key areas.

We also signed Colkett on loan from Crewe, but you could be forgiven for forgetting him - another January signing who wasn’t fit and defied logic when we needed someone to come in and give us an immediate lift.

Also, what does it say about Jatta that he’s not been able to get many minutes? I remember Jodi Jones’ enthusiastic tweet about Jatta being 6’4”, but we’ve barely put a decent cross into the box in 2024.

That 5-0 against Morecambe really does feel like a lifetime ago.

MAD_MAGPIE
09-03-2024, 10:08 PM

This is where I'm at. I thought we were ok today up and till the throw in that lead to the first goal. I thought JOB was the spoiler we needed in midfield and thought he had a good game alongside Robertson. I also felt Nemane had a very good game as well as Macari. A shame JOB had to come off at 70min but you can't expect more from him in that role at his age. I felt he was a loss along with Baldwin through the enforced injury. But once again two aerial balls into the box and we were found wanting. The manager can't be blamed for that we've been doing these things all season.

The comparison between LW and SM results against all the eight teams is still paper thin like when I posed this a few weeks ago. (See below) However under LW we were losing against these sides but there was the credit of last season and other notable good results and performances in-between.

I'm not advocating a defence for SM or trying to prove LW is no better. It's interesting and remarkable that despite trying to approach our defensive problems in two ways one outscoring the other team (aka Moniz) the other respecting the point (aka Ardley) yet the outcome against these sides has merited the same results apart from Gillingham.

Under SM as we may have expected the attacking threat has took a hit to try and remedy the defensive frailties. The game today was a perfect example. Under LW we lost to Wimbledon 4-2 but today lost 0-2. The same result but a different score line.

What's not done or doing SM any favours is at home the consecutive defeats are stacking up but also the entertainment levels and conviction have dropped.

For me whoever is head coach next season the club have simply got to upgrade the defence and bring in League Two experienced central defenders (see Crewe, Wimbledon, Mansfield) and a Patterson type of goalkeeper. The alarm bells on this are ringing loud and clear and have been since Sutton on the opening day. The January transfer window is never a magic bullet. The summer is when the most and best availability is out there.

Luke Williams = P8, W2, D1, L5, GF10, GA18, GD-8, Pts 7
Barrow 1-1 (Draw)
Gillingham 2-1 (Won)
Mansfield 1-4 (Lost)
Newport 3-0 (Won)
Wrexham 0-2 (Lost)
Crewe 0-1 (Lost)
Sutton 1-5 (Lost)
AFC Wimbledon 2-4 (Lost)

Stuart Maynard = P8, W1, D1, L6, GF9, GA16, GD-7, Pts 4
Barrow 1-1 (Draw)
Gillingham 1-3 (Lost)
Mansfield 0-1 (Lost)
Newport 3-1 (Won)
Wrexham 0-1 (Lost)
Crewe 1-3 (Lost)
Sutton 3-4 (Lost)
AFC Wimbledon 0-2 (Lost)

Pietastic
09-03-2024, 10:30 PM
The problem with sacking the manager is that you risk bringing back the instability years - and that was a s*** time for our club. The "out of his depth" and "losing the dressing room" is unlikely - if you take the frustration and emotion away - but I can't really defend the bad results. I actually really liked us today (until the last 15 minutes!!) - thought the attitude was spot on and to be fair Langstaff could have had two today pretty easily.... But it's hard when you're on a bad run, confidence is lower and luck isn't coming your way.

I'm not against people's opinions - and they may be right about Maynard not being right (tho personally I hope not) - but I do think people are human and turning on people and dissing them just brings the worst out of everyone.

Piessince67
09-03-2024, 10:33 PM
People can defend the manager as much as they want but he is not a winner and needs to be gone.Please dont let him go to the end of the season.Our season ticket sales will seriously suffer.

marky
09-03-2024, 10:37 PM
This isn't a criticism of Maynard but ask yourself this.
If Nigel Clough had left Mansfield in January or Challinor left Stockport would they have appointed or even considered Maynard. I suspect not.

MAD_MAGPIE
09-03-2024, 10:47 PM
The problem with sacking the manager is that you risk bringing back the instability years - and that was a s*** time for our club. The "out of his depth" and "losing the dressing room" is unlikely - if you take the frustration and emotion away - but I can't really defend the bad results. I actually really liked us today (until the last 15 minutes!!) - thought the attitude was spot on and to be fair Langstaff could have had two today pretty easily.... But it's hard when you're on a bad run, confidence is lower and luck isn't coming your way.

I'm not against people's opinions - and they may be right about Maynard not being right (tho personally I hope not) - but I do think people are human and turning on people and dissing them just brings the worst out of everyone.

I would agree that comments such as "clueless" "out of his depth" and "lost the dressing room" or "the players don't respect him" are more emotive responses. I don't believe we have such characters at the club these days. The senior players we have such as Bostock, David McGoldrick are far better professionals than those types of players. Plus JOB out there today with his Notts tattoo showed none of that. The same goes for Rawlinson and Slocombe.

I would be questioning the players if they had downed tools. I didn't see a group of players against Mansfield, Wrexham or AFC Wimbledon today displaying any of those qualities. Neither was the case against Newport or Barrow.

Even against the likes of Crewe, Gillingham and Sutton. What I see is a team lacking in belief and conviction a bit and lower in confidence than before LW left with individual errors being punished causing confidence to drop further.

I thought we were decent for a point until we conceded today. I thought the same against Mansfield and Wrexham.

We desperately need a win, somehow somewhere away at Crawley on Tuesday will be a start. It needs to be SM's equivalent of LW's Chesterfield away game that became a catalyst and a galvanising game that would define the start of his tenure. Lets hope.

crazyfists
09-03-2024, 10:50 PM

Agree with this in regards to the instability years and also being rude about SM. Seen a few calling him a clown, not warranted at all.

Piessince67
09-03-2024, 10:53 PM
Look guys you all know he is not going to turn this round,you all know that.

TedBovisPie
09-03-2024, 10:54 PM
It was always a concern for me that he did not have coaching experience at a higher level, something both LW and Burchnall had. At this point we may as well have had Bill Maynard (RIP) in charge, he couldn’t have done much worse.

Piessince67
09-03-2024, 11:01 PM
Just accept the mistake,wish him well but please lets get a proper manager in.

optipez
09-03-2024, 11:27 PM
This is where I'm at. I thought we were ok today up and till the throw in that lead to the first goal. I thought JOB was the spoiler we needed in midfield and thought he had a good game alongside Robertson. I also felt Nemane had a very good game as well as Macari. A shame JOB had to come off at 70min but you can't expect more from him in that role at his age. I felt he was a loss along with Baldwin through the enforced injury. But once again two aerial balls into the box and we were found wanting. The manager can't be blamed for that we've been doing these things all season.

The comparison between LW and SM results against all the eight teams is still paper thin like when I posed this a few weeks ago. (See below) However under LW we were losing against these sides but there was the credit of last season and other notable good results and performances in-between.

I'm not advocating a defence for SM or trying to prove LW is no better. It's interesting and remarkable that despite trying to approach our defensive problems in two ways one outscoring the other team (aka Moniz) the other respecting the point (aka Ardley) yet the outcome against these sides has merited the same results apart from Gillingham.

Under SM as we may have expected the attacking threat has took a hit to try and remedy the defensive frailties. The game today was a perfect example. Under LW we lost to Wimbledon 4-2 but today lost 0-2. The same result but a different score line.

What's not done or doing SM any favours is at home the consecutive defeats are stacking up but also the entertainment levels and conviction have dropped.

For me whoever is head coach next season the club have simply got to upgrade the defence and bring in League Two experienced central defenders (see Crewe, Wimbledon, Mansfield) and a Patterson type of goalkeeper. The alarm bells on this are ringing loud and clear and have been since Sutton on the opening day. The January transfer window is never a magic bullet. The summer is when the most and best availability is out there.

Barrow 1-1 (Draw)
Gillingham 2-1 (Won)
Mansfield 1-4 (Lost)
Newport 3-0 (Won)
Wrexham 0-2 (Lost)
Crewe 0-1 (Lost)
Sutton 1-5 (Lost)
AFC Wimbledon 2-4 (Lost)

Barrow 1-1 (Draw)
Gillingham 1-3 (Lost)
Mansfield 0-1 (Lost)
Newport 3-1 (Won)
Wrexham 0-1 (Lost)
Crewe 1-3 (Lost)
Sutton 3-4 (Lost)
AFC Wimbledon 0-2 (Lost)

That's quite telling. No improvement but only marginally worse.
I'm not saying Maynard is the answer but I think half of our squad are not the answer.

ajojones
10-03-2024, 12:12 AM
So bad - starting to think some of our players are throwing it. We can't gauratee a win even when we score 5 goals.

Cant be right.

Manager was never up to it, could see that after just a few games but we we couldn't stop conceding before he came. Really confusing (and sad) where we now find ourselves.

Taxi for Maynard please.

Jampie
10-03-2024, 12:20 AM
As I've said, if the owners decide to replace him, the first we're likely to hear about it is the announcement of the incoming manager.

They won't sack him without a replacement. In their shoes I would always have a shortlist of head coach candidates we're interested and right now I'd be very interested in that shortlist.

I wouldn't seriously consider replacing him until at least ten games in. On trend there's a few miserable games left before that. It clearly is not working out so far.

And... I wouldn't be overly shocked if he's here for a lot longer. As others have said, they might feel they have this season to either get him firing on all cylinders or find a strong replacement.

kill_the_drum
10-03-2024, 07:56 AM
You can have any coach on the planet and they won’t stop the nature of the goals we’re conceding.
I’ve not seen enough yet to suggest he’s out of his depth, it’s just an easy blame to lay. Especially when this run of form was well in place before he arrived.
Yesterday the players put in a shift and generally controlled the game. The formation looked balanced and I was happy with what I was seeing, until the Sunday league defending crept in again.
Maynard has no influence over a defender (who wouldn’t have been on the pitch by his choice) heading in his own net. Nor can he influence a striker missing from 2 yards.
I’m not saying he’s the right man for the job, I just don’t know how it can be deemed he’s the wrong man.

upthemaggies
10-03-2024, 08:58 AM
That's quite telling. No improvement but only marginally worse.

If the distinction between home and away games had been made on that comparison list, it would carry a whole different meaning,. Maynard has had 5 of those 8 clubs at home (LW had 3) as well as the more winnable fixtures at home. The two 'like for like' opponents LW lost to at home were against the current top two.
LW beat all of the next three opponents coming up (Crawley, Accy & Bradford) so it will probably become a mute point anyway in the next 10 days.

forwardmagpie
10-03-2024, 09:13 AM
Just watched his after match press conference, he looked a deflated and beaten man. I’m not sure he can invigorate the players to perform any better than they are doing. It’s okay saying we can’t defend set pieces into our box but you are the coach do something about it. Maybe play Jatta to help defend corners but it’s a problem he needs to solve.

upthemaggies
10-03-2024, 09:26 AM
Just watched his after match press conference, he looked a deflated and beaten man. I’m not sure he can invigorate the players to perform any better than they are doing. It’s okay saying we can’t defend set pieces into our box but you are the coach do something about it. Maybe play Jatta to help defend corners but it’s a problem he needs to solve.

A lot of people are saying it's on the players and that they need to take responsibility. If this is the case, what is the point of having a manager? It's his job to organise, motivate and get the best out of them collectively according to their strengths and weaknesses.

A lot of people are also saying it wouldn't be any different if LW were still in charge, yet LW's home form was as strong as ever winning 4 of his last 5 at Meadow Lane, scoring 16 goals and conceding 5.

Chicken Balti Pie
10-03-2024, 09:37 AM
A lot of people are saying it's on the players and that they need to take responsibility. If this is the case, what is the point of having a manager? It's his job to organise, motivate and get the best out of them collectively according to their strengths and weaknesses.

A lot of people are also saying it wouldn't be any different if LW were still in charge, yet LW's home form was as strong as ever winning 4 of his last 5 at Meadow Lane, scoring 16 goals and conceding 5.

Basically we needed to keep gung ho at home where it was working but away we needed to be more measured, that was the tweak we needed, instead we get this

optipez
10-03-2024, 11:37 AM
If the distinction between home and away games had been made on that comparison list, it would carry a whole different meaning,. Maynard has had 5 of those 8 clubs at home (LW had 3) as well as the more winnable fixtures at home. The two 'like for like' opponents LW lost to at home were against the current top two.
LW beat all of the next three opponents coming up (Crawley, Accy & Bradford) so it will probably become a mute point anyway in the next 10 days.

I agree it's not a perfect comparison but the goals against column has been consistent all season.
We don't have a decent keeper and without Baldwin, who has been far from perfect this season we can't pair a decent set of centre halves.
I'm not saying Maynard is blameless but nor do I think he's clueless. I've not heard him say anything ridiculous or actually field a team that I think is just wrong. Keeping a club mid table in the NL on a tiny budget part time is not something many can do.
I'm happy he's playing Jimbo ahead of Bostock, that Macari has taken the place of Brindley and that we played Chicksen to try to stop us being so vulnerable down the flanks with just Nemane and Jones getting done week after week.
I do blame Montague this season, we've signed 12 and only 3 or 4 look an upgrade, the rest just bench warmers.
I think the playoffs are gone, I think internally the club should now accept that and take the pressure off. We still need to go all out to win each game but part of our problem now is the desperation to be in the playoffs, it's colouring everything and for me the reality is we do not have a promotion winning squad, we're just not quite strong enough in key areas.

Rincewind_rooftrouser
10-03-2024, 11:39 AM

Barrow 1-1 (Draw)
Gillingham 2-1 (Won)
Mansfield 1-4 (Lost)
Newport 3-0 (Won)
Wrexham 0-2 (Lost)
Crewe 0-1 (Lost)
Sutton 1-5 (Lost)
AFC Wimbledon 2-4 (Lost)

Barrow 1-1 (Draw)
Gillingham 1-3 (Lost)
Mansfield 0-1 (Lost)
Newport 3-1 (Won)
Wrexham 0-1 (Lost)
Crewe 1-3 (Lost)
Sutton 3-4 (Lost)
AFC Wimbledon 0-2 (Lost)

To pick out the Sutton results as an example though, it didn't take long for LW to change things and acclimatise, to the extent that we were more or less unplayable at times even though the defence was never fully sorted. So far SM has followed up the Sutton debacle with a home defeat to nil where the positives are that we were ok (up to a point) before they scored. I don't see any signs whatsoever that SM has a plan to put things right & if he presents himself to the players as he does to the media then there's surely very little chance he will get real buy-in.

Just as big a worry is the damage this is doing to our biggest assets. JJ and ML are likely to go in the summer and any rebuild will hinge on the proceeds. If you really go along with the comments from now-AWOL Joe Palmer about not needing to sell then you probably haven't read the room, particularly the stream of young, cheap loan signings and the manager himself (make of Jatta's inter-group money shuffling move what you will)

Woodypie
10-03-2024, 11:57 AM
My thoughts on Maynard have been clear for a long time. I don't think it is now an 'if' he is asked to go, so much as 'when'. Personally I think it will be damaging for next season to keep him in post till this season's end. Players seem uncertain and uncomfortable with the current situation. Getting a new coach in now might help for next season's planning, not least with ideas about who needs to go. I am serious about Warnock, I think a short term position would galvanise support and players. He clearly wouldn't be a long term option but can anyone doubt that he loves Notts? Alternatively, I would be happy to see O'Brien return as a caretaker.

durhampie
10-03-2024, 12:10 PM
To pick out the Sutton results as an example though, it didn't take long for LW to change things and acclimatise, to the extent that we were more or less unplayable at times even though the defence was never fully sorted. So far SM has followed up the Sutton debacle with a home defeat to nil where the positives are that we were ok (up to a point) before they scored. I don't see any signs whatsoever that SM has a plan to put things right & if he presents himself to the players as he does to the media then there's surely very little chance he will get real buy-in.

Just as big a worry is the damage this is doing to our biggest assets. JJ and ML are likely to go in the summer and any rebuild will hinge on the proceeds. If you really go along with the comments from now-AWOL Joe Palmer about not needing to sell then you probably haven't read the room, particularly the stream of young, cheap loan signings and the manager himself (make of Jatta's inter-group money shuffling move what you will)

We have too many small players and no physicality in the team.. Yesterday we had Nemane marking the tallest player from a corner, result a goal... In this division we need some height and brute force, not a bunch of twinkle toed lightweights...

upthemaggies
10-03-2024, 12:22 PM
My thoughts on Maynard have been clear for a long time. I don't think it is now an 'if' he is asked to go, so much as 'when'. Personally I think it will be damaging for next season to keep him in post till this season's end. Players seem uncertain and uncomfortable with the current situation. Getting a new coach in now might help for next season's planning, not least with ideas about who needs to go. I am serious about Warnock, I think a short term position would galvanise support and players. He clearly wouldn't be a long term option but can anyone doubt that he loves Notts? Alternatively, I would be happy to see O'Brien return as a caretaker.

I would think the caretaker option is the only realistic one still left on the table.

Warnock or somebody to the end of the season for a short term lift makes much less sense now than it did in January. 8 points adrift of 7th is bordering on the insurmountable with 11 games to play. It looks like Maynard will still be in charge for Crawley at least, so the gap may be bigger by the time he departs, if he does go this season.

Bringing in a new manager who we intend to still have in charge for the start of next season could be very damaging to the new man if he struggles to turn things around before May, he'd be walking in to a club low on confidence and with a bad atmosphere as opposed to starting afresh in the summer with a pre-season to settle in with.

It does make sense to leave Maynard in charge for these next 3 away games, so long as he doesn't totally "lose the dressing room". The next home game however, if we haven't won before then, could turn seriously toxic. It might have been a lot worse yesterday - crowd reaction wise - had we fallen behind early instead of late in the game when people could just walk out rather than have to sit there becoming increasingly frustrated and angry.

Woodypie
10-03-2024, 12:31 PM
I would think the caretaker option is the only realistic one still left on the table.

Warnock or somebody to the end of the season for a short term lift makes much less sense now than it did in January. 8 points adrift of 7th is bordering on the insurmountable with 11 games to play. It looks like Maynard will still be in charge for Crawley at least, so the gap may be bigger by the time he departs, if he does go this season.

Bringing in a new manager who we intend to still have in charge for the start of next season could be very damaging to the new man if he struggles to turn things around before May, he'd be walking in to a club low on confidence and with a bad atmosphere as opposed to starting afresh in the summer with a pre-season to settle in with.

It does make sense to leave Maynard in charge for these next 3 away games, so long as he doesn't totally "lose the dressing room". The next home game however, if we haven't won before then, could turn seriously toxic. It might have been a lot worse yesterday - crowd reaction wise - had we fallen behind early instead of late in the game when people could just walk out rather than have to sit there becoming increasingly frustrated and angry.
Fair point, a manager for next season needs a clean start, not damaged by this season's failings.

Bohinen
10-03-2024, 01:22 PM
I was reading about Warnock's so called failure at Aberdeen and he was really only brought in to steady the ship whilst the club looked for a permanent new manager. He identified the weaknesses in the side, just like he did when he came to Notts (in our case, Leonard, Mills and Birtles). Then he got them through to the Scottish Cup semi finals and asked to leave on a high note, urging the club to sign a permanent manager, which they are close to, apparently.

Whilst I don't think he could turn things around at Notts at this late stage, at least things couldn't get much worse. Maybe he could then mentor Jim O'Brien, who would do a better job than Maynard anyway. I think JOB might be better than any other manager the brothers and Monatgue bring in for madcap reasons justified by following the data.

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/neil-warnock-reveals-aberdeen-fc-32313322

marky
10-03-2024, 01:30 PM
I don't want Jim o Brien in charge because we still need him ON the field which shows how badly our recruitment has been. The problem is every time I say this I get told I'm being negative towards him.

durhampie
10-03-2024, 02:01 PM
I don't want Jim o Brien in charge because we still need him ON the field which shows how badly our recruitment has been. The problem is every time I say this I get told I'm being negative towards him.

Jim has been our best player for the last few games, the likes of Bostock and co should try emulating him...

ancientpie
10-03-2024, 02:18 PM
Although I very much doubt SM has it in him to turn this around I see little point in getting rid until the end of the season, we have to realise that confidence & form is shot & it looks like recruitment has in the main been very poor. If we were to bring a new manager in now & there wasn't an immediate improvement would we be looking to sack again before next season? it wouldn't look good to any potential new manager if we went back to the old hire em & fire em routine. Give him until the end of the season & if there is no major improvement take our time over finding a replacement. COYP

nw6pie
10-03-2024, 06:15 PM
We have too many small players and no physicality in the team.. Yesterday we had Nemane marking the tallest player from a corner, result a goal... In this division we need some height and brute force, not a bunch of twinkle toed lightweights...

It’s so odd that this side of the game has been so badly overlooked - as if physicality and athleticism don’t matter in comparison to being able to retain possession (let’s leave aside the fact that most of that possession has become increasingly sterile and ineffective). Yet the most obvious thing in football is that the higher up the leagues you go, the more powerful and athletic the players become.

Our summer recruitment is crucial, otherwise all the signs are that we’re going to end up back in the dreaded NL - which would completely destroy everything being done to rebuild the youth set-up.

Pietastic
10-03-2024, 07:01 PM

Barrow 1-1 (Draw)
Gillingham 2-1 (Won)
Mansfield 1-4 (Lost)
Newport 3-0 (Won)
Wrexham 0-2 (Lost)
Crewe 0-1 (Lost)
Sutton 1-5 (Lost)
AFC Wimbledon 2-4 (Lost)

Barrow 1-1 (Draw)
Gillingham 1-3 (Lost)
Mansfield 0-1 (Lost)
Newport 3-1 (Won)
Wrexham 0-1 (Lost)
Crewe 1-3 (Lost)
Sutton 3-4 (Lost)
AFC Wimbledon 0-2 (Lost)

This is bloody brilliant - now there is a bit of statistical data to get beyond the emotion. I remember being at the Mansfield home game and my heart sank - I "knew" something had shifted and we weren't the same team. So if you look at those stats (and I know there has been a bit of further analysis - fair enough) basically Stuart in a time of transition and without our best player (Matty Palmer) has carried on at a similar level to Lord Luke. So the narrative about Stuart this Stuart that just doesn't add up. This is what p***** me off - because it's actually a fair comment he made in his last interview - the club need's its fans more than ever now.

We're on a slide and it we turn toxic and shatter people's confidence more the slide goes deeper and longer... Or we show our faith and belief and we help the club turn it round. I know they are professionals but psychologically to be working so hard, getting your spirits up only to lose by a goal, or get cheated out of an equalizer like at Wrexham AND have supporters lose faith in you is just going to make things worse. Until the last 20 yesterday that was a really hard working performance that made me proud to be a Notts supporter. They all desperately want to turn this round I reckon - let's get behind them and bring the best out of them!?

OldMagpie60
10-03-2024, 07:31 PM
I’m new to this forum and have been a Magpie for over 50 years, so have seen it all. I’ve also been a manager for c.40 years.
I totally agree that it’s not always right to have a merry go round of managers, but data analysis will not tell you whether a squad will feel motivated by an appointment or whether players will respect the new coach. That comes from good leadership and quality decisions from owners - this time the Bros’ EFL inexperience has been exposed.
Yes players need to take responsibility but I doubt many of ours were impressed by SM replacing LW - we all know we needed an LW upgrade not an LW trainee!
Recruitment has been dreadful - we were the best footballing team in the NL but were lucky at Wembley where defensive frailties were clear even then. And yet we didn’t upgrade the defence and bring in some more physicality particularly in midfield. EFL 1 & 2 requires some steel to match the creativity.
All of that said SM is not the right character to move us on and if LW had stayed I doubt we’d be 15th now. Senior players will have enough nous to know the game is up this year and human nature has kicked in. It’s unavoidable. I agree with others that we need a credible caretaker to help save the season and keep the very real assets we have in JJ, ML, JB, McGoldrick & Palmer etc.
We need to get back on track sharpish to retain these guys and decent crowds / season ticket sales next season. N
Sadly I think the Bros must swallow pride and SM must go soon. He’s a decent guy and decent coach but it’s the wrong job, wrong time, wrong level.