PDA

View Full Version : Swansea fan here with many thanks

colsy70
19-03-2024, 07:15 PM
https://www.swanseacity.com/news/alternative-view-swansea-city-v-cardiff-city

Local derbies are no different around the country while last Saturday's game v Cardiff City is no exception.
Just sending my thanks for Luke Williams, a coach much adored with County who has endeared himself to the Swansea Way almost instantly and hope you enjoy the attached match video.

irish_pie
19-03-2024, 07:28 PM

Local derbies are no different around the country while last Saturday's game v Cardiff City is no exception.
Just sending my thanks for Luke Williams, a coach much adored with County who has endeared himself to the Swansea Way almost instantly and hope you enjoy the attached match video.

I'll tell you what mate...our replacement had been absolutely shocking...we are dropping quicker than a hookers underwear... Luke looks to be getting to grips with things at the Swans, best of luck 👍

TSANHO
19-03-2024, 07:37 PM

Our new coach is even better, you’d be better off taking him and sending that duffer Williams back to us 👍

Jampie
20-03-2024, 12:02 AM
Great to see Luke doing well, and best of luck for the future :)

slack_pie
20-03-2024, 09:24 AM
Luke Williams is a legend. Not just a talented, forward-thinking manager, but a genuinely inspirational guy. I honestly think his personality is a big part of his success. His ability to get fans, players, and club aligned and in tune is second to none.

ajojones
20-03-2024, 11:00 AM
Luke Williams is a legend. Not just a talented, forward-thinking manager, but a genuinely inspirational guy. I honestly think his personality is a big part of his success. His ability to get fans, players, and club aligned and in tune is second to none.

Fully agree. Sadly we can't go backwards. Hope SM can pull it round but struggling to see it. Bradford was a pleasure and more like the exciting Notts, hope it continues.

slack_pie
20-03-2024, 01:18 PM
Fully agree. Sadly we can't go backwards. Hope SM can pull it round but struggling to see it. Bradford was a pleasure and more like the exciting Notts, hope it continues.

I don't think Maynard will ever be the inspirational leader that Williams was, but that's the case for pretty much any other coach we could bring in. Time will tell whether Maynard is a talented enough coach to get us moving up the table, but I'm cautiously optimistic after last night.

OP67
20-03-2024, 03:38 PM

Not so long ago I noticed a lot of Swans fans were wondering why they'd bought him in though as he couldn't buy a win. A good win does wonders for the manager, especailly in a local derby. Some big clubs at the bottom half of the Championship though so still plenty to play for.

Will the owners back him in the transfer market next season and how do you recruit?

BenFostersGloves
20-03-2024, 04:13 PM
I think I'm going to throw up.

upthemaggies
20-03-2024, 04:22 PM
I think I'm going to throw up.

I'd always assumed you lot hated Chester and generally liked to see the other Welsh sides do well.

MAD_MAGPIE
20-03-2024, 05:59 PM

The qualities you mention about being inspirational and his personality are what set the best managers from the rest. That is why it’s hit the club hard with him leaving.

Following LW was always going to be a tough act to follow and there was always going to be a period of adjustment required. SM now has to try and build on the last two games with a much needed win at Meadow Lane on Saturday. We’ve not had the best of luck on the road under his tenure so far but I’ve not seen anything to suggest the players have downed tools or not trying. It’s been fine margins. Thankfully luck turned our way last night.

Now we could do with some positive performances and wins at home from now until the end of the season which will help and give us all some hope that the bigger issues can be rectified in the summer transfer window.

Woodypie
20-03-2024, 10:59 PM
I don't think Maynard will ever be the inspirational leader that Williams was, but that's the case for pretty much any other coach we could bring in. Time will tell whether Maynard is a talented enough coach to get us moving up the table, but I'm cautiously optimistic after last night.

I think time has already told us Maynard is no Williams.

slack_pie
21-03-2024, 08:07 AM

I don't think anyone would be another Williams though.

maddogslater
21-03-2024, 08:26 AM

Why wooðy be , let's see what mickey can do on Saturday, he deserves a chance after the last two games.

BenFostersGloves
21-03-2024, 11:25 AM
I'd always assumed you lot hated Chester and generally liked to see the other Welsh sides do well.

We do hate Chester, although they're that crap now they're pretty much irrelevant to us.

Don't think any other Welsh club has any time for Swansea fans though. They are an extremely weird bunch with their union jack flags etc. Never really understood that. Maybe they're all just really crap at Geography. Bizarre.

slack_pie
21-03-2024, 11:31 AM
We do hate Chester, although they're that crap now they're pretty much irrelevant to us.

Don't think any other Welsh club has any time for Swansea fans though. They are an extremely weird bunch with their union jack flags etc. Never really understood that. Maybe they're all just really crap at Geography. Bizarre.

Wales is in the United Kingdom though, so it's not that weird. Are Wrexham fans all Welsh separatists who think they'd be better off on their own?

Kent Magpie
21-03-2024, 11:41 AM
I used to live near Wrexham... being on their own would probably suit everyone.

Old_pie
21-03-2024, 11:55 AM

Eh if you want to go off and join your own Welsh league we're not stopping you. "Cymru Premier"

slack_pie
21-03-2024, 12:11 PM
I used to live near Wrexham... being on their own would probably suit everyone.

And with their booming economy, I'm sure they'd be just fine.

upthemaggies
21-03-2024, 12:55 PM
I always associate Wrexham with major injustice thanks to two TV games involving them when I was first properly getting into football, one against Blyth Spartans (Ref may have been technically correct to rule out the Blyth goal over a fallen corner flag but it was cruel) and then one against West Ham which went against them - their keeper Dai Davies sent off for racing after the ref and grabbing hold of him following a clear handball leading to the West Ham goal, surprisingly not on youtube.

SmiffyPie
21-03-2024, 02:12 PM

Don't think any other Welsh club has any time for Swansea fans though. They are an extremely weird bunch with their union jack flags etc. Never really understood that. Maybe they're all just really crap at Geography. Bizarre.Glamorgan has supported the English Crown for a long time (read something once about a "Glamorgan kiss" an act of betrayal to the Welsh in favour of the English by a Glamorgan noble?)
Quote:
"Glamorgan, now falling under the protection of the crown, was also involved in the conflicts of the crown. With the start of the First English Civil War, there was little support from the Welsh for the Parliamentarians.[53] Glamorgan sent troops to join Charles I at the Battle of Edgehill, and their Member of Parliament Sir Edward Stradling was captured in the conflict.[54] In the Second English Civil War, the war came to Glamorgan at the Battle of St Fagans (1648), where the New Model Army overcame a larger Royalist to prevent a siege of Cardiff."

(The New Model Army wasn't the group!)

slack_pie
21-03-2024, 02:48 PM
It seems to me that if discussed long enough, any football-related thread or story will eventually become about Wrexham. We could call it "Mullin's law".

upthemaggies
21-03-2024, 03:19 PM
I just seen this....

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/GJMBRQzXcAEsW1E?format=jpg&name=large

Kent Magpie
21-03-2024, 03:35 PM
I just seen this....

F*****t above us? Surely the fact that they are the only ones with the 2 stars on their badge deserves relegating them to MK Dons' level. I gather they refer to the fact that they won the European Cup once upon a time, in a galaxy far far away.

BenFostersGloves
21-03-2024, 03:55 PM
Wales is in the United Kingdom though, so it's not that weird. Are Wrexham fans all Welsh separatists who think they'd be better off on their own?

It is weird if you're Welsh.
Simply put; We don't need another flag to hang we have the Welsh one, just like England and Scotland etc etc have their own flag. Sticking to the realms of football, I don't see where or why a union jack flag has a place.

No idea about your separatists question, as I haven't had the time or inclination to ask them all.

I see my comment has triggered a few, not quite sure why.

BenFostersGloves
21-03-2024, 04:01 PM
I just seen this....

The only thing set in stone about that is the section MK Dons are in. Think we can all agree about those sh!t houses

upthemaggies
21-03-2024, 04:12 PM
The only thing set in stone about that is the section MK Dons are in. Think we can all agree about those sh!t houses

I'm trying to work out who he must support. Can't be a Leeds fan with Sheff Wed so high, nor Liverpool with Man City ranked "Quality fans".
Ipswich maybe, seeing where they are in relation to Norwich, Colchester and Luton.

1955pie
21-03-2024, 04:26 PM
I'm trying to work out who he must support. Can't be a Leeds fan with Sheff Wed so high, nor Liverpool with Man City ranked "Quality fans".
Ipswich maybe, seeing where they are in relation to Norwich, Colchester and Luton.

Come on. It has to be Wimbledon. It might be a "she" by the way.

Kent Magpie
21-03-2024, 04:33 PM
It is weird if you're Welsh.
Simply put; We don't need another flag to hang we have the Welsh one, just like England and Scotland etc etc have their own flag. Sticking to the realms of football, I don't see where or why a union jack flag has a place.

No idea about your separatists question, as I haven't had the time or inclination to ask them all.

I see my comment has triggered a few, not quite sure why.

Just an easy shot on my part. I really enjoyed my year there. I even went to the Racecourse a few times. I saw Linfield vs Sparta Prague(?) there, Wales and Wrexham a few times.

upthemaggies
21-03-2024, 05:43 PM
Come on. It has to be Wimbledon.

I can't imagine Wimbledon fans bracketing themselves in with Crystal Palace and Millwall, but who knows, MK Dons are universally hated.

1955pie
21-03-2024, 08:45 PM
I can't imagine Wimbledon fans bracketing themselves in with Crystal Palace and Millwall, but who knows, MK Dons are universally hated.

I suspect this is something doing the rounds.
I'm sure someone could swap MK Dons for Florist and/or Mansfailed.