PDA

View Full Version : Magpie Circle special with Joe Palmer, Richard Montague, Mark Stallard and Paul Mace

Oldstripy
17-04-2024, 05:28 PM
In the can: 86 minutes of a special season review episode with CEO Joe Palmer and director Richard Montague (would have been 90 but the Stockport ref blew the final whistle early !). Everything on the record. Live from 7pm tonight DO NOT MISS

Glad2BeAPie
17-04-2024, 06:19 PM
It's not live as it was recorded this morning

Chicken Balti Pie
17-04-2024, 06:23 PM
It's not live as it was recorded this morning

I think they mean it's out, some people use the term live when it's released, sometimes used in technology

keldsyke
17-04-2024, 07:41 PM
Had to switch off after 50 mins, nothing there to reassure me about recruitment, basically overachieve on under budget with ‘ lucky dips’, we all (supporters) could see the problems last season defensively but they thought we were ok.

drillerpie
17-04-2024, 07:45 PM
Key takeaways:

Macca going for £20M in the summer

The Nest to be knocked down and replaced with luxury flats in 10 years

Stall showing all the bravery and determination we used to see from him on the pitch by not shirking the challenge of saying "self sustainable asset" with whatever oral issues he is currently going through.

matt_magpie
17-04-2024, 08:02 PM
Had to switch off after 50 mins, nothing there to reassure me about recruitment, basically overachieve on under budget with ‘ lucky dips’, we all (supporters) could see the problems last season defensively but they thought we were ok.

I’m 20 mins in and not hearing that, basically out performing the playing budget is the aim.

nw6pie
17-04-2024, 08:08 PM
This was from Paul Mace’s X account:

Topics discussed on special
* Everyone 'embarrassed' by amount of goals conceded
* Recruitment modelling and metrics revealed
* Owners building a legacy at Notts
* Futures of Macca and Jodi discussed
* Season ticket prices revealed on April 29
* Aiming for sustainability as early as 2025-26
* Safe standing in the Kop potentially within 18 months
* Better first team pathway for Academy players
* Game-changing new revenues from 'The Nest'

Anyone else surprised the season tickets are being announced after the season ends? One interesting snippet on this story about Forest hiking season ticket prices (their most expensive is now a rather hefty £850) is that they have a waiting list of 11,000 for season tickets:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/68835277

keldsyke
17-04-2024, 08:09 PM
I’m 20 mins in and not hearing that, basically out performing the playing budget is the aim.

It’s basically the same thing

keldsyke
17-04-2024, 08:12 PM

Anyone else surprised the season tickets are being announced after the season ends? One interesting snippet on this story about Forest hiking season ticket prices (their most expensive is now a rather hefty £850) is that they have a waiting list of 11,000 for season tickets:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/68835277

I think I read the cheapest has gone up from £365 to £550 and some kids have gone up by 111%? I’m amazed at the 11,000 figure.

Old_pie
17-04-2024, 08:18 PM

To expand on some key points:

Early season (LW) Montague says the results exceeded our performance metrics.
To expand, the Recruitment starts with conversations between coaches and Montague.
Sustainable means for owners to not have to continue putting (as much) money in as other revenue streams come on line
January transfer targets difficult and some missed
Model is not fixed/cast in stone and is evolving
Aim is to start the next season more strongly

I hadn't really realised Mongague has been with the Bros/Football Radar for 12/13 years

I only hope I live long enough to see the Bros patient approach come to fruition, ie a successful League 1 team (3rd tier is our natural level) with the hopes of building to be a Championship club.

drillerpie
17-04-2024, 08:26 PM

They couldn't have made it clearer that they're not going to do a Wrexham, but it was also fairly obvious they are looking to upgrade the defence this summer.

matt_magpie
17-04-2024, 08:27 PM

Well it’s not is it?

Elite_Pie
17-04-2024, 08:50 PM
Anyone else surprised the season tickets are being announced after the season ends?

I am. I was just about to start a topic on when prices would be announced, because for years I've usually renewed by now.

I wonder if we're planning something radical like a big reduction? It worked brilliantly for Bradford City in terms of attendances when they cut prices by 50% a few years ago. Even next season an adult can watch 23 games there for £249 (less than £11 per game) which is great value compared to the rest. Unlike Forest and Stags we have more seats than fans, it would be the ideal time to take a gamble.

keldsyke
17-04-2024, 08:55 PM
Well it’s not is it?

Well it is whichever way you see it, (one man’s wine is one man’s poison) no one should overspend or risk the sustainability, I just wish we had a bit more realism from the recruiting. Regardless recruitment (defensively) for the past season and half has been piss poor to say the least, something is wrong, again to watch last nights defensive display not for tbe first time (more often than not) shows that we / the model have got it wrong, and there’s something wrong with the model / system. Oh for a Mark Ellis central type defender.

matt_magpie
17-04-2024, 09:10 PM
Well it is whichever way you see it, (one man’s wine is one man’s poison) no one should overspend or risk the sustainability, I just wish we had a bit more realism from the recruiting. Regardless recruitment (defensively) for the past season and half has been piss poor to say the least, something is wrong, again to watch last nights defensive display not for tbe first time (more often than not) shows that we / the model have got it wrong, and there’s something wrong with the model / system. Oh for a Mark Ellis central type defender.

You can argue last season it wasn’t as we had the 2nd best defence in the league with Wrexham behind us who spent a fortune on theirs. It’s easy to say in hindsight but we’ve literally let in already double the amount of goals this season which is a massive surprise to me. I expected us to let more in if we changed nothing but not double and I think the club probably thought the same.
No one gets recruitment right every season and the biggest crime is not this season but it will be next season if they don’t get it right now they know exactly the level/tactics they will be facing.

nw6pie
17-04-2024, 09:24 PM
I am. I was just about to start a topic on when prices would be announced, because for years I've usually renewed by now.

I wonder if we're planning something radical like a big reduction? It worked brilliantly for Bradford City in terms of attendances when they cut prices by 50% a few years ago. Even next season an adult can watch 23 games there for £249 (less than £11 per game) which is great value compared to the rest. Unlike Forest and Stags we have more seats than fans, it would be the ideal time to take a gamble.

I was kind of expecting the opposite - that we’ll have to increase prices a little next season. This is initial prices from last season:

Exclusive renewal prices for 2022/23 season ticket holders

Adult - £374 (Derek Pavis) and £299 (Kop and Family Stand)

65 & over - £224 (Derek Pavis) and £199 (Kop and Family Stand)

18-21 - £108 across all stands

Under 18 - £48.50 across all stands

Under 12 - £21.50 across all stands

Early bird 2023/24 season ticket prices

Adult - £399 (Derek Pavis) and £324 (Kop and Family Stand)

I’m just not sure there are enough potential season ticket holders out there for us to sell the amount of discounted tickets we’d need to make it worth our while. Eagerly awaiting the announcement, anyway.

Elite_Pie
17-04-2024, 09:35 PM
I’m just not sure there are enough potential season ticket holders out there for us to sell the amount of discounted tickets we’d need to make it worth our while.

I'm not sure either, which is why I described any reduced offer as a gamble. I just think that if ever we were to take the gamble, there won't be a better time than now. For the first time ever, our two close rivals will be saying "Sorry, sold out" to a lot of potential fans.

queenslandpie
17-04-2024, 09:53 PM

More through the gate but still in league 2. I am not sure worked brilliantly is an apt description mate. it is cheap though but as seen by their pitch you get what you pay for!

Ex_Southwell_Magpie
17-04-2024, 10:19 PM
You can argue last season it wasn’t as we had the 2nd best defence in the league with Wrexham behind us who spent a fortune

Not so. Bearing in mind we had over 70% possession in most games last season, we actually had the 2nd worst defence in the National League for time spent out of possession and defending. The warning signs were already there, and we only had to look at Stockport the previous year who ripped out their whole defence within the first few weeks of the season.

Elite_Pie
17-04-2024, 10:30 PM
I am not sure worked brilliantly is an apt description mate.

What I actually said is that it worked brilliantly for Bradford in terms of attendances.

When they first started the half price offer in 2007, they sold 12,000 season tickets alone when their average attendance before was only 8,000. This season they are averaging 15,500, pretty good for a team who have spent most of the season in the bottom half.

Bohinen
17-04-2024, 10:30 PM
You can argue last season it wasn’t as we had the 2nd best defence in the league with Wrexham behind us who spent a fortune on theirs. It’s easy to say in hindsight but we’ve literally let in already double the amount of goals this season which is a massive surprise to me. I expected us to let more in if we changed nothing but not double and I think the club probably thought the same.
No one gets recruitment right every season and the biggest crime is not this season but it will be next season if they don’t get it right now they know exactly the level/tactics they will be facing.

Foresight is always better than hindsight

MagicBoots
17-04-2024, 11:20 PM
What I actually said is that it worked brilliantly for Bradford in terms of attendances.

When they first started the half price offer in 2007, they sold 12,000 season tickets alone when their average attendance before was only 8,000. This season they are averaging 15,500, pretty good for a team who have spent most of the season in the bottom half.

It is a good model as more bums on seats means more sales in catering and more replica shirts and merchandise sold and importantly more atmosphere etc. Basically at the price they sell them for it’s worth buying even if you can only make half the games. Also having lived in Bradford for a while you can go in pubs beforehand and you meet fans whose first club is not even Bradford but who now live in the area and simply want to see a game and get a matchday experience. With Leeds being over £30 a pop it’s a big commitment so this option is a way to see a game on a Saturday with little outlay.

Would it work for us. Ask me that 5 years ago and I’d have said categorically not. Now though I’m not so certain. Our attendances are on a par with what we were getting in Championship (or whatever it was called then) so who knows and I agree - it might worth the gamble.

I personally don’t mind an increase if it means we can increase the playing budget, but let’s see what route they go down on 29th.

SwalePie
18-04-2024, 10:42 AM
A very interesting watch indeed. Good to get some more detail on, well, pretty much everything!

https://youtu.be/2sT4Ltfs6j0?si=91JOeGf4H89SxoKs

durhampie
18-04-2024, 11:07 AM
I wonder how many of those new season ticket holders will renew for next season ? After watching some of the dross this season..

Glad2BeAPie
18-04-2024, 11:41 AM
My 1st season Ticket this season and the cash is ready to renew as soon as details released

matt_magpie
18-04-2024, 12:01 PM
I wonder how many of those new season ticket holders will renew for next season ? After watching some of the dross this season..

Even though there have been bad games we all know it’s nowhere near what we’ve seen before, crowds haven’t even dropped that much of late with even nothing to play for and some bad results.
I think people will come next season, everyone can see the problems and I’m pretty sure the club will sort. Obviously CBs have been an issue but I do wonder what we are going to do at WB as that’s equally if not more an issue defensively or maybe we’ll go to a 4 at the back, who knows.

durhampie
18-04-2024, 12:23 PM
Even though there have been bad games we all know it’s nowhere near what we’ve seen before, crowds haven’t even dropped that much of late with even nothing to play for and some bad results.
I think people will come next season, everyone can see the problems and I’m pretty sure the club will sort. Obviously CBs have been an issue but I do wonder what we are going to do at WB as that’s equally if not more an issue defensively or maybe we’ll go to a 4 at the back, who knows.

The reason i ask is because, on Tues the amount of people who left the ground when the 3rd goal went in..

Elite_Pie
18-04-2024, 12:33 PM

At least it's been highly entertaining dross! Any ST holder who has been to all home games will have seen a staggering 92 goals. Compare that with a Gillingham ST holder who will have seen a measly 44 goals in the same number of games.

We are also on course to concede the most goals of any club in the division, yet end up with a positive goal difference! I'd be surprised if that has ever happened in the EFL before.

1955pie
18-04-2024, 12:36 PM

Can we rely on the figures though? When Notts played there a few weeks ago there were supposedly almost 18000 there. A few on here I remember were suggesting that the numbers were inflated (tickets sold not seats occupied)
Anyway back to ticket prices.
There wasn't much of an increase last year and inflation over the last couple of years has totalled around 17/18%. So personally, it wouldn't surprise me if prices go up by 8/9/10%. Considering what is happening over the river it doesn't seem too bad.
I would like to see the heavily discounted rates retained for the younger supporters and the under 25 band re-instated.

KeepTheMagpieFlyingH
18-04-2024, 12:51 PM

Walked out when the 2nd went in against Boreham Wood..walked out when the 4th went in Tuesday. I’ll be back Saturday against Colchester and next season regardless. The difference at Notts now is improvement is always around the corner with the owners..not necessarily the manager but always the owners.

Losing has a temporary feeling..apart from the Boreham wood game. I was nearly in tears at the thought of a never year in the NL.

durhampie
18-04-2024, 01:00 PM
Walked out when the 2nd went in against Boreham Wood..walked out when the 4th went in Tuesday. I’ll be back Saturday against Colchester and next season regardless. The difference at Notts now is improvement is always around the corner with the owners..not necessarily the manager but always the owners.

Losing has a temporary feeling..apart from the Boreham wood game. I was nearly in tears at the thought of a never year in the NL.

Lady luck was on our side that day, and also against Chesterfield...

matt_magpie
18-04-2024, 01:14 PM
The reason i ask is because, on Tues the amount of people who left the ground when the 3rd goal went in..

I think with it being a night game people leave early if it’s over, I even went on 88 mins and that’s a first for me.
It happened at Arsenal on Sunday, there was a mass exodus after Villa scored their second probably to get on the tubes as quickly as poss.

Chicken Balti Pie
18-04-2024, 02:40 PM
Lady luck was on our side that day, and also against Chesterfield...

Lady luck was not. Rodrigues should have had the game out of sight before their first. Other than a crazy first 10 mins at Wembley, we were all over them

WarsopPie
18-04-2024, 03:40 PM

I also think the club should allow fans to buy a season ticket where we can pay in monthly instalments over say 4 months to pay for it.
Mansfield did a similar scheme this season and it boosted there season ticket sales by just over another 2k fans.

1955pie
18-04-2024, 07:26 PM

Were they leaving the ground or going to the bar?

OldBanksy
18-04-2024, 07:32 PM
I also think the club should allow fans to buy a season ticket where we can pay in monthly instalments over say 4 months to pay for it.
Mansfield did a similar scheme this season and it boosted there season ticket sales by just over another 2k fans.
Good point. Get on fans forum.

queenslandpie
18-04-2024, 07:44 PM

Like I said more through the gate. But if its rubbish served up on the pitch and the pitch is rubbish you have to question the point in it.

durhampie
18-04-2024, 07:44 PM

Leaving the ground..

Notts78
18-04-2024, 07:49 PM

Bradford have an option to pay monthly for the year. Provides income even in the off season. They don’t even charge extra for this facility.

i961pie
19-04-2024, 04:52 AM
I think I read the cheapest has gone up from £365 to £550 and some kids have gone up by 111%? I’m amazed at the 11,000 figure.

I'm not surprised if you look at teams like WHU who got about 30,000 fans at Upton Park have now doubled that now the capacity is larger. If Forest had a new ground they would get a lot bigger crowd imo.

keldsyke
19-04-2024, 07:16 AM

I posted in the match thread you could see people leaving the ground at 50 minutes, although most would need a drink after watching that dross!

1955pie
19-04-2024, 07:48 AM
Bradford have an option to pay monthly for the year. Provides income even in the off season. They don’t even charge extra for this facility.

I suppose that means that those who pay up front are subsidising those who don’t. Especially if the monthly payers can just decide to stop paying whenever they want.
Monthly option is good but there should be a small extra fee in there.