PDA

View Full Version : FA Cup Replays

tommopie8
18-04-2024, 10:22 AM
Scrapped from round 1. Will help congestion for bigger clubs and will potentially ruin the money spinners for the likes of us and those further down the pyramid.

Disgusting.

Chicken Balti Pie
18-04-2024, 10:55 AM
I don't get how early round replays is any concern to the premier league? No replays, force them to play from round 1 and give non league sides a chance of a pay day earlier then

BigFatPie
18-04-2024, 11:15 AM
I don’t know why they don’t just scrap the cup competitions completely. Clearly an inconvenience for all concerned, full of reserve teams and one of the ‘big 6’ winning every time. I liked ITV and the BBC jointly covering the FA Cup and they’ve got rid of that to put it on TNT, a channel most people haven’t even got.

Beg the PL for the extra pennies to make up the loss of income for clubs like us.

Notts78
18-04-2024, 02:57 PM
Scrapped from round 1. Will help congestion for bigger clubs and will potentially ruin the money spinners for the likes of us and those further down the pyramid.

Disgusting.

Or a better chance of knocking out a so called big team? Remember that Man City game when we drew 1-1…. Who knows what would have happened in ET or a penalty shoot out.

LeftPeg_Pie
18-04-2024, 03:29 PM
Just another example of football being designed to aid the big clubs and forget the rest.

SmiffyPie
18-04-2024, 03:50 PM
Just another example of football being designed to aid the big clubs and forget the rest.All that history, all that tradition. The highlight of every season kicked into the long grass by the bloody Prem.

maddogslater
18-04-2024, 04:09 PM
Means very little now, something to fill a winters Saturday afternoon, haven't watched the cup final in years.

irishpete
18-04-2024, 04:52 PM
FA Cup became a joke when they started playing rounds in mid week. Bring back the good old days, Saturdays end of, an odd Sunday game

legs77
18-04-2024, 05:37 PM
Problem is most teams now dont care about it.

Take a team in top 8 in the championship they just bang the reserves in as an injury to a key man scuppers the chance of big money ie PL.

Newcastle under Ashley used to as well they knew they wouldnt win it so "rested" players and 17th every year was good.

Owners/business people want the ££££ fans want both but mainly the glory.....You see some fans say WE get £200m staying in the league you have to laugh at the word WE as a fan ive never received anything !

upthemaggies
18-04-2024, 05:41 PM
If FA Cup replays are never to return then Notts' last replay will go down in history as a 1-2 defeat to Rochdale at home on Tuesday 16th November 2021, our last replay goal being an OG.
Frank Vincent was the last Notts player to score in a FAC replay, that being in the earlier 2021/22 round v Tamworth which was won 4-0.

Our first ever FA Cup tie in 1877 went to a replay, knocked out at Sheffield after a 1-1 at Trent Bridge.

After a Meadow Lane replay v Bury in 1970 we didn't draw an away tie to force a home replay again until 1997 v Preston..

irishpete
18-04-2024, 05:45 PM
I remember manure pulling out one year. Should have been kicked out for good, all domestic competitions

legs77
18-04-2024, 05:50 PM
I remember manure pulling out one year. Should have been kicked out for good, all domestic competitions

In fairness they had no choice that year as I think they were in world cup competition in Japan or wherever at the time.

Same happened to Liverpool 4/5 years ago in league cup they played world club championship too and day before had a QF against Villa lost 5-0 as put out the kids.

The people at the top are to blame nobody wants to give away a slice of the cake....PL,UEFA,FIFA,National Teams its all greed.

Notts78
18-04-2024, 05:52 PM
Problem is most teams now dont care about it.

Take a team in top 8 in the championship they just bang the reserves in as an injury to a key man scuppers the chance of big money ie PL.

Newcastle under Ashley used to as well they knew they wouldnt win it so "rested" players and 17th every year was good.

Owners/business people want the ££££ fans want both but mainly the glory.....You see some fans say WE get £200m staying in the league you have to laugh at the word WE as a fan ive never received anything !

It’s easy for us to moan. Haven’t we as a club rested players for FA Cup games?

legs77
18-04-2024, 05:53 PM

Exactly.

I was not in the slightest arsed when LW did it last season as all that mattered was getting out the NL.

Elite_Pie
18-04-2024, 07:17 PM
All that history, all that tradition. The highlight of every season kicked into the long grass by the bloody Prem.

Exactly. History and tradition counts for nothing, the Premier League is the new god and must be obeyed. No country in the world can match our passion for the game at lower levels, and last season five clubs at Level 5 averaged over 6,000. I've become a fan of a Portuguese club who now play in their Primeira Liga, and I've been to three games there. Their ground has a capacity of 5,000 and it only sells out if they play Benfica, Porto or Sporting Lisbon. I've been there when the crowd for a Portuguese top level game attracted a crowd of 2,000 with 47 away fans! We should cherish what we have created and do all we can to preserve it, instead we're kissing the arse of the big clubs.

Elite_Pie
18-04-2024, 07:22 PM

We have, and I totally disagreed with it. It was one of the only times I criticised Luke Williams.

The Pisspot Trophy is another thing, because it was an attempt to get Premiership U-23 teams in the EFL. If it was allowed I would have supported a decision to play the entire youth team.

Elite_Pie
18-04-2024, 08:34 PM
A brilliant statement from Tranmere Rovers over this decision:

Tranmere Rovers condemn the disgraceful decision taken by The FA and the Premier League to change the format of the FA Cup, including the scrapping of replays.

There was no consultation with Football League clubs, National League clubs or grassroots clubs to whom the competition represents not only their best opportunity to create life-long memories for supporters but also a hugely important source of income. We also understand that FA Council members were not consulted about the changes.

The decision, and the way it was taken, demonstrate a total lack of respect for the football pyramid and its fans. Football belongs to all of us and decisions should not be taken in back room deals in which only the very wealthiest clubs are allowed to participate. It is yet another eloquent example of the 19th-century governance that means that football simply cannot regulate itself and needs the Independent Football Regulator to have real teeth.

We condemn the changes wholeheartedly and urge The FA to suspend them immediately until all stakeholders in the game are properly consulted.

This should be repeated by every club outside the Greed League.

uysapie
18-04-2024, 08:42 PM

Tranmere Rovers condemn the disgraceful decision taken by The FA and the Premier League to change the format of the FA Cup, including the scrapping of replays.

There was no consultation with Football League clubs, National League clubs or grassroots clubs to whom the competition represents not only their best opportunity to create life-long memories for supporters but also a hugely important source of income. We also understand that FA Council members were not consulted about the changes.

The decision, and the way it was taken, demonstrate a total lack of respect for the football pyramid and its fans. Football belongs to all of us and decisions should not be taken in back room deals in which only the very wealthiest clubs are allowed to participate. It is yet another eloquent example of the 19th-century governance that means that football simply cannot regulate itself and needs the Independent Football Regulator to have real teeth.

We condemn the changes wholeheartedly and urge The FA to suspend them immediately until all stakeholders in the game are properly consulted.

The lack of consultation stinks.

LeftPeg_Pie
18-04-2024, 08:46 PM

This is superb. Big fan of this too;

"Seven hundred and twenty-nine teams compete in the FA Cup. Why is its format being dictated by the Premier League who represent circa [about] 3% of them? Protest is needed!" Palios added.

uysapie
18-04-2024, 08:48 PM
Grimsby Town statement

https://gtfc.co.uk/club-statement-changes-to-the-fa-cup/

All clubs need to do this

BigFatPie
18-04-2024, 08:51 PM
Agree that it’s wrong that this decision has been made unilaterally by the PL and FA, but no one really cares about any cup competition anymore. Luke Williams’ attitude tends to suggest our owners think the same.

tommopie8
18-04-2024, 09:12 PM
Agree that it’s wrong that this decision has been made unilaterally by the PL and FA, but no one really cares about any cup competition anymore. Luke Williams’ attitude tends to suggest our owners think the same.

Just a thought but no longer will there be a second round game between a L2 side and a VNL side where they know the prize is a trip to Man United away.

Just another example of them *******ising the game to suit the silver spooned spoiled children.
Doing away with replays for a final where people want to see their team lift a trophy is one thing but what on earth has 1st and 2nd round got to do with these arrogant ****ers?

Use the LW example but it was unique - big fish, small pond and small squad. I'm sure if the brothers had a potential away tie at Tottenham awaiting in this league the attitude would be different.

matt_magpie
18-04-2024, 09:16 PM
I don’t know why they don’t just scrap the cup competitions completely. Clearly an inconvenience for all concerned, full of reserve teams and one of the ‘big 6’ winning every time. I liked ITV and the BBC jointly covering the FA Cup and they’ve got rid of that to put it on TNT, a channel most people haven’t even got.

Beg the PL for the extra pennies to make up the loss of income for clubs like us.

The premier league has suppose to been giving 5% to the the leagues below for the last few years and still not, so no chance of that.

BigFatPie
18-04-2024, 09:26 PM
Just a thought but no longer will there be a second round game between a L2 side and a VNL side where they know the prize is a trip to Man United away.

Just another example of them *******ising the game to suit the silver spooned spoiled children.
Doing away with replays for a final where people want to see their team lift a trophy is one thing but what on earth has 1st and 2nd round got to do with these arrogant ****ers?

Use the LW example but it was unique - big fish, small pond and small squad. I'm sure if the brothers had a potential away tie at Tottenham awaiting in this league the attitude would be different.

If we happened to stumble upon a replay at Spurs than yes I’m sure we’d play our strongest XI and we’d drone on about the magic of the cup but it would be hollow words for me if we’d made 7 changes in the first round against King’s Lynn or someone.

The actual fight that should have been had was booting out the big 6 teams when they were talking about the ESL, those f00kers should have been made to pay a heavy price for that but they weren’t and now here we’re are. Maybe it’ll change when Man City actually have to answer to those 115 charges or however many they are.

Chicken Balti Pie
18-04-2024, 09:35 PM
If we happened to stumble upon a replay at Spurs than yes I’m sure we’d play our strongest XI and we’d drone on about the magic of the cup but it would be hollow words for me if we’d made 7 changes in the first round against King’s Lynn or someone.

The actual fight that should have been had was booting out the big 6 teams when they were talking about the ESL, those f00kers should have been made to pay a heavy price for that but they weren’t and now here we’re are. Maybe it’ll change when Man City actually have to answer to those 115 charges or however many they are.

If the premier league don't want to play ball, scrap promotion to the premier league. Make it a closed shop, no one will spend billions on TV rights to see Crystal Palace v Wolves if nothing is on the line, once the product starts to wain, negotiate in a position of power as the rest of the prem will want to rejoin the EFL once they are reduced to making up the numbers. Kick them out of the EFL Cup and EFL Trophy and ban them from signing youth players from EFL academies with that stupid deal we get. Time to realise the EFL is highly watched in its own right

Elite_Pie
18-04-2024, 09:51 PM
Agree that it’s wrong that this decision has been made unilaterally by the PL and FA, but no one really cares about any cup competition anymore.

That's not true, I care for one. I've attended all home games in the FA Cup, League Cup, and FA Trophy.

The only cup competition I don't care about is the Pisspot Trophy, and I even attended that until it was hijacked by the Premiership clubs.

legs77
18-04-2024, 09:54 PM
That's not true, I care for one. I've attended all home games in the FA Cup, League Cup, and FA Trophy.

The only cup competition I don't care about is the Pisspot Trophy, and I even attended that until it was hijacked by the Premiership clubs.

You are a fan he might be speaking of clubs in general.

The whole game is greed now and you could argue politics too with UAE City and Saudi United in the PL.

BigFatPie
18-04-2024, 10:20 PM

You went but how much did you care about them in comparison with the league games? Fair enough if you can answer ‘the same’ but I imagine you’re the exception.

B teams in the EFL trophy are a far bigger disgrace than no replays imo. Absolutely intended as a back door into the pyramid and the reason I would never attend any game in that competition even if we did somehow make it to Wembley.

Elite_Pie
18-04-2024, 10:43 PM
You went but how much did you care about them in comparison with the league games? Fair enough if you can answer ‘the same’ but I imagine you’re the exception.

I certainly couldn't answer 'the same'! Three points in league the would nearly always be more important than a cup win, but I always wanted to win the cup games and was gutted when we lost. Especially against bloody Hornchurch!

B teams in the EFL trophy are a far bigger disgrace than no replays imo. Absolutely intended as a back door into the pyramid and the reason I would never attend any game in that competition even if we did somehow make it to Wembley.

Fully agree, ever since that competition was polluted I've never attended a game and hoped we would exit it at the earliest opportunity.

durhampie
18-04-2024, 11:00 PM

And so do i, Ive gone to every cup game home and away, inc the piss pot trophy. Lower league clubs need to boycott the competition, because without them its pointless.. The FA dont give a shyte about anyone, other than the premier league..

since41
19-04-2024, 02:21 AM
The FA and Premier League aren' overly concerned about British and Irish fans it's the worldwide audience where the most money is generated.

SmiffyPie
19-04-2024, 02:15 PM
"As the world's oldest professional football club, and past winners of the FA Cup, we're very sad to see that English football is set to lose a part of its soul," League Two club Notts County said in a statement."
From the BBC Sports page.
EFL are also saying it was decided solely between the FA and Prem.

Pietastic
19-04-2024, 02:56 PM
Stupidest decision. Lots of people care about the FA Cup and it can add such magic - especially for smaller clubs. It's the one time the rich and the poorer rub shoulders and it's down to 11 - 11 (plus I suppose millions and millions of pounds). Although it's been a long time since we had a run - when we do (and the same for any other club) it can be complete football magic.

legs77
19-04-2024, 03:44 PM
Stupidest decision. Lots of people care about the FA Cup and it can add such magic - especially for smaller clubs. It's the one time the rich and the poorer rub shoulders and it's down to 11 - 11 (plus I suppose millions and millions of pounds). Although it's been a long time since we had a run - when we do (and the same for any other club) it can be complete football magic.

That can still happen if you get to the 3rd/4th rounds though.

I have felt for years now cup games should finish on the day.

They could have replays I guess to 3rd round maybe even include that.

FA should think about offering lower league teams LG1 and below the choice of home/away game if you get Utd/Liverpool.

The prize money could be shared equally amongst teams in that round.

Move semi finals from Wembley and put the final back last game on Saturday with 3pm kick off like it used to be.

I say all that but the top level English football is ran by overseas investors now...its a matter of time before league cup final is overseas and within 10-15 years some PL games will be in Midde East & USA.

Elite_Pie
19-04-2024, 06:08 PM
"As the world's oldest professional football club, and past winners of the FA Cup, we're very sad to see that English football is set to lose a part of its soul," League Two club Notts County said in a statement."
From the BBC Sports page.
EFL are also saying it was decided solely between the FA and Prem.

I'm glad we've voiced our opposition, but the fake Luke Williams summarises why it's happened perfectly:

Manchester City boss Pep Guardiola agreed the changes are a "problem" for lower-division clubs, but said it was "much better" for teams playing in European competitions. "I understand why clubs in lower divisions complain and it has been a tradition for many years, but with the schedule that we have playing in European competition and with many players going to the national team, it is much better," Guardiola said.

In other words, f*ck the small clubs, it's all about us.