+ Visit Barnsley FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Old Yugoslavia

The Old Yugoslavia

Got me thinking about North Macedonia progressing at Italy's expense and the other nations that were once part of the old Yugoslavia .

Croatia have made a world cup final and a semi .

Serbia have qualified in the recent past for major competitions .

Bosnia have too and so have Kosovo I believe .

North Macedonia were at the last euros and have beaten Germany and last night Italy in world cup competition .

But as Yugoslavia they didn't really do anything .

My theory is your heart is where your personal flag is and no politician for what ever reason is going to change that and long may it continue .

Whatever guise you put on yugoslavia , Czechs, the one thing that strikes through for me is they are Very talented , Skilful, and adaptable players capable of playing anywhere in the World , good work ethic and genuinley nice people , amazed they havent achieved more ? Only a matter of time ?

Quote Originally Posted by Romared View Post
    Whatever guise you put on yugoslavia , Czechs, the one thing that strikes through for me is they are Very talented , Skilful, and adaptable players capable of playing anywhere in the World , good work ethic and genuinley nice people , amazed they havent achieved more ? Only a matter of time ?
    What I'm saying is that if the home nations were to fall under one flag and compete as GB we'd have less success now than what we've ever seen .

Which is precisely why Yugoslavia didn't do anything either .

Let's imagine Ukrainians having to play for the Soviet Union in 10 years time , it's not really going to work is it .

I see thi point Animal. Yugoslavia was a nation for 74 years after WW1 till the split in 1992. No doubt that part of the world is a footballing hot bed producing some phenomenal talent.

Croatia first caught my eye at Euro96. Some brilliant players like Boban, Jarni, Prozineki, Boksic and my favourite Davor Suker who was truly wonderful to watch. That side had more talent and finesse than the side that reached the 2018 world cup final imo. What an amazing football nation for it's size

Not sure I agree with that Animal, they had a decent team around the 60s and had a good U21 side before the country broke up

Quote Originally Posted by animallittle3 View Post
    What I'm saying is that if the home nations were to fall under one flag and compete as GB we'd have less success now than what we've ever seen .

Which is precisely why Yugoslavia didn't do anything either .

Let's imagine Ukrainians having to play for the Soviet Union in 10 years time , it's not really going to work is it .
    Oh I don’t know about that.
    Maybe SOME of the Catholic contingent in Northern Ireland and Glasgow wouldn’t want it - but other than that I think all players would welcome playing under the Union Jack.
    Would be a reight team if it ever happened.
    Not so much now because the better players come from England.
    But looking back not long ago Gareth Bale would have made a good addition.
    And further back Dalgleish, Rush, Bremner, McQueen, Toshack, Jennings, Best, Giggs.

Yugoslavia's Record at Major Tournaments

World Cup

1934 - Did not qualify
    1938 - Did not qualify
    1950 - Group stage
    1954 - Quarter final
    1958 - Quarter final
    1962 - Fourth place
    1966 - Did not qualify
    1970 - Did not qualify
    1974 - Group stage
    1978 - Did not qualify
    1982 - Group stage
    1986 - Did not qualify
    1990 - Quarter final

If the country hasn't broken up following the quarter final appearance at Italia 90 my theory may not be quite right as ESR eluded to with some really talented young players coming through , I guess we'll never know .

However their overall record in world cups is pretty average given the size of the nation and the pool of talent that was available in my opinion .

Yugoslavia's Record at the Euros .

1960 - Runners up
    1964 - Did not qualify
    1968 - Runners up
    1972 - Did not qualify
    1976 - Did not qualify
    1980 - Did not qualify
    1984 - Group stage
    1988 - Did not qualify

Some early success in the 60's but we have to remember the tournament was in its infancy back then and nothing like the tournament we see today .

Very poor really .

Quote Originally Posted by Young_Nudger View Post
    Oh I don’t know about that.
    Maybe SOME of the Catholic contingent in Northern Ireland and Glasgow wouldn’t want it - but other than that I think all players would welcome playing under the Union Jack.
    Would be a reight team if it ever happened.
    Not so much now because the better players come from England.
    But looking back not long ago Gareth Bale would have made a good addition.
    And further back Dalgleish, Rush, Bremner, McQueen, Toshack, Jennings, Best, Giggs.
    Your not looking at my opinion the right way YN .

These islands are unique , we've never competed as GB on the international stage other than the London Olympics and some way back when and what's more we never will and rightly so .

Yugoslavia was created by politicians with sportsman forced to compete as a country many did not recognise .

Would Gareth Bale play for GB with the same enthusiasm he does for Wales , I'm not so sure he would personally .

The end of the three lions for me would be a catastrophe , I'm English first and foremost just as Luka Modric is Croatian and not a Yugoslav .

Croatia as Croatia has competed way way better at Major Tournaments than Yugoslavia ever did and almost did it from the outset when it gained independence in the 90's .

They reached the semi final in their very first world cup in France in 1998 , a game Yugoslavia never experienced .

Quote Originally Posted by animallittle3 View Post
    Your not looking at my opinion the right way YN .

These islands are unique , we've never competed as GB on the international stage other than the London Olympics and some way back when and what's more we never will and rightly so .

Yugoslavia was created by politicians with sportsman forced to compete as a country many did not recognise .

Would Gareth Bale play for GB with the same enthusiasm he does for Wales , I'm not so sure he would personally .

The end of the three lions for me would be a catastrophe , I'm English first and foremost just as Luka Modric is Croatian and not a Yugoslav .

Croatia as Croatia has competed way way better at Major Tournaments than Yugoslavia ever did and almost did it from the outset when it gained independence in the 90's .

They reached the semi final in their very first world cup in France in 1998 , a game Yugoslavia never experienced .
    Oh right - I see what you mean now.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast