+ Visit Newcastle United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Do Newcastle have a wage cap?

Do Newcastle have a wage cap?

According to various sources it appears Newcastle have some kind of wage cap.
    I don't know if it's true or not but regardless of that, what I'd like to know is, if it's reported to be £70,000 a week, would you be in favour of it or would you expect it to be broken in order to get a player signed?

The reason I'm asking this is, it seems that Watford baulked at Kieran Gibbs' demands for £80,000 a week and we appeared to baulk at something similar with Lucas Perez and Gibbs.

Obviously I don't know how much truth is in it all but would it be in our interests to break a wage cap
    for any player, let alone the two mentioned, assuming we do have one in place?

My personal opinion would be to stick to a wage cap if we do have one, because it at least gives us a fighting chance of keeping mercenaries at bay but the flip side to that is in keeping higher quality away.

If we had a Sheikh as owner I wouldn't care less to be fair, but seeing as we are being run in house then it appears to be extremely logical to cap the wages.

What does anyone think?

I´d be in favour of a total wages paid to players at the club cap, but not one for individual players.

Quote Originally Posted by toptoon View Post
    I´d be in favour of a total wages paid to players at the club cap, but not one for individual players.
    You mean like an overall set annual squad amount which can be divided up as seen fit in various amounts for each player depending on their stance, whilst making sure not to go over the designated set bulk amount?

Wage caps will always be broken

its if the club want to breakl it for a player

we have players here who shouldnt be on what they are

it always unsettles the dressing room as well

i think all clubs should have a wage cap and only have a couple of players on certain wages

i think there is a sport where you can only spend so much on wages whoever you are .this makes it all equal for all teams

Spurs appear to have a wage cap as exposed by Rose a few weeks back.

Quote Originally Posted by sherwoodmag View Post
    Spurs appear to have a wage cap as exposed by Rose a few weeks back.
    Think his (in my opinion very ungrateful and arrogant) outburst had a lot to do with the fact that at other clubs he could get more for a player with his ability, not because of wage caps but because Spurs simply can't pay those wages.

If Harry Kane or Dele Alli moved to say Man Utd they'd get three times what they're on at Spurs.

Quote Originally Posted by ghostrider View Post
    You mean like an overall set annual squad amount which can be divided up as seen fit in various amounts for each player depending on their stance, whilst making sure not to go over the designated set bulk amount?
    Yes. If you get the chance to sign a "Shearer" type player then you´d be a fool not to get him because of a wage cap. You need some flexibility.
    Having said that it´s important to control the wage bill at most clubs.

For me, a more pressing issue would be the introduction of performance-related pay.

I know that's not a simple-to-implement solution but it would certainly mean we might not be lumbered with players sitting on huge basic wages refusing to move.

Quote Originally Posted by Zippity View Post
    For me, a more pressing issue would be the introduction of performance-related pay.

I know that's not a simple-to-implement solution but it would certainly mean we might not be lumbered with players sitting on huge basic wages refusing to move.
    I know what´ll happen to me if I don´t perform in my job. Why should it be different for footballers who earn a hell of a lot more than I ever will?

I'm not sure if we have a cap for individual players

but it appears/was stated somewhere - that one of Justin's whatever he is called , jobs was to make sure the wages didn't rise above a set percentage of the turnover, so there is definitely a "whole club" cap, there may be an individual one as well - I couldn't say

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)