+ Visit Barnsley FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Easter memories for the Tykes

Easter memories for the Tykes

I'm sure we've all got good and bad memories of the reds in the annual easter weekend. How many times for example did we win both or lose both of the games.

1997, we beat West Brom at home in the Sky live game on Friday evening. And then we win away at Reading as well on the Monday. And it was promotion here we come!.

2014, and it was two awful performances and defeats at home to Leeds and away to Derby. And it was relegation here we come!.

Come on then, share your Easter memories.

Did we beat Luton away live on Sky one Easter to spoil their promotion party? Michael Chopra scored I think, and missed a penalty

Quote Originally Posted by Nozzer1953 View Post
    Did we beat Luton away live on Sky one Easter to spoil their promotion party? Michael Chopra scored I think, and missed a penalty
    Yes I think we did in '05 maybe, back in the days when we always won there at that hole of a ground/place.

Animal, I remember you've mentioned a win away at Stoke in '87, which went a long way towards up staying up.

Who remembers '91, when we led 0-2 at the leaders West Ham, but they hit back to beat us 3-2 on their way to promotion.

The Reading away game on easter bank holiday monday in 1997 was one of the great away days .

24 years ago to the day ironically .

It was also a red hot day to add to the irony .

We travelled down with the Rising Sun , early which isn't unsurprising if you knew the Rising Sun away trips .

We were in a village with numerous pubs just outside Reading at 11am .

We had a good win that day on our way to the Premier League with two Andy Liddell goals in front of a huge tarn following , easily 3k .

Funny thing is the abiding memories that day weren't football related .

With a good few reds inside the Reading village pub tenners and fivers were placed in a bottled collection on the bar for a little girl the locals were raising because she had a rare cancer .

The locals were stunned by the generosity .

It's what we do .

Hey it was on this day 22 years ago (in 1999), an Easter good Friday, on April 2nd.
    I went to the Sheffield Arena to watch the WWF wrestling, and then the following day I was there at Oakwell to see us hammer the Blunts lol, thanks to two from Craig Hignett.
    But any Play off chance we might have had, was blown away at Port Vale on Easter Monday.

Aye that 96/97 easter weekend wo brill. We won both games and Wolves dropped points which put us in pole position to grab that 2nd oil.

A bad one wo losing at Grimsby in the 94/95 season at Easter, cost us a play off spot imo. They scored with a back heel/flick early on and it just weren't our day. Bus brock darn on the M180 on way back anorl to top it off, bleeding Hoggies!

I remember going to Grimsby early 80s.Red hot day,we lost & the special was late getting us away.

Got back windscreen smashed that day , caught em an we brayed a few , all got arrested

Quote Originally Posted by pass_and_move View Post
    ... A bad one wo losing at Grimsby in the 94/95 season at Easter, cost us a play off spot imo. They scored with a back heel/flick early on and it just weren't our day. Bus brock darn on the M180 on way back anorl to top it off, bleeding Hoggies!
    Yes that was a shocker Pass, on that easter Monday away at crappy Grimsby, in 1995. We never quite recovered from it that season did we, in our Play off push.

And speaking of easter Monday Play off pushes, who remembers us doing well in 1989, when we beat Sunderland 3-0.