+ Visit Birmingham City FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best Blues players of my days - RIGHT BACK.

Best Blues players of my days - RIGHT BACK.

Brian Farmer was the resident holder of this position when I started out. Perhaps, before I go further on this journey, it might be worth explaining my credit and debit marking system. These things are always very subjective but, although different positions require their own particular skill set, I look for the following attributes in a player:
    a) he must give 100% effort;
    b) in possession he needs to know intuitively where his team mates are, or at least look up, so that he can pick a Blue one or have an attempt on goal;
    c) he should be unselfish and always be a TEAM player;
    d) you look for flair, like a thirsty man seeks water when surrounded by nothing but desert;
    e) the one above flair is to perform the sublime, when footballers become creative artists and raise the game to a level reserved only for the geniuses of this world. Two immediately come to mind.
    Okay then back to the subject. Stan 'the wham' Lynn joined us from Villa, as did many good players from Villa over those earl

re: Best Blues players of my days - RIGHT BACK.

I was four or five years too late for Jeff Hall - but my eldest brother says he was the best ever. I was a big Stan Lynn fan - when he stepped up to take a penalty you almost felt sorry for the opposition goalie, he hit them that hard. I wish you hadn't reminded me about Cammie Fraser though - you're right, he was absolutely useless.

Wasn't Spector playing right back when he played that suicidal back pass to Doyle against Maribor? That has to rank as one of the most ludicrous goals of all time - right up there with the time Gary Sprake threw the ball into his own net.

You're right about Carr: he was supposed to be past it when he came out of retirement - but he was a revelation!

has to be Carr really; although Melchiot was pretty accomplished although he always looked as if wasn't trying too hard.

Spion I am surprised you didn't mention Stephen Kelly; I remember you as the president of teh SK Fan Club?

I always had a soft sot for Jim Hagan, a very honest player.

the problem with the defensive and midfield positions is we are going to have decide where Malcolm Page shoudl go.

aKK Stephen Kelly is in my ramblings and rated very highly. Did you speed read my dissertation and somehow miss it? And yes I am the cheerleader, president and chairman of the Stephen Kelly fan club.
    Rg

Sorry Spion I must abandon speed reading.

One we haven't mentioned is David Langan; a very accomplished player but needless to say we purchased him once he was half crippled.

So (1) Carr (2) Kenna (3) Langan (4) Melchiot (5) Kelly

I agree with your ratings aKK. At the end of this exercise I hope that I can incorporate the views of everyone and produce our best team ever from the rankings given. I seriously slipped up in the goalkeeping department, by omitting Foster, and think that Bolt's rating are top notch.
    Rg

Well Stan Lynn (see avatar) has to be my favorite at the time and Stevie Carr of late. One other I'd mention is Bert Murray who came as a winger and became one of the first "wing backs". Great player.

probably

Carr, Hall, Kenna, Lanagan

did Mark Dennis play there some times not sure

also we must remember Paul Caddis who was excellent

It occurred to me that Ireland must have had a great defence a few years back with Carr & Kenna on the flanks and Cunningham in the middle - that is assuming the other CB was half decent!

Thank you for your kind words SK. I suspect we are all influenced to a great extent by those players who we first saw in a Blue shirt, which is why I find it hard to see past Gil Merrick in goal and the incomparable Jeff Hall at right-back. Hall and Byrne were the England full-back pairing for many years until polio took one and Munich the other. I loved Stan Lynn, despite his coming to us from the dark side (for £2500!!!)and his thunderous shot was a joy to behold - unless you happened to be on the receiving end - and in later years, of course, Steven Carr became a legend. But Hall for me.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)