+ Visit Dundee FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 50 years ago today - 3rd November 1971

50 years ago today - 3rd November 1971

50 years ago today on Wednesday 3rd November 1971 we played FC Cologne in the UEFA Cup.
    With 30 minutes to go we were losing 4-2 on aggregate and it looked like our run in the UEFA Cup was over.
    However those present in Dens Park that evening witnessed possibly the greatest fight back in Dundee Football Club’s history where we scored three goals in the last thirty minutes roared on by all the Dundee fans in Dens Park to win the tie 5-4 on aggregate.
    That was a great time to be a Dundee supporter.

Quote Originally Posted by islaydarkblue View Post
    50 years ago today on Wednesday 3rd November 1971 we played FC Cologne in the UEFA Cup.
    With 30 minutes to go we were losing 4-2 on aggregate and it looked like our run in the UEFA Cup was over.
    However those present in Dens Park that evening witnessed possibly the greatest fight back in Dundee Football Club’s history where we scored three goals in the last thirty minutes roared on by all the Dundee fans in Dens Park to win the tie 5-4 on aggregate.
    Although on planet earth by that time just a bit young for the football, first game would come 2 year later.

Curious, as I like to collect these random recollections......what end of the ground were you in?

Fantastic night, my favourite night under the Dens floodlights. I was in the Derry down by the wall at the front just about in line with the edge of the box

Quote Originally Posted by Returnofrros View Post
    Although on planet earth by that time just a bit young for the football, first game would come 2 year later.

Curious, as I like to collect these random recollections......what end of the ground were you in?
    I was in the South Enclosure.

You certainly missed a great game.
    It would be interesting to know if the same thing happened nowadays would a lot of Dundee supporters left Dens Park after Cologne scored their second goal on the night to lead 4-2 on aggregate.
    Fortunately in 1971 that did not happen and they got behind the Dundee players resulting in the fantastic scenes at the end of the game after we scored the winning goal in the 89th minute.

I know you didn’t ask me , but seems you’re interested , I was stood under the floodlights in the provie nearest dens rd
    When I’m sitting in my seat in the Bobby Cox I still see exactly where I was standing

It was even more remarkable than you remember John Duncan scored dundees second in71 mins , just 19 mins to go
    https://www.deearchive.co.uk/matchdetails.php?id=3131

Quote Originally Posted by notso View Post
    It was even more remarkable than you remember John Duncan scored dundees second in71 mins , just 19 mins to go
    https://www.deearchive.co.uk/matchdetails.php?id=3131
    John Duncan scored a hat trick in this game but I do not know if he got to keep the match ball back then.
    I can remember the game vividly.
    After John Duncan scored with 19 minutes to go there were wave after wave of Dundee attacks culminating in Bobby Wilson scoring the winner in the 89th minute.
    I feel sorry for all the ‘young’ posters on this forum who were unable to attend this game.

I was fortunate to be there behind the goal at the TC Keay end. Unbelievable. The last ten minutes were simply unforgettable. They had German World Cup players in their team, one of which as I recall was in tears at the end.
    Last edited by parcbara; 03-11-2021 at 01:41 PM.

You certainly missed a great game.
    It would be interesting to know if the same thing happened nowadays would a lot of Dundee supporters left Dens Park after Cologne scored their second goal on the night to lead 4-2 on aggregate.
    Fortunately in 1971 that did not happen and they got behind the Dundee players resulting in the fantastic scenes at the end of the game after we scored the winning goal in the 89th minute.
    Moreso due to it being the first season where away goals decided who went through in the event of a draw. At 4-2 down on aggregate scoring two would still have had us out on away goals. The three goals in the last 20 minutes was therefore more remarkable, the last minute winner put us through without it we were out!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)