+ Visit West Bromwich Albion FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Players losing their mojo

Players losing their mojo

It was very gratifying to see Diangana playing well yesterday. For about 18 months he could hardly control the ball, pass it or shoot it. For some reason he just lost his mojo and was a bit of a waste of space. But he had it back yesterday. He was back to going past defenders like they were not there and he took his goal sublimely. He may now just be the creative attacking midfielder we so badly need and paid all that money for. But it also made me think about all the good players over the years that lost their mojo and how much money you could make as a trainer or manager or psychologist or whatever if you could figure out a guaranteed method to get a players mojo back.
    I am thinking of Christian Benteke: brilliant at villa, crap everywhere else; Torres: brilliant at Liverpool, not much better than the mascot at Chelsea; David Mills: somehow never managed to repeat his Middlesborough form with us; greasy jack is not half the player he was at villa. All these players didnt seem to give up, and its not as if they were overwhelmed by a move to a higher league or anything. They just lost their mojo. Can anyone think of any other examples?

If (and it's a big IF) he can carry that form until the end of the season it will be like signing a new player in the Jan window as he has been useless to date.

I love the bloke, but since putting pen to paper to that 5 year deal he has been c rap. Let's hope at the end the season his great form takes us to promotion and we can see him celebrate with us on the pitch instead of the east stand carpark.

Quote Originally Posted by Calgarybaggy View Post
    It was very gratifying to see Diangana playing well yesterday. For about 18 months he could hardly control the ball, pass it or shoot it. For some reason he just lost his mojo and was a bit of a waste of space. But he had it back yesterday. He was back to going past defenders like they were not there and he took his goal sublimely. He may now just be the creative attacking midfielder we so badly need and paid all that money for. But it also made me think about all the good players over the years that lost their mojo and how much money you could make as a trainer or manager or psychologist or whatever if you could figure out a guaranteed method to get a players mojo back.
    I am thinking of Christian Benteke: brilliant at villa, crap everywhere else; Torres: brilliant at Liverpool, not much better than the mascot at Chelsea; David Mills: somehow never managed to repeat his Middlesborough form with us; greasy jack is not half the player he was at villa. All these players didnt seem to give up, and its not as if they were overwhelmed by a move to a higher league or anything. They just lost their mojo. Can anyone think of any other examples?
    Lukaku last season with Inter, Lukaku this season with Chelski.

I remember us signing John Deehan from Villa, he had a very good record for scoring ( 40 in 110 top flight matches ) and he was only 22 when we got him.

He was dire for us and only managed 5 goals in 47 bloody games.

Moved on to Norwich and although I believe he also played quite a lot for them at centre half he scored 62 in 162.

So an average of well under a goal every 3 games for the two other clubs he played for at the highest level yet 1 in every 9.4 matches for us.

We have a history of wrecking proven strikers, very few prosper at B71.

Why???

In the modern game money and wages have left many players under performing. To much to play football. Too much money not to play...

In the past....tackles could leave a player badly injured. Heavy pitches were another thing. Players always expected the unexpected in a game... Not today

Campbell , Fortune , Moore , Anichebe , Zohore , Huggill And plenty more Mick yep history of them

Quote Originally Posted by TheMooreTheBednar View Post
    Campbell , Fortune , Moore , Anichebe , Zohore , Huggill And plenty more Mick yep history of them
    Fortune was a decent player.

Quote Originally Posted by TheMooreTheBednar View Post
    I don't think Hugill had a Mojo to begin with.

Quote Originally Posted by WBA1955 View Post
    I don't think Hugill had a Mojo to begin with.
    😀 😀 Don't think many will disagree!

Quote Originally Posted by boingy View Post
    Fortune was a decent player.
    Yes he was mate.......MAF was a terrific “hold up” player who created room for others.

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)