+ Visit West Bromwich Albion FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bumping Into Players this Weekend

Bumping Into Players this Weekend

Sat next to Gareth Southgate yesterday who was having a drink at the cricket club. This morning bumped into Luke Ayling and started chatting to him as he was walking the same dog as ours - Golden Retriever.

Funny old weekend!

Struggling to remember the last footballer I was in contact with.

Nicest I ever met was Richard Sneekes the day after we lost 2-4 at home to Wolves.

A very nice guy with loads of time to chat with an average fan like myself.

Quote Originally Posted by mickd1961 View Post
    Struggling to remember the last footballer I was in contact with.

Nicest I ever met was Richard Sneekes the day after we lost 2-4 at home to Wolves.

A very nice guy with loads of time to chat with an average fan like myself.
    Was his daughter with him?

Quote Originally Posted by Dubbag View Post
    She was about 3 at the time so what you’re suggesting is highly inappropriate! 😏

Quote Originally Posted by Dubbag View Post

My daughter knows Southgate's daughter well - Mia!

I think the last player I had any contact with was on a couple of occasions me and my mate walked to a couple of night games with Dennis Clarke all up Soho Road to the ground, A totally different time when footballers were really ordinary working blokes who knew when their career ended they were gonna have to find another form of employment for the next 20 odd years until state pension kicked in. Unlike the cossetted self entitled to**ers we have to watch now who feel that they should be able to retire from any sort of work after about 35 years of age.

In the 80s I worked at a Steel company in West Bromwich when a rather old and stocky bloke would pop in once a week. I only ever said hello to him and I wish I knew who he was at the time as I could have asked him dozens of questions about the 1931 Cup Final. It was Harold Pearson the goalkeeper who apparently worked at the steel company for many years after retirement from football.

Also used to talk a lot with Paul Aimson in the local pubs when I spent time in Christchurch, Bournemouth. Aimson was a legendary striker for York City but made his home in Christchurch after signing for bournemouth in the 70s. He was another footballer who used to like a drink or two

Used to meet Howard Riley, Leicester City winger in Cup Finals v Spurs (1961) and Man. Utd. (1963). Became a PE teacher after retiring from football and therefore saw him on a regular basis when our schools played each other. Lovely chap, very quiet and unassuming.

Our player of the time Colin Anderson was best mates of a lad I played football with and he played indoor football with us during the summer.

As I’ve mentioned previously you’d never have guessed he was a pro other than the fact he never gave the ball away and he had a viscous shot, far more powerful than anyone else I ever played with.

He had zero personality though.

Quote Originally Posted by mickd1961 View Post
    She was about 3 at the time so what you’re suggesting is highly inappropriate! 😏
    You make a very valid point Michael and I have noted it.
    Fast forward to now and your answer may be different....🤔

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)