+ Visit Barnsley FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Right wing/full back position , is it a poisoned chalice at Oakwell ?

Right wing/full back position , is it a poisoned chalice at Oakwell ?

I am starting to think that the position of right wing/full back at Oakwell is well & truly jinxed , by my reckoning the players who have occupied that position for us this season or most of them have found themselves in the treatment room with lengthy injuries . The first one what comes to mind was Helliwell playing at Ipswich early in the season & has not been seen since, then there was Mcarthy who has been out for an eternity & still out, then Williams who was out for a while but thankfully returned & now Edwards whose injury has ended his season with us & we are only half way through it & then unbelievably his stand in replacement Benson playing out of position gets crocked , there cannot be a run of injuries in one position in our entire history to rival this season , Mr Duff is certainly not having it easy .

I think any wing back position is an extremely difficult position to play.
    Not only have they got to be good at defending they also need to be able to get forward at speed and produce quality passes into the box while also chipping in with a few goals.
    I can’t think of a single wingback playing for us over the last few seasons that has been able to tick those boxes.

Best ive seen in that position is Kichen.
    But obviously he’s used more as a centre back.
    I’d be pleased if we got someone like Kichen as a right wingback and had Kichen as the left wingback.
    Two tall lads coming in from the sides would cause opposition defenders some reyt worries.

Quote Originally Posted by Young_Nudger View Post
    I think any wing back position is an extremely difficult position to play.
    Not only have they got to be good at defending they also need to be able to get forward at speed and produce quality passes into the box while also chipping in with a few goals.
    I can’t think of a single wingback playing for us over the last few seasons that has been able to tick those boxes.

Best ive seen in that position is Kichen.
    But obviously he’s used more as a centre back.
    I’d be pleased if we got someone like Kichen as a right wingback and had Kichen as the left wingback.
    Two tall lads coming in from the sides would cause opposition defenders some reyt worries.
    I thought Styles & Brittain were both superb the season we got to the play offs under Val , in fact they were both as good as anything in the championship & as likeable as Kitchen is I do not think his performances in division 1 this season are nowhere near what those two were at a higher level .

Quote Originally Posted by Shadrack the Red View Post
    I thought Styles & Brittain were both superb the season we got to the play offs under Val , in fact they were both as good as anything in the championship & as likeable as Kitchen is I do not think his performances in division 1 this season are nowhere near what those two were at a higher level .
    Correct Shads though Brittain was not too hot on the goalscoring front.

One Kitching would be enough for me Nudge

Quote Originally Posted by SBRed48 View Post

Hes a liability. Red card waiting to happen. Needs to calm down a bit and gain some composure.

Quote Originally Posted by SBRed48 View Post

And Styles weren’t that hot on the defending front.
    As for Kichen - IMO he’s one of the best players currently at the club.

And Styles weren’t that hot on the defending front.
    As for Kichen - IMO he’s one of the best players currently at the club.
    We would not have got to the play offs if both our wing backs were not up to the job & I am surprised about your criticism of Styles playing in the wing back role considering he ended up playing international football on the back of his performance & to be honest as much as we all hope that Kitchen develops into a decent player he is currently only at the development stage , he is too rash & is a potential loose cannon although I am delighted he has extended because under Duffs guidance I think there is a player in there , but to suggest currently that he is a better wing back than the two who were successful in the championship in my opinion is way off the mark.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadrack the Red View Post
    We would not have got to the play offs if both our wing backs were not up to the job & I am surprised about your criticism of Styles playing in the wing back role considering he ended up playing international football on the back of his performance & to be honest as much as we all hope that Kitchen develops into a decent player he is currently only at the development stage , he is too rash & is a potential loose cannon although I am delighted he has extended because under Duffs guidance I think there is a player in there , but to suggest currently that he is a better wing back than the two who were successful in the championship in my opinion is way off the mark.
    Last playoffs- the goalkeeper, centre backs and strikers were adequate to good.
    Much of the weakness in that team stemmed from the middle four.
    A bit more quantity there might have seen us over the line.
    Brittains missed opportunity to score an easy goal was a prime example of that.
    Styles is not a wingback - and this sometimes revealed itself.
    IMO.

Last playoffs- the goalkeeper, centre backs and strikers were adequate to good.
    Much of the weakness in that team stemmed from the middle four.
    A bit more quantity there might have seen us over the line.
    Brittains missed opportunity to score an easy goal was a prime example of that.
    Styles is not a wingback - and this sometimes revealed itself.
    IMO.
    He was an excellent wing back in the play off season but he was completely messed about when Mowatt left & the hopeless coaches were trying to shoe horn him into different positions instead of leaving him where he had been excellent before , but he has turned it round, he is playing both championship & international football whilst are current wing backs ply their trade in the third division.