+ Visit Barnsley FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Romared Match Thoughts Barnsley v Wigan Athletic

Romared Match Thoughts Barnsley v Wigan Athletic

A banana skin of a game if there ever was one in my opinion and against a club we've never beaten at Oakwell .

Take away Wigan's points deduction and they would be 9th .

The first game of a New Year , let's hope it goes better than the last one when we were comprehensively thumped 3-0 by Bolton Wanderers at Oakwell .

I've set the scene haven't I .

Got a bad feeling about this one I have to say .

ive predicted a home win tomorrow but the lingering doubt in my mind is the fact they have a big lump up front in Charlie Whyke and a good provider and goal scorer in Humphrys. Weve struggled to defend against that kind of combination this season.

There could be a surprise in store tomorrow but weve hit a bit of goalscoring form recently so I remain hopeful in what should be a close fought encounter.

I see we have never ever beaten them at home, drawn 3 & lost 3 which makes me think that by the law of averages it will be our turn for the three points ,

The gnarled old soothsayer that lives amongst the tree roots at the top of 'Arnd Hill appeared through the mist and cackled---

"Listen Well SB. It be written that the team by the name of Wigan from over yonder hills keep a curse on any fixture at the Well by the Oak.
    So it be that the curse predicts that no home team shall win. The team that plays in Red there is forever doomed. The curse can only be lifted by a stranger from far-away lands providing funds for a central defensive experienced leader"

Quote Originally Posted by SBRed48 View Post
    The gnarled old soothsayer that lives amongst the tree roots at the top of 'Arnd Hill appeared through the mist and cackled---

"Listen Well SB. It be written that the team by the name of Wigan from over yonder hills keep a curse on any fixture at the Well by the Oak.
    So it be that the curse predicts that no home team shall win. The team that plays in Red there is forever doomed. The curse can only be lifted by a stranger from far-away lands providing funds for a central defensive experienced leader"
    pyssin missen SB

SB - a well by the oak (tree).
    I’ve never visualised Oakwell as being that.
    I’ve always assumed it was a well constructed (ie lined) by oak beams - as opposed to wells usually being constructed of stone.

Quote Originally Posted by Young_Nudger View Post
    SB - a well by the oak (tree).
    I’ve never visualised Oakwell as being that.
    I’ve always assumed it was a well constructed (ie lined) by oak beams - as opposed to wells usually being constructed of stone.
    Can you not visualise the old club badge with the tree & the well Nudge ? Great badge

Quote Originally Posted by Shadrack the Red View Post
    Can you not visualise the old club badge with the tree & the well Nudge ? Great badge

It certainly was Shads. I never took to the white rose clib crest in all honesty but since that disappeared and the Spectemur Agendo crest replaced it, I was happy with that.

Name:  IMG_8553.jpg
Views: 172
Size:  17.8 KB

REDS: Roberts (GK), O'Keeffe, Williams (c), de Gevigney, McCart, Cadden, Kane, Connell, Phillips, McAtee, Cole.
    Subs: Killip (GK), Łopata, Cotter, Styles, Watters, Cosgrove, Jaló.

WIGAN: Tickle (GK), Clare, Hughes, Morrison, Sessegnon, Shaw, Adeeko, Jones, Lang, Good, Magennis (c).*
    Subs: Amos (GK), Robinson, Smith, Aasgaard, McManaman, Sze, Wyke.

Jamie McCart returns from injury and replaces Owen Dodgson who is not in the squad, while Nicky Cadden replaces Callum Styles at left wing-back.
    I thought Dodgson had a decent game at Posh.
    Last edited by POGGYWELL; 01-01-2024 at 02:09 PM.

Here you go:

Barnsley Football Club can confirm that Owen Dodgson has been recalled by Burnley with immediate effect.

The 20-year-old arrived at Oakwell in the summer on loan following a successful pre-season with the Clarets.

Dodgson went on to make 15 appearances for the Reds, netting on his debut against Grimsby Town in the EFL Trophy.

"I'd like to thank my teammates and the coaching staff for making me feel welcome right from the start," said Dodgson.

"I'd also like to say a huge thanks to the Barnsley fans who backed me and showed their support which as a young player playing for a club like this is massive.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast