+ Visit West Bromwich Albion FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: African Nations Cup

African Nations Cup

Anyone else watch the semi-finals? Have a few days holiday so was able to watch them both. The earlier one between Nigeria and South Africa I found pretty poor first half but it certainly livened up by the end of the second! Good old VAR! Pleased for Ajayi that Nigeria got through but considering Nigeria were clear favourites, S.A. certainly gave them a run for their money. The second match was a bit of a disappointment I thought with DRC not playing as well as I thought they would. As host nation, Ivory Coast will be pleased to be in Saturday's final.

Ajayi having a good tournament by all accounts.

Quote Originally Posted by boingy View Post
    Ajayi having a good tournament by all accounts.
    Only saw him play in the semi-final but he had a decent game and made a couple of important interceptions. Surprised Nigeria didn't use his height a bit more when putting in crosses or corners though.

As an aside, I thought the standard of refereeing was pretty good and there was comparatively little of the over-the-top behaviour from players if fouled or decisions went against them that seems the norm in European football. Majority of players just got on with it. As for VAR, it's use did slow things down but I thought it was at least used correctly and the decisions vindicated.

Haven't watched it but glad he is doing well and getting game time. If he comes back uninjured and ready to play will be an advantage for us with the last ten games coming quickly.

Nigerian media apparently have been full of praise for Ajayi, with All Nigeria Soccer giving him an 8/10 which is higher than for any other player. Be good to get him back once AFCON is over to help boost the squad and maintain our play off position. In the meantime, best wishes to him for the final tomorrow.

Sat? Got the day wrong 🙄! AFCON final is Sun 8pm ko so best wishes to Ajayi for then!

Quote Originally Posted by Omegstrat6 View Post
    Sat? Got the day wrong 🙄! AFCON final is Sun 8pm ko so best wishes to Ajayi for then!
    Good luck Semi 🤞

2-1 to Cote d'Ivoire. Feel sorry for Ajayi but Ivory Coast deserved the win. Nigeria sat back and defended far too much despite some talented forwards whereas Ivory Coast continually went for it. Having watched both semi-finals, not really a surprise result to me tbh. Ajayi has had a good tournament though and will be pleased to have him back.

Quote Originally Posted by Omegstrat6 View Post
    2-1 to Cote d'Ivoire. Feel sorry for Ajayi but Ivory Coast deserved the win. Nigeria sat back and defended far too much despite some talented forwards whereas Ivory Coast continually went for it. Having watched both semi-finals, not really a surprise result to me tbh. Ajayi has had a good tournament though and will be pleased to have him back.
    Yes he did well but the best team won and wanted it more.

Hardly the best team of the whole tournament won, though. Going into the semis Côte d’Ivoire had played 5 games: 1 win, 2 draws (won at pens and AET), 2 defeats and GD 4-7.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)