+ Visit Dundee United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Summer Football

Summer Football

Sitting out here in the back garden and it’s got me thinking about this again. Surely the answer to playable surfaces isn’t phucking plastic but play at a better time of year? I know it’s not always going to be perfect, far from it, but surely a season from late Feb/early March to late October/early Nov is going to be a helluva lot better than what we’ve got right now?

European football/international tournaments can be worked around (after all the Scandinavians have managed it successfully for years and years) but the big kicker has to be money. Sky would kill for year round football and it surely would collectively put us in a much better bargaining position to be offering football when the EPL is absent.

Finally, I want the hilarity of a 1700 ko of the gruesome twosome on the 12th of July. What could possibly go wrong?????

The last World Cup proved we can break for it.

Oh, and I was in Aberdeen today and it was freezing. 😂

I prefer it like it is, winter would be awful without Utd and football, summer there are plenty other things to do during the down time and there is no guarantees these days as you see with the downpours recently, leave that to ROI

Quote Originally Posted by shedka View Post
    I prefer it like it is, winter would be awful without Utd and football, summer there are plenty other things to do during the down time and there is no guarantees these days as you see with the downpours recently, leave that to ROI
    Agree 100%,winters are bad enough with nae daylight but throw in nae futba and life would hardly be worth living.Dens would still be getting called off ump**** times as last summer and this spring have been the wettest on record.

I agree with much of the above but I really think the TV deal would be substantially better by moving to the summer. Rugby League did it a few years ago and has thrived since.

Quote Originally Posted by JamesMcClean View Post
    Sitting out here in the back garden and it’s got me thinking about this again. Surely the answer to playable surfaces isn’t phucking plastic but play at a better time of year? I know it’s not always going to be perfect, far from it, but surely a season from late Feb/early March to late October/early Nov is going to be a helluva lot better than what we’ve got right now?
    I've thought of this a fair bit. Playing surfaces up here are decent until about Dec. This is due to the renovations that take place during the close season. Take those renovations away, and you'd be left with bang average surfaces all year round. The season would probably run from mid March to the end of December, meaning the only rest period pitches would get would be January & February, exactly when grass doesn't grow, therefore no recovery. We'd then kick off again in March with a pitch in its already deteriorated condition that it was left in a few months before. For clubs like ours, who don't have the resources to keep grass growing all year round, I'm not so sure summer football would be of much benefit to the surface.

I guess it a catch 22 situation. Average surface for the whole season, or ones that are great for six and a half months and poor for three.

Quote Originally Posted by tHeArAb View Post
    . Average surface for the whole season, or ones that are great for six and a half months and poor for three.

Good post mate but just to add Dens was poor from December 22 till May 24,shyte in all weather.

Quote Originally Posted by GUNBOAT View Post
    Good post mate but just to add Dens was poor from December 22 till May 24,shyte in all weather.
    Are they not laying a plastic pitch in anticipation of season 2026?

Quote Originally Posted by GUNBOAT View Post
    They be reaping the financial benefit of not maintaining their surface properly now, I'm sure. 🤔

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)