+ Visit West Bromwich Albion FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Amazon Prime outage?

Amazon Prime outage?

Unable to access either my Amazon Prime video or other services as my account suspended due to non payment and asks me to update card details but there is nothing wrong with these (not expired for eg). Our youngest -who is far more tech savvy than me 😁- reckons it's a server issue and when I googled it the Sun are reporting that "hundreds" have reported issues today. I suspect it will be more like thousands. Anyone else experiencing problems?

Be careful, it could be a targeted cyber attack on Amazon.

Quote Originally Posted by kettering_baggie View Post
    Be careful, it could be a targeted cyber attack on Amazon.
    Which is why I've not done anything (like trying to re-enter card details) and left it for Amazon to resolve Ketts.

Technology has its great uses but only when it works and it does seem that attacks on it are not only increasing but becoming far more sophisticated. Of course, it's likely a system failure but you're dead right as it pays not to be too trusting these days.👍

An awful lot of IT issues for many institutions in the last few weeks.....? I blame global warming,because there's no way that our friends in the east would mess with us,Shirley

Quote Originally Posted by greyhound View Post
    An awful lot of IT issues for many institutions in the last few weeks.....? I blame global warming,because there's no way that our friends in the east would mess with us,Shirley
    RAF Neatishead is just up the road from me which is now an RAF radar museum which houses, amongst other things, a Cold War ops room. Its only open certain days of the week and is run mostly by ex-servicemen who talk you through the exhibits. Obviously the museum attracts former RAF personnel and I was there once when one visitor was an ex-Lightning pilot who told us about the frequency of intercepts made on Soviet "Bear" aircraft during the Cold War and into the 1980s. Such overt actions may not be as regular now but threats to our underwater communications networks and increased cyber attacks are very much on the agenda. Some may view the recent spate of warnings from various European military experts as scare-mongering but, personally, I think we would be stupid not to acknowledge either the threat posed or the erosion of our military capabilities over recent decades.

For those visiting Norfolk who are interested in such things, I thoroughly recommend this small museum. The sheer - and very British!-"Heath Robinson" kind of technology/invention of many things strikes me so we get, in a 1980's ops room, a large display screen in front of banks of computers which plots aircraft (both military and civilian) that looks as if it should be digital but is, in fact, backwards written chinograph and photos of a WW2 era radar dish that is rotated, not mechanically, but by a man on a bicycle riding in a circle around its mounting (donkeys, presumably, not being available). The recreation of a WW2 plotting room and the explanation of how German bombers were tracked and interceptors from Fighter Command sent up is also worthwhile whereas the nuclear explosion observation point is downright scary (simply clamber up the steps from the bunker in your mask, open up the top cover and take a peek!).

Quote Originally Posted by Omegstrat6 View Post
    RAF Neatishead is just up the road from me which is now an RAF radar museum which houses, amongst other things, a Cold War ops room. Its only open certain days of the week and is run mostly by ex-servicemen who talk you through the exhibits. Obviously the museum attracts former RAF personnel and I was there once when one visitor was an ex-Lightning pilot who told us about the frequency of intercepts made on Soviet "Bear" aircraft during the Cold War and into the 1980s. Such overt actions may not be as regular now but threats to our underwater communications networks and increased cyber attacks are very much on the agenda. Some may view the recent spate of warnings from various European military experts as scare-mongering but, personally, I think we would be stupid not to acknowledge either the threat posed or the erosion of our military capabilities over recent decades.

For those visiting Norfolk who are interested in such things, I thoroughly recommend this small museum. The sheer - and very British!-"Heath Robinson" kind of technology/invention of many things strikes me so we get, in a 1980's ops room, a large display screen in front of banks of computers which plots aircraft (both military and civilian) that looks as if it should be digital but is, in fact, backwards written chinograph and photos of a WW2 era radar dish that is rotated, not mechanically, but by a man on a bicycle riding in a circle around its mounting (donkeys, presumably, not being available). The recreation of a WW2 plotting room and the explanation of how German bombers were tracked and interceptors from Fighter Command sent up is also worthwhile whereas the nuclear explosion observation point is downright scary (simply clamber up the steps from the bunker in your mask, open up the top cover and take a peek!).
    Thanks for that Omegs. I would love some day to see so many of these historical places so important during war time.
    Plan to visit the D-day landing zones to some day. The cold war was sadly our inter war peace time. The ramping up of war talk is very real as politicians seem frozen in how to deal with the threat.
    Funny how nationalism is on the rise, yet patriotism is in decline or running scared.

Quote Originally Posted by Dubbag View Post
    Thanks for that Omegs. I would love some day to see so many of these historical places so important during war time.
    Plan to visit the D-day landing zones to some day. The cold war was sadly our inter war peace time. The ramping up of war talk is very real as politicians seem frozen in how to deal with the threat.
    Funny how nationalism is on the rise, yet patriotism is in decline or running scared.
    History is one of my own big interests and as I was fortunate enough to know a few who served in the Great War as well as WW2 I've always been interested in both. Born in 61, the echoes of the Second World War were very much still around growing up whether in the old war movies shown on tv or through the memories of relatives. Like many boys of my generation (before we moved on to the moon landing) I had a fascination for WW2 aircraft especially and still enjoy visits to military museums.

Locally, we have nothing as impressive as Duxford or Hendon of course, but the smallish City of Norwich Aviation Museum (next to the airport) is worth a visit and includes a Vulcan bomber as is the enthusiast run Norfolk and Suffolk Aviation Museum which has several Cold War era jets as well as various other exhibits-including, if I remember, a letter from a certain young Norma Jean from when she used to pack parachutes.

As East Anglia was home to many airfields during the war, there are quite a few links locally to the USAAF bomber bases as well as RAF ones. Those whose liking is more for tanks will enjoy the Muckleburgh collection further up the coast and for those who like their history even older, Norfolk, as well as having the cathedral and castle at Norwich, is the county with more medieval churches than any other to explore.

Anyhow, hope you are able to make your visits as planned. I think, perhaps, that ours may be the last generation for whom the sacrifices made in WW2 -let alone WW1 -mean very much. This may go someway towards explaining your last comment Dubs, which I think you are strangely right about.

Russian incursions into UK territorial waters and airspace are still regular occurrences. And you're absolutely right about our military resources. While we've made tremendous gains in tech the simple truth is that we lack numbers both in terms of personnel and materials.

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)