+ Visit Barnsley FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Collins quote in YP

Collins quote in YP

I find this very interesting.

Collins in the YP.
    ……. "It could suit Donovan even more to be here because he's got a 6ft 5in frame but to be aerially dominant isn't as necessary in the MLS, where the environment is slower with more passes.”

This reinforces what some supporters have said about recruiting this HC.
    Don’t get me wrong I hope this HC is massively successful - because if he is then obviously Barnsley will be successful.
    But there’s a conundrum here.

We all can see that the MLS is slower with more passes.
    And that’s exactly how Barnsley started this season.

So knowing that American football is much slower - what attracted the recruitment team to look at Niall Collins in the first place as a potential HC ???
    Collins was required to step into the shoes of Michael Duff who played a quick direct style of football compared to most (all?) in the league.
    A totally different form of football to what Collins was used to.
    It just doesn’t add up.
    IMO it’s a very weird choice knowing Collins background.

And although Collins implemented his own style from the beginning - the style he is using now has become increasingly quicker over recent weeks.
    The strikers and midfielders pressing quicker - and defenders and midfielders hitting longer balls forward.
    So is there someone in the background at the club that’s influenced how Collins plays ?

It would be good to hear what James Cryne had to say about this.

Quote Originally Posted by Young_Nudger View Post
    I find this very interesting.

Collins in the YP.
    ……. "It could suit Donovan even more to be here because he's got a 6ft 5in frame but to be aerially dominant isn't as necessary in the MLS, where the environment is slower with more passes.”

This reinforces what some supporters have said about recruiting this HC.
    Don’t get me wrong I hope this HC is massively successful - because if he is then obviously Barnsley will be successful.
    But there’s a conundrum here.

We all can see that the MLS is slower with more passes.
    And that’s exactly how Barnsley started this season.

So knowing that American football is much slower - what attracted the recruitment team to look at Niall Collins in the first place as a potential HC ???
    Collins was required to step into the shoes of Michael Duff who played a quick direct style of football compared to most (all?) in the league.
    A totally different form of football to what Collins was used to.
    It just doesn’t add up.
    IMO it’s a very weird choice knowing Collins background.

And although Collins implemented his own style from the beginning - the style he is using now has become increasingly quicker over recent weeks.
    The strikers and midfielders pressing quicker - and defenders and midfielders hitting longer balls forward.
    So is there someone in the background at the club that’s influenced how Collins plays ?

It would be good to hear what James Cryne had to say about this.
    Free agent .

Feck sake .

Quote Originally Posted by animallittle3 View Post
    Free agent .
    I’m same.
    But they dint ask me.

But seriously - there’s literally 100s of free agents out there that have managed football teams.
    If Collins had come from a club in Europe that plays the same or similar style then it would be understandable.
    But it’s a chalk and cheese choice.

It would be interesting to hear the thought process behind his appointment.

Wow, can James Cryne actually talk .

It's a stepping stone for Collins on his way to Barcelona.

Quote Originally Posted by pass_and_move View Post
    Feck sake .
    Don’t you think it’s interesting to hear the head coach admit that he comes from a different coaching environment to what we play here.

Because I certainly find it interesting.

No not really

Quote Originally Posted by Young_Nudger View Post
    Don’t you think it’s interesting to hear the head coach admit that he comes from a different coaching environment to what we play here.

Because I certainly find it interesting.
    You seem to forget Nudge that he played the game here in England for 20 years , he knows more about the game over here than me you & Uncle Tom Cobbly , he can talk about the game in the States because he worked in it but do not make the mistake that the English game is something new to him, he knows it backwards .

Quote Originally Posted by Shadrack the Red View Post
    You seem to forget Nudge that he played the game here in England for 20 years , he knows more about the game over here than me you & Uncle Tom Cobbly , he can talk about the game in the States because he worked in it but do not make the mistake that the English game is something new to him, he knows it backwards .
    The game has moved on in England since he played here - especially at progressive clubs such as Barnsley.
    If you look at appointments since Morais the Collins appointment looks like a step back in time at Barnsley.
    He hasn’t coached tactics that we have seen under Stendel, Struber, Ismael and to a certain extent Duff.
    Obviously most clubs are following the model of passing from side to side and retaining the ball - but taking away the Conway season we haven’t seen this type of football for years at Barnsley.

I’m not saying here BTW that Collins is a poor coach.
    He’s clearly a winner and the players work their socks off.
    What I’m discussing here is reasons behind the change in direction with the appointment of HCs.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast