+ Visit Sheffield Wednesday FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Poor recruitment.

Poor recruitment.

By whoever dictates it........None of our weaknesses were addressed. ..We spent 4m on Abdi, when other areas needed sorting out first...Full backs..another centre half..and a Roy Keane style midfielder sat behind our creative two....Maybe we did overachieve last season, and reality has set in...but nonetheless, the frailties were evident against Hull..and still are this season....CC neither has the personel, nor the inclination to deviate from a failing plan A when its needed.....Buy 600 like for like midfielders, then try to crowbar them all into a first eleven...."We don't need a discotheque bouncer on the pitch." Well Carlos, we clearly do, don't we.

That was a very poor lacklustre performance yesterday, somethings not right within the team. CC cant continue to play 3 centre midfields in a 442. The 3 upfront must be on £80k a week combined and have scored 10 goals in total !. Too much backward passing every game, I just hope for CC's sake this isnt the second season syndrome happening again

My take on it is that when we have a couple of bad results just look back on the fif**** years or so prior to Chansiri, that usually has the effect of putting things into perspective, it's easy to forget isn't it...of course it's disappointing when we lose or put in a poor performance but there's always the next game....supporting the Owls is the same as being on a MASSIVE roller coaster, been that way for me since the mid sixties, at this moment in time on the roller coaster we are on a slow pull up to the top...it'll be reyt, it's the Owls way.

Quote Originally Posted by aussieowl View Post
    My take on it is that when we have a couple of bad results just look back on the fif**** years or so prior to Chansiri, that usually has the effect of putting things into perspective, it's easy to forget isn't it...of course it's disappointing when we lose or put in a poor performance but there's always the next game....supporting the Owls is the same as being on a MASSIVE roller coaster, been that way for me since the mid sixties, at this moment in time on the roller coaster we are on a slow pull up to the top...it'll be reyt, it's the Owls way.
    Sorry, don't agree with that at all.....We have a real chance of doing things right, and achieving great things, but it could be worse, so lets not critcise mistakes, however blatant and costly...Although disappointing, it doesn't really matter if we lose the next ten games, because we were pants for years, and a few seasons ago, we nearly went out of business...That approach is a surefire way of a return to the dark days.. especially with our wage bill....Yes we were in a mess for years, but we're not now...DC has raised the bar, and took us forward...so the past is irrelevant. ..We're potential challengers, so why not go for it, like we mean it...by giving ourselves the best chance possible..and having all angles covered?...Brighton have done (for less money).....Perspective taking is non productive, during the course of a career/event...only after it, if you so wish.....If we think like that, then we'll be back in the mire in no time....Not to mention that the fans are paying through the nose for this journey. ...So lets have a proper go....Not 'It doesn't really matter because we were cr@p for 16 years.'so accept whatever happens.....This is not a few bad results. ..This has been brewing since before the Hull game ....Teams now know how to nulify our only plan of attack....We don't know how to break them down, and lack options going forward....We can't play against teams that get in our faces.....Again..Brighton have strenghened in key areas...we haven't....It was obvious what we required, but we didn't address the issues.....and it shows....We lack a 'Diame' in the middle....Proper full backs....Our best central midfielders are irritatingly played out wide....4m Abdi is wasted ..and wasn't desperately needed in the first place...Buckley may aswell go home....Substitutions have been baffling..etc etc...The players are out of form yes....But this is no suprise, when the set-up is so disjointed.....I like Carlos the man..and hope he wakes up to these glaring issues....It seems that he's just hoping something clicks..because he knows no other way....Hope I'm wrong.

I was talking about my own personal perspective after a couple of bad results, not that the club, Chansiri/Carlos should look at the last fif**** years or so & think yeah that's OK cos we were pants then, it's just my way of lessening the disappointment of a run of poor form.

I agree with most of what you've said about the team, players, tactics whatever but the bottom line is the results, a good result against Ipswich with the same performance level would have totally different reactions from fans, football is always like this, the keeping of the ball & slow build up with possession is great when you win, same thing when you lose & it's like it's oh so boring....keeping possession gets the oh-lay treatment when the scoreline is favourable & boos when it's not.

It's also like when the team scores in the last minute to draw...feels great, concede a goal in the last minute to draw & the feeling is not so good, same performance level, same result, different feeling. People can argue all day long about players & what position or tactics should be used but again the only thing that matters is the result....nobody complained much when Wilko was long balling us to promotion & doing OK in the top flight & I'm sure the purists would have turned on Big Ron's style if the results had been bad.

Carlos is getting some unfair stick at the moment in my opinion but again that's football.

Quote Originally Posted by aussieowl View Post
    I was talking about my own personal perspective after a couple of bad results, not that the club, Chansiri/Carlos should look at the last fif**** years or so & think yeah that's OK cos we were pants then, it's just my way of lessening the disappointment of a run of poor form.

I agree with most of what you've said about the team, players, tactics whatever but the bottom line is the results, a good result against Ipswich with the same performance level would have totally different reactions from fans, football is always like this, the keeping of the ball & slow build up with possession is great when you win, same thing when you lose & it's like it's oh so boring....keeping possession gets the oh-lay treatment when the scoreline is favourable & boos when it's not.

It's also like when the team scores in the last minute to draw...feels great, concede a goal in the last minute to draw & the feeling is not so good, same performance level, same result, different feeling. People can argue all day long about players & what position or tactics should be used but again the only thing that matters is the result....nobody complained much when Wilko was long balling us to promotion & doing OK in the top flight & I'm sure the purists would have turned on Big Ron's style if the results had been bad.

Carlos is getting some unfair stick at the moment in my opinion but again that's football.
    I understand what you are saying, had we got a result against Ipswich we would be sat in the top 6 right now and would have far less complaints. It was an under par performance but had we got a result it would have been ok - we played quite well as Derby but didn't get the rub of the green the weekend before.

Having said that, something isn't quite right. We have a better squad than last season and in patches have played better football but there is just a sense that 1 or 2 of the players aren't happy with how they are being played and playing a central midfielder out wide, whether it be Lee, Bannan or Abdi, isn't working. We have a good enough choice of players to be successful playing 4-4-2 with 2 natural wide players or 4-3-3 with 3 proper midfielders. Pick a shape and don't try and shoe horn players into positions.

Somethings not quite right at pretty much all clubs, unless they're in a league position that historically makes them look like they're doing OK...unless we're in the top six then 'something' won't be quite right, a club could be fighting relegation all season but if they are playing in a league above where history says they normally are then it'll be a case of 'we're doing our best', it's acceptable.

Look at Man Utd, not acceptable, something isn't quite right......Leicester, this season is sort of OK because last season they did the impossible, same position/results prior to last season & it would be great because they aren't in a relegation spot, survival in the prem for Leicester prior to last year is a major success, since last year, there might be talk of 'something isn't quite right' in the near future...results hirsty, the only thing that matters over time.

It's early November and nows not the time for panicking and getting on the managers back.
    If we were playing poorly I could understand some of the ludicrous criticisms I've heard of Carlos but we aren't.
    We've had no luck at all and some of the new players haven't had the immediate impact you hope for but to be fair that doesn't happen often anyway. The likes of abdi will get his chance as the long haul of the season unfolds.
    I keep hearing teams have sussed us out, total bollox! Teams know we're a good side and look to put men behind the ball, it's not being sussed. It would also help scoring first as we'll give someone a hiding if we do.
    There's not a lot wrong at hillsborough and some fans need to add a bit of perspective. The likes of Brighton have been assembling there squad (with good money spent) for a lot longer than us and haven't always got it right.
    It can be really frustrating watching WEDNESDAY at times and having loads of possession and few shots at goal doesn't help but booing and criticising players isn't going to help that.
    We're in the hunt for the play offs, that's the best we can hope for with the parachute payment from the prem.
    maybe Ipswich and Leeds apart, I've enjoyed my football this season

In my opinion, our summer recruitment strategy has resulted in us taking a step backwards as Carlos struggles to identify a formation and regular team selection. Add to that 'Forestieri gate' and the fact that the league is much more competitive this year, and it is not hard to see why we haven't met expectations yet.

The solution? There's no point playing people out of position just to accommodate them in the starting line up. Also, players like Abdi need a run of games before we can start judging them - heard one bloke on Radio Sheffield slating him already which is ridiculous.

The positive is that we haven't really got going yet and we sit two points off the play-offs. Brighton and Newcastle are running away with it but I expect at least one of them to have a dip in form over Christmas - and if we are serious about challenging for an automatic place then we need to find our form QUICKLY and be lurching in the background should they slip up.

We are still very much work in progress if you ask me. If we finish in the play-offs again then I'll be a happy man and I think Carlos deserves the time to get it right considering what he achieved last season.

The question is will Chansiri give him the time? Hearing whispers he isn't happy with what he's seeing this season.

Quote Originally Posted by Rotherhamowl10 View Post
    In my opinion, our summer recruitment strategy has resulted in us taking a step backwards as Carlos struggles to identify a formation and regular team selection. Add to that 'Forestieri gate' and the fact that the league is much more competitive this year, and it is not hard to see why we haven't met expectations yet.

The solution? There's no point playing people out of position just to accommodate them in the starting line up. Also, players like Abdi need a run of games before we can start judging them - heard one bloke on Radio Sheffield slating him already which is ridiculous.

The positive is that we haven't really got going yet and we sit two points off the play-offs. Brighton and Newcastle are running away with it but I expect at least one of them to have a dip in form over Christmas - and if we are serious about challenging for an automatic place then we need to find our form QUICKLY and be lurching in the background should they slip up.

We are still very much work in progress if you ask me. If we finish in the play-offs again then I'll be a happy man and I think Carlos deserves the time to get it right considering what he achieved last season.

The question is will Chansiri give him the time? Hearing whispers he isn't happy with what he's seeing this season.

I don't doubt chansiri isn't happy with results this season but I do doubt any whispers you've heard have any foundation. The one thing he has been good at is keeping things very much in house and little that he doesn't want out , gets out.
    We've yet to see what kind of chairman he is when things don't go as he would wish (I hope we don't find out anytime soon).

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)