+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: First Famous Footballer (FFF)

First Famous Footballer (FFF)

With the hiatus caused by the fantasy world cup, I thought it might be interesting to discuss the first famous footballer people remember seeing play against Rotherham.

My FFF was Jimmy Melia, playing for Southampton against the Millers at Millmoor in '65. Although only 28, he looked ancient with his bald head and comb-over, but he was a hell of a player. He played alongside Terry Paine and in their 3-1 victory Martin Chivers scored twice. Chivers repeated that feat (I think) when I went down to White Hart Lane to watch Spurs beat us in the FA Cup when he played alongside that other great comb-over, Ralph Coates!

Any other FFFs out there?

John Charles ,whom my dad pointed out to me whilst playing at Millmoor . The way the old man eulogised about him I realised he was famous

He probably wasn't the first but I remember Stanley Matthews playing at Millmoor and was he 50 at the time or have I dreamt that?

John Charles for Leeds United, remember him breaking a young lads arm, in railway end at Millmoor, when his shot missed the goal, hit the concrete sections of the grounds surrounds, lad had his arm over the top of a section. Charles went to Doncaster Gate hospital, where the lad was receiving treatment, at the end of the game. John Charles a true professional & Gentleman

Quote Originally Posted by GlennMiller View Post
    With the hiatus caused by the fantasy world cup, I thought it might be interesting to discuss the first famous footballer people remember seeing play against Rotherham.

My FFF was Jimmy Melia, playing for Southampton against the Millers at Millmoor in '65. Although only 28, he looked ancient with his bald head and comb-over, but he was a hell of a player. He played alongside Terry Paine and in their 3-1 victory Martin Chivers scored twice. Chivers repeated that feat (I think) when I went down to White Hart Lane to watch Spurs beat us in the FA Cup when he played alongside that other great comb-over, Ralph Coates!

Any other FFFs out there?
    I've had to wrack my brain on this one as either I've forgotten or I simply haven't seen us play against 'famous' players. I think it might be someone as 'un-famous' as Peter Ward when he came to Millmoor with Brighton in the mid to late 70s when he was on the up to gaining his ONE England cap. Looks like after a 'failed' move to Forest he spent most of the rest of his career here in the US.

Also I think you could class Brian Kidd and Peter Barnes as famous when they came with Man City in the FA Cup in 1979. Kidd had a European Cup Winners medal and TWO England caps but I suppose Barnes with his 22 England Caps takes the famous trophy from my perspective (although that City side might have had others that I'm forgetting).

I missed out on the Arsenal League Cup win the year before where that side was all (except one) full Internationals.

PS Martin Peters and Alan Gilzean scored the goals against us at WHL.

My first ever game at Millmoor I saw Sammy Chung play for Watford in 1961, I think he was the first Chinese man to play in the football league. There were probably more famous players for Watford but that's as much as I remember cos it was quite a while back.

It’s got to be a few Man Utd 1966 FA Cup team.

We saw quite a lot of good players at Millmoor, as said Man utd Arsenal etc. Tha All church brothers & some good goal keepers in the years.

Bobby Moore and the gang when we played them in the league cup, at Millmoor. That is the first game i can recall, although i had been plenty of times before.

I’ve got to say the famous player that amazed me was Edgar Davids what a wonderful display of skills,best display I’ve ever seen against Rotherham.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast