+ Visit Burnley FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Dementia and football

Dementia and football

Bobby Charlton joins a list of some 300 footballers with this condition just after a Nobby Styles dies and Joins brother Jack, Martin Peters, George Cohen, Ray Wilson, Jeff Astle, Stan Bowles and many others.
    Horrible disease
    Jeff Astles daughter is trying to get it classified as an industrial disease so they can claim compensation.
    Last edited by oldcolner; 01-11-2020 at 07:56 PM.

People from all walks of life get Dementia OC.
    My best mate died from it a couple of years ago now. Don't think footballers are more likely to be o get it than anybody Else.
    Wouldnt wish it on my worst enemy having seen what it did to my best mate .Awful illness..

Quote Originally Posted by alfinyalcabo View Post
    People from all walks of life get Dementia OC.
    My best mate died from it a couple of years ago now. Don't think footballers are more likely to be o get it than anybody Else.
    Wouldnt wish it on my worst enemy having seen what it did to my best mate .Awful illness..
    Agree it’s my worst fear.
    A landmark study published last year showed ex-footballers participating in the study had three and a half times the death rate due to neurodegenerative conditions than the control group.

As a result of this study, the Football Association has released new guidelines advising children aged 11 and under should no longer be taught to head footballs in training.

More on here about Alzheimer’s.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/footb...entia-22548884

You’ll be aware that American Footballers have well documented evidence of brain damage but that’s from head To body clashes. Some very long lists here.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...encephalopathy
    Last edited by oldcolner; 01-11-2020 at 10:18 PM.

I honestly don't remember Bobby Charlton ever heading a ball. I suppose he must have done, but next up on the FIFA agenda will be to ban heading the ball altogether.

Quote Originally Posted by The Bedlington Terrier View Post
    I honestly don't remember Bobby Charlton ever heading a ball. I suppose he must have done, but next up on the FIFA agenda will be to ban heading the ball altogether.
    I only remember a couple myself, one a flick and one a bullet, but I guess they would do it in practice sessions. I think FIFA have gone as far as they will, until there is a class action like the US football had to contend with. The issue there was concussion from head tackles. Rugby took action to stop players with concussion carrying on in games and bannning them for I think 2 weeks. Football has a protocol for concussion

https://www.thefa.com/-/media/files/...019.ashx?la=en

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)