+ Visit Aberdeen FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Algorithmic scouting

Algorithmic scouting

I’ve been reading that Homo Deus recently. There’s a bit in it about a small baseball team who started scouting through an algorithm.. they were laughed at but it worked big time until the bigger richer teams cottoned on and were able to spend more on bigger and better programmes.
    Got me thinking about us here.. I reckon a spectrum 48k could replace Russ Richardson.

Is this feasibly something we could look into?

Quote Originally Posted by andoplzcumbak View Post
    I’ve been reading that Homo Deus recently. There’s a bit in it about a small baseball team who started scouting through an algorithm.. they were laughed at but it worked big time until the bigger richer teams cottoned on and were able to spend more on bigger and better programmes.
    Got me thinking about us here.. I reckon a spectrum 48k could replace Russ Richardson.

I had a Commodore 64 but my mate had a 48k plus with rubber keys and many a hour was whittled away playing Football Director, which had bugs on the C64 version.

Don't upset Russ though...he has an account on here called Main Stand Moan

Think we should just utilise Shaymondo’s contacts at Brentford - get Russ down in the Reliant Robin for the weekend to take a gander at the various packages they use and how they compile their data. Get a Hector/Maddison and Rooney lined up for next season before heading home and seeing if Stewartie will pay the WyScout subscription.

In the crushing disappointment of our chairman never being interested in running fan poll’s for next season’s strip - think they’re missing a trick by not running a be a scout for the season type competition which could be meticulously aired on RedTv. Russ whittles down all the applicants down to the one lucky individual who gets a brief to source on 5EF scouting software. Maybe throw in a couple of winter nights accompanying Russ to the English Division 2 reserve match on a winter’s night and finally gets an X-Factor type final in May beamed live on RedTv where season assessment takes place in front of the panel of Dirk, Doch, Stewartie and Russ.

Gives them a fabulous opportunity to pin the unsuccessful signings on the die-hard. Russ - ‘Aye, Wilson and Forrester were Vinny’s. I had another Ferguson and Lowe lined up.’. Scapegoated die-hard gets dunted and another lucky wannabe wins next season’s competition to begin it all again.

Fairly sure - they have a few people in the support base, whom entrusted with accounts into the scouting software and given a brief to narrow down realistic decent acquisitions, could keep Russ and the Robin busy enough and maybe enhance chances of adding to the gems he does occasionally come up with.

If I was Russ and I was actively looking in here - I would have got in touch with PacMan who has fairly been around the grounds this season to give him an email address to drop any potential hidden gems to. Got to be another Robertson at a Queens Park at some point - we could have a few fans on the case for the price of a ticket and a pie.

Quote Originally Posted by BogBrush1903 View Post
    I had a Commodore 64 but my mate had a 48k plus with rubber keys and many a hour was whittled away playing Football Director, which had bugs on the C64 version.

Don't upset Russ though...he has an account on here called Main Stand Moan
    I had an MSX which was far superior to the Spectrum with the rubber keys but they went out of business.

I spent a year trying to get by the first level of Operation Wolf only for it to crash.

I watched someone in Cadonas get to the last level.

Operation Wolf was based on my units escape from a top security prison. I was the only one that made it. If you got to level 50, you would’ve known that

Quote Originally Posted by Mason89 View Post
    Operation Wolf was based on my units escape from a top security prison. I was the only one that made it. If you got to level 50, you would’ve known that
    Give me a shout when you escape without a unit.

Quote Originally Posted by Aldo1983 View Post
    Give me a shout when you escape without a unit.
    It was a live ammo practice drill. Obviously I wouldn’t be captured by the enemy in the first place

Quote Originally Posted by Mason89 View Post
    It was a live ammo practice drill. Obviously I wouldn’t be captured by the enemy in the first place
    Practice?

Name:  9ec-01.jpeg
Views: 526
Size:  27.9 KB

Was that the Oakland As. The film Moneyball is about it. Which is good

Operation Wolf was good too

It's absolutely something we should look into. I assume that the algorithms use data from OPTA if that's the correct acronym. I have no idea which leagues actually have people collecting those stats, whether it goes down to the lower divisions either.

Our scouting is dire or so it seems. Rarely do we go for anyone left field, unexpected.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast