+ Visit Derby County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Now what's Mel's plan of action

Now what's Mel's plan of action

Is he planning on televising it himself then and splitting the income with leeds, not knocking him but don't understand what he's trying to achieve

Can imagine too many fans would turn out for a mid season friendy, even against dirty Leeds

Completely bonkers idea! Why risk injury to players towards the end of the season in a meaningless friendly and surely many players will be missing on international duty won't they?

Meaningless in our eyes but to Mel who's trying to prove something to the FL then it clearly means a lot more and is worth it, how I'm no expert on this but if this extra game is outside of any contract we have with the FL and we don't know if it will or won't then he's probably going to sell the television rights to sky or BT and split the money down the middle, the current deal championship clubs get compared to PL has got his back up, PL = £11m for each televised game, C/Ship = £600k for each televised game.........I can see where he's coming from can't you, he wrote to every FL club owner asking for support looks like he found an ally in Leeds whose owner once tried to ban sky cameras from Elland Rd, he's doing it for the benefit of all clubs

On a historical note, is anyone ancient enough to recall the first and last time an English club banned the cameras from televising a game?

Quote Originally Posted by StensonRam View Post
    Meaningless in our eyes but to Mel who's trying to prove something to the FL then it clearly means a lot more and is worth it, how I'm no expert on this but if this extra game is outside of any contract we have with the FL and we don't know if it will or won't then he's probably going to sell the television rights to sky or BT and split the money down the middle, the current deal championship clubs get compared to PL has got his back up, PL = £11m for each televised game, C/Ship = £600k for each televised game.........I can see where he's coming from can't you, he wrote to every FL club owner asking for support looks like he found an ally in Leeds whose owner once tried to ban sky cameras from Elland Rd, he's doing it for the benefit of all clubs
    I can see where he's coming from but risking players in a friendly match at that stage of the season is silly - surely there are more effective ways to motivate the other FL clubs towards a more equitable TV deal that do not involve possibly jeopardising his own club's results. There is also the prospect of no one being interested in the game leaving Mel with a considerable amount of egg on his face. If this really is a serious proposal I think it has not been properly thought through and, to be honest, I can't think why we would want to ally ourselves to a club like Leeds with its current owners. That all leaves aside the issue of who might be available to play after international calls are taken into account!

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)