I don't know the in's and out's of the Man City situation, but I think i's somewhat ironic for UEFA to be citing any club for lack of fairness given their own lack of fair play when it comes to their own competitions which pander to the big leagues in Europe and pander to the bigger clubs within those league.

Automatic qualification to the group stages of the "Champions League" for the champions and a few of their mates from the bigger leagues whilst the champions from the lesser leagues have play numerous qualifiers for a limited number of spots. Then the team that finishes third is parachuted into the Europa League (which has a similar initial qualifying criteria then the "CL") when the EL has already played numerous games already.

Then there's the ridiculous financial rewards which stifle as opposed to promote competition within leagues. As an example, a few seasons ago, Celtic received upwards of £30m for winning one game out of six in the group stages. As a "bonus?" Other clubs in Scotland received less than 1% of this. How is this going to promote competition. The strong get stronger domestically, no matter how mediocre they've been in Europe, and the remaining teams live off scraps.

Fair play. Pay!