+ Visit Portsmouth FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Team for next year

Team for next year

... .. Henderson / Ashdown / Carson ...

RB ... CB ... Whatmough ... Shorey

... Diagouraga .. ... Hollands(c)...

... ... ... Fogden ... ... ...

... Wallace ... ... ... ... Holmes

... ... ... ... Taylor ... ... ...

Last chance saloon / make or break season

Magri - out of contract at QPR - worth a punt?
    Webster - still learning
    Bradley - has the physical attributes, can AA teach him to defend?
    Butler - can he make the pro level?
    Padovani - showed some talent - can he cut it?

Players we are stuck with for another year unless we can get rid of them

Barcham - injury prone
    Ertl - No
    East - Could do, but injury prone
    Ferry - Good player, useless for us due to injury
    Craddock - injury prone
    Devera - No
    Chorley - Huge discipline issues, and came back for 2 games, we conceded seven! - I'm no longer convinced

re: Team for next year

Diagoura-no chance. As Mick Williams would say, budgets budgets budgets...

I suggest we let the pricks in my no hopers list go, and spend it on a player.

How much was the high flying 3rd division (when he signed) Brentford midfielder on then?

And I believe he is out of contract at the end of the season.

I would love him to come to us. Awfs is no mugs he understands what is needed to get promotion.. can he deliver is the question?

Any successful side needs to be strong through out the spine.

From keeper quality centre half 2 centre mid players and a striker all need to be quality.

From what we have currently I can only see centre mid as good enough.

Fogden/holland/ferry and if we get the Brentford lad.

Carson was ok but not convinced he is top draw.

Our skipper is a liability as shown in last 2 games and young Whatmough has a couple of years learning yet before he can be considered top class.

As for striker we need a guy like Guy to bang the goals in

Guy/Garwood/Biley type is missing.

I expect our first eleven to be something like this:

Carson (or maybe Ashdown?)

New RB
    New CB
    Whatmough
    Shorey

Ferry (If he stays fit)
    Hollands (If he stays)

Barcham (or new winger)
    Fogden
    Holmes

Taylor

Not convinced that Webster will ever be good enough defensively. Chorley was good when he first arrived but not sure if he's the long-term answer. I expect Whatmough to be used more often although not to play every game.

Bradley may yet develop into a good player if he ever learns to concentrate. Devera is a good centre back at this level if he has a more intelligent player to work alongside him, so perhaps those two can stay too? N'Gala isn't good enough and needs to be shown the door.

It would be brilliant if Hollands stays but he's too good for this division and someone higher up is probably going to snap him up. Ferry is worth keeping if he stays fit but hopefully Diagouaraga will be seen surplus to requirements at Brentford now they've gone up and we can snap him up.

I can

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)