+ Visit Portsmouth FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The new West ham?

The new West ham?

It's well documented that West ham won the world cup in 66, anyone else see the similarities this year?

We have an unfashionable centre forward in Lambert for Hurst.

An intelligent midfielder in Lalana for Peters and a cultured defender in Shaw for Moore.

Couldn't happen could it?

No doubt the usual moaners will offer the predictable tripe, we can't win it, not fit to lace the boots of the legends etc etc.

So easy to predict failure isn't it? Especially when playing against the worlds best, it would be easy to predict a horse that won't win a 32 horse race, far hard to pick the winner as any bookmaker will testify.

In 66 the experts predicted failure for the wingless wonders, how can you drop Jimmy Greaves, who the hell is Roger Hunt? Stiles is a donkey they said.

History tells the story, outrageous fortune turned our way as so often it does for those who dare.

I 4 1 hope to hear a torrent of bragging from the west in a few weeks, bring it on.

re: The new West ham?

Ten years ago, a certain Mediterranean team won the 2004 Euros.

No one predicted that, as far as I know.

You were doing ok until you compared Shaw with Moore...
    Shaw won't even be first choice if Baines is fit.
    Unfortunately taking Moores place will either be Jagielka or Cahill.
    Neither would get into most of the real top teams sides...
    The front men don't exactly fill you with confidence..imagine if you had to rely on Welbeck to score...
    My prediction is we'll struggle to get out of our group.

I think we will do reasonably well, as usual a lot will depent on the officials, (I'm thinking of the Lampard goal v Germany a while ago, and of course dirty little Maradona's so called hand of God).

Top four in the betting Brazil, Argentina, Germany, Spain.
    Who in the England squad could get in any one of those teams?
    i.m.o. None

They have always had some very good players in their team yet win nothing. I hope Shaw,Lallana and Lambert have a fantastic world cup.

I have a sneaking suspicion that Belgium could shake up the old guard if they start playing as a team.

And you think all three of them will be still be southampton players come the World Cup...really..

In addition to the Euro' 2004 post I give you Denmark, sometime in the '90's (maybe '92?). Drafted in at the last minute and little time together, when all the accepted wisdom is that you need to have players for weeks before in order to prepare. They only went on to win it!
    Accepted wisdom isn't always right so while I wait for us to lose on penalties again I'll hope the OP is right.

Ours on the cup consider the omens.

Austria won the eurovision.
    A team comes from 2 down to win the fa cup.
    England play uruguay in the finals
    Real Madrid won the european cup
    Jack Brabham is in the news
    A heavyweight boxing champion gets political

And thanks to the ECB the England cricket team is carp again.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)