+ Visit Wolverhampton Wanderers FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Nice bit of nostalgia.

Nice bit of nostalgia.

Found this while poking around the West Ham board. A classic hat trick from George Best. - view external link

re: Nice bit of nostalgia.

The third was a beauty, and typical of him. Hard to believe they were relegated three years later. Things can change so quickly (but we know all about that don't we).

Quote Originally Posted by peterknowlesburnside
    The third was a beauty, and typical of him. Hard to believe they were relegated three years later. Things can change so quickly (but we know all about that don't we).
    There were quite a few big players coming to the end of their "useful" lives in that team. I think maybe best was one of them despite that hat trick. It was a surprise went they went down insomuch as it was Man Utd, but with regard to performances on the field the writing was on the wall.

Quote Originally Posted by WOODLANDSWOLF
    There were quite a few big players coming to the end of their "useful" lives in that team. I think maybe best was one of them despite that hat trick. It was a surprise went they went down insomuch as it was Man Utd, but with regard to performances on the field the writing was on the wall.[/quote]

The goal that sent them down, scored by Dennis Law of all people. I remember this very well. Nice build up to the goal, but holy crap look how much space Colin Bell gets in midfield! - view external link

27th January 1973 Nice win at home against Liverpool, talking of Nostalgia and how times have changed check out Larry Lloyd's 'challenge' on the Doog at about 2 mins! that just about got a booking! oh and BTW the singing back then, was everybody on Mogadon!!
    Link below. - view external link

And this is just pure Nostalgic Bliss squeezed into 35 Glorious minutes Your very own Wolverhampton Wanderers v Arsenal(The Double Holders)! 20th November 1971, enjoy!
    Link Below.. - view external link

Thanks for that, Eve. For me it was just great to see those players in action again. Not surprising that team went on to have several years as a truly leading top-flight club.

Quote Originally Posted by Evewolf65
    And this is just pure Nostalgic Bliss squeezed into 35 Glorious minutes Your very own Wolverhampton Wanderers v Arsenal(The Double Holders)! 20th November 1971, enjoy!
    Link Below..
    Superb 30 mins entertainment mate. Thanks. I was stood on the South Bank that night, remember it like it was yesterday.

Quote Originally Posted by Evewolf65
    27th January 1973 Nice win at home against Liverpool, talking of Nostalgia and how times have changed check out Larry Lloyd's 'challenge' on the Doog at about 2 mins! that just about got a booking! oh and BTW the singing back then, was everybody on Mogadon!!
    Link below.
    Now this one sticks in my mind because I spent the ninety mins in the North Bank, pressed up against a nice bit of stuff from Low Hill. We later had a very pleasant walk home together that included Fish and Chips and a lengthy recreational break in Fowlers Park.

Ah the Seventies, what a decade, if only you could turn the clocks back.

Another bit of Dennis Law trivia. I remember this, but as well as I thought because I thought it was the result of floodlight failure and the opponent was Crystal Palace! Well, it was the sixties. :-S

"Amazingly Denis Law scored 6 goals for Manchester City in an FA Cup tie against Luton Town on January 28th 1961 but still finished on the losing side!

That fourth round tie at Kenilworth Road was abandoned after 69 minutes because of a waterlogged pitch with City winning 6-2 and Law having scored all their goals. The two sides had to start again from scratch on February 1st and this time Luton emerged as the winners, by a 3-1 margin, with Denis Law again scoring for City.

The six goals that Law scored in the first match were expunged from the record book. If they had stood the Scotsman would have finished the 20th Century as the century's top FA Cup goalscorer. Instead that honour went to Ian Rush with 44 FA Cup goals (Liverpool 39, Chester 4 and Newcastle United 1). Denis Law finis

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)