+ Visit Sheffield Wednesday FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gone for a Burton

Gone for a Burton

Disappointing but kind of expected, I wonder if the team have a psychological thing happening when playing teams they expect to get points from...last year we lost to all the relegated sides, hope I'm wrong but I'd expect a lot more against Leeds...also with Lees being out it really highlights our need for centre back cover.

Aren’t you crediting Burton’s win to the tactical genius in their dug out. banno will be happy, he’s apparently a big admirer.

Tonight’s entertainment at the Lane hasn’t put me in the right frame of mood to talk in the language of footy. But Semedo and Hutchinson as your central defensive pairing, what’s going on there? And despite dominating possession Burton dominated the shots with a total of 17, 9 being on target.

Played 4 – W1, D1, L2. Secondseasonitis for the Portuguese journeyman? Not the sort of form I’d expect from your Shankly (another dig at banno there).

Quote Originally Posted by Katchouro View Post
    Aren’t you crediting Burton’s win to the tactical genius in their dug out. banno will be happy, he’s apparently a big admirer.

Tonight’s entertainment at the Lane hasn’t put me in the right frame of mood to talk in the language of footy. But Semedo and Hutchinson as your central defensive pairing, what’s going on there? And despite dominating possession Burton dominated the shots with a total of 17, 9 being on target.

Played 4 – W1, D1, L2. Secondseasonitis for the Portuguese journeyman? Not the sort of form I’d expect from your Shankly (another dig at banno there).

Clough had a game plan & stuck to it, caused us problems at the back, not helped by Lees being injured before the start & then Semedo, bringing Pudil into the middle & putting Palmer at left back didn't foster strength where we are normally strong but, credit to Burton they deserved their win.

Our form(performance)is OK, you can't count the league cup farce...best thing about football is there's always the next match.

Southend showed us how you put a lesser side to the sword, away from home........I thought WE were still in league one, when I saw Semedo and then Palmer on the pitch...shouldn't be anywhere near....For god's sake hurry up and get those defenders in DC.....I think David Jones will be a good midfield addition, in such games.....Well done Burton....Aaaggh.

I’m afraid lock up your daughters perma tan man and his Sarfend team didn’t really need to showcase how to do anything, the Sheffield United **** show gifted them the win. Wilder’s lads must have all been playing Pokemon Go since the Dale game, they’d clearly not been training.

If there’s one thing about Clough he’s a belligerent sod and he’ll pull unlikely victories out of the blue while contriving to lose bankers. Seems to do his homework for certain games and not for others.

Big game against Leeds coming up. Not even the end of August yet and two managers under pressure, Monk might not see September out.

Our game plan against so-called relegation favourites needs looking at. Last night we were bullied; we tried passing the opposition to death, while the opposition went direct and didn’t give us any time on the ball.

This isn’t a dig at Burton. I was impressed with their game plan and we certainly won’t be the last team to have ‘gone for a Burton’ at the Pirelli Stadium.

We swiftly move on and prepare for the Yorkshire derby against Leeds on Saturday. Carlos will get them playing - just like he did last season after a wobbly start to the season.

We are missing the injured Lees and Loovens, which is major loss at the minute. We need cover and we need it fast.

Anyway, talking of stats...

Katch's team mustered up two shots on target in 180 minutes of football against Southend and Rochdale, despite having a number of ‘up and coming’ new signings.

TWO SHOTS ON TARGET.

ONE HUNDRED AND EIGHTY MINUTES OF FOOTBALL.

Not sure about secondseasonitis as we have the same points as we did from our first 3 games last season.
    We took 1 point from away games against the 3 relegated teams Bolton, Charlton & MK Dons last season, I expect Burton to struggle this season so it's disappointing that we seem to slip up against the strugglers.

Can't argue with anyone questioning the defence. Carvalhal has said since the start of the season he wants another centre back in and I don't blame him for not just wanting a panic-buy but it should have been sorted by now.
    Semedo did ok considering but once he went off injured we were screwed, the like of height and positional awareness we had in that key position against a physical attack was bound to leave us vulnerable.

Dielna’s not the greatest of defenders but you’d have to question the wisdom of loaning him out without a replacement – and Helan now seems to have dropped out of Kickaball’s plans. The problem you have is that of the defenders of the quality you want to attract not many of them will want to come and sit on the bench behind Lees and Loovens. Juggling a successful squad causes all sorts of problems, it’ll be a task to keep all your strikers happy.

Good to see you offering a bit of criticism for a change rov, even if it accompanies a rather lazy attack on the marquee club. Let’s see more of it, no more sitting on the fence playing it safe – say what you feel.

The shankly comment was just for you, I knew you'd pick up on it.

Quote Originally Posted by micklyons1hardbstd View Post
    Southend showed us how you put a lesser side to the sword, away from home........I thought WE were still in league one, when I saw Semedo and then Palmer on the pitch...shouldn't be anywhere near....For god's sake hurry up and get those defenders in DC.....I think David Jones will be a good midfield addition, in such games.....Well done Burton....Aaaggh.

It's all about opinions but I've always liked Palmer and never understood the criticism he gets on owlstalk.
    Imo he's the best full back at the club. Not the best going forward but defensively. Pudil is the one I've got issue with, never seems to try and stop crosses coming in.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)