+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Old Meadow Lane Ground Improvements

Old Meadow Lane Ground Improvements

Intriguing photo of the Meadow Lane end in 1934, looks like the entire roof was replaced that summer. Other similar photos taken the same day show that only the skeleton structure is in place and you can see through the top of it to the terraces underneath. Old scoreboard is on the left (I think a bigger one might have replaced the version seen here at some stage before the Shipstones one went up on top of the Kop in 1963).

Other work carried out in 1934 included 'tip-up' seats in the main stand replacing existing seats which must have been fixed and difficult to move past other people sat on the same row, apparently Arsenal were the only other club had this new type of seat at the time. A new directors room was also built.

We'd just finished level on points with Forest in the 2nd tier but then appointed the worst manager of all time - worse than Fullarton, - Charlie Jones, an ex-Fword player who was in charge for 17 games, he won 1 Drew 4 and lost 12 before he resigned in December 1934 with the club rock bottom and destined for the 3rd tier South.

Have also put a date to seats first being installed on County Road (at the back in the center), it was November 1974 in time for the game against Millwall.

Intriguing, looking at the top left corner of the photo it looks like buildings or yards where the junction is now - or did the club have to buy some land to expand the ground?
    Charlie Jones - did he jump or was he pushed!

Quote Originally Posted by Riverleeno View Post
    Charlie Jones - did he jump or was he pushed!
    There's some on here who'd give him two seasons at least before giving him the push.

Quote Originally Posted by LaxtonLad View Post
    There's some on here who'd give him two seasons at least before giving him the push.
    Give us a clue LaxtonLad
    LOL
    Last edited by SwalePie; 17-08-2020 at 03:39 PM. Reason: Fixed quote code error

The allotments are still behind "County Road" at this time (so despite the new Triangle gabled stand being 9 years old, it was still "The Steinton Side" here). The new road was proposed in 1930, I think I saw something about it mentioned in relation to the abattoir in 1935 so it was probably built very soon after this photo was taken.

Charlie Jones (100 apps for Fword before joining Arsenal) resigned. IIRC a director had resigned just before he came in, Horace Henshall - the previous manager - became "secretary" but then he only lasted another year in that role, so it was a pretty turbulent period for the club. Fword were not doing much better and struggled to avoid joining us in D3 South pre-war and eventually did so after it was over.
    We had a really good manager circa 1937 in Jimmy McMorran, a Scot who had a very good record indeed, missed promotion by losing our final home game but were top again the following Xmas and then he got poached by Sheff Wed (similar to Wilkinson... and Sewell. Sheff Wed have got a lot to answer for, in fact Sheffield in general as United poached Sirrel).

Can anybody confirm whether or not that scoreboard is the same one that stood there pre-Shipstones/Kop scorebaord or was there another one in that spot?

Slightly different angle of 1934 pic....

Quote Originally Posted by upthemaggies View Post
    The allotments are still behind "County Road" at this time (so despite the new Triangle gabled stand being 9 years old, it was still "The Steinton Side" here). The new road was proposed in 1930, I think I saw something about it mentioned in relation to the abattoir in 1935 so it was probably built very soon after this photo was taken.

Charlie Jones (100 apps for Fword before joining Arsenal) resigned. IIRC a director had resigned just before he came in, Horace Henshall - the previous manager - became "secretary" but then he only lasted another year in that role, so it was a pretty turbulent period for the club. Fword were not doing much better and struggled to avoid joining us in D3 South pre-war and eventually did so after it was over.
    We had a really good manager circa 1937 in Jimmy McMorran, a Scot who had a very good record indeed, missed promotion by losing our final home game but were top again the following Xmas and then he got poached by Sheff Wed (similar to Wilkinson... and Sewell. Sheff Wed have got a lot to answer for, in fact Sheffield in general as United poached Sirrel).

Can anybody confirm whether or not that scoreboard is the same one that stood there pre-Shipstones/Kop scorebaord or was there another one in that spot?

Slightly different angle of 1934 pic....
    At a guess, I'd say a different scoreboard. If I remember rightly the one on the kop had glass front top to bottom, that one is only glass top half, maybe it is the same & they did modifications to it?

My Dad played bowls with Horace, nice man.

Quote Originally Posted by jonnyt1 View Post
    My Dad played bowls with Horace, nice man.
    Most people use bowls.

Top - Close up of the scoreboard in 1934, you can see a clock on the right hand side.

Bottom - Same corner taken in 1962, shortly before the floodlights were upgraded.

Quote Originally Posted by LaxtonLad View Post
    Thank goodness

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast