+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 1 hello and 2 points to ponder

1 hello and 2 points to ponder

So, after two weeks, I have finally had my account verified (yay!)

After many years of watching the forum from Warneyland (Norfolk) I feel slightly better placed to comment on the boys and how the season is going as I'm not just relying on the handful of games I get to a year and 2 minutes of highlights on a Saturday.

So yes, this is a hello to one and all, I do hope you're all well. Just a couple of points to ponder before tomorrow

1. Right back. Personally I think Harding has grown week by week into the season, definitely has benefited from a regular run of games which he obviously never got a B'ham. However, I really rate Olosunde, fantastic last season and against Preston he slotted straight back in and performed really well. With Mattock questionable for tomorrow should we persist with Harding at left back? And beyond that do you think he could make it his own even though he is right footed? Asking from a place of being more concerned with Mattocks lack of pace unfortunately. Or could Matt go to the left? I wouldn't want either to be left out.

2. Presuming we go 5 across the middle tomorrow, we are away after all so a high probability we will, who do you think we should play in the middle? For me its Lindsay, Barlaser and Wiles. Dynamism, energy and a little bit of bite. If we play those three like we did against Luton before Mattocks injury should we play lindsay in the pocket in front of the back four to break things up or barlaser as he is obviously better at linking the defence to midfield. Add to that lindsay has popped up on the edge of the opposition's box on quite a few occasions which Dan doesn't. That will be important as we will have someone ploughing a lonely furrow no doubt so we need legs up to support. I think like most I prefer Ben in the middle as he tends to run down blind alleys on the wing.

Apologies for the lengthy thread, I shall now take a breath

Hi Kempo.

Seriously, welcome aboard mate. Good opening post. I'm with you 100% re Wilesey.

Hi MillersTime welcome
    1 I think either Harding or Olosunde are well capable of playing left back as Olosunde has played there before but I think if Mattock is fit Warney will play him and Harding on the right with Olosunde as sub

2 I agree with your middle 3 with Crooks to come on as sub for me Barlaser playing the deeper role as Lindsey can break up the play a bit higher up the field . But they already seem to have a good relationship and interchange as and when

It's good to answer someone who wants to talk about football and not just moan about the manager or the players

Quote Originally Posted by redhouse View Post
    Hi MillersTime welcome
    1 I think either Harding or Olosunde are well capable of playing left back as Olosunde has played there before but I think if Mattock is fit Warney will play him and Harding on the right with Olosunde as sub

2 I agree with your middle 3 with Crooks to come on as sub for me Barlaser playing the deeper role as Lindsey can break up the play a bit higher up the field . But they already seem to have a good relationship and interchange as and when

It's good to answer someone who wants to talk about football and not just moan about the manager or the players
    Well keeping away from criticising St Paul who can do no wrong.

Its good that there's competition for places and yes we are likely to play 5 across the middle because that's plan A and we don't have a plan B

Hi Mandy.

I think it is likely the boss will revert back to Mattock at LB whenever he feels he is ready given the balance he provides being left footed but I definitely feel as though we will be weakened overall with his return. Especially if we play Woody beside Mattock, Wednesday tactics (first 20 mins) of playing it over the top of them to run in behind will translate to a whole game with other teams...

100% with crooks coming on at the moment. He still feels just a yard off, the will is there but he is getting played around, those fractions in being late are the difference between him pressing successfully or leaving a gaping, tree sized hole for someone to burst into.

My own take on plan A vs plan B isn't so much about formation but personnel in terms of subs. For example, Ladapo plays up front alone, burns out, we turn to the bench, we take off Ladapo and say Jozefzoon from the wing to replace them with Smithy and Hirst. We have taken off a box player who, whilst not firing on all cylinders, is still a likelier goal getter than others and a winger who takes people on, gets in behind, crosses etc for two 6ft plus strikers whose strengths arent mobility nor creativity. 9/10 we then lose the natural width we have, barlaser has his options limited to spray it about and as a result we resort to lumping it up top to the big boys. At this level the defenders wont worry about that, meat and drink for them to deal with. We get frustrated and then it all goes to pot and we look somehow even less likely to score than when we have one striker on the pitch. We start with two wingers and then when we go to the bench there isn't replacements for the wing. Nobody. I agree that playing two up top or one just off a main striker with the two natural wingers is something we should do more often but when that plan doesnt work or needs freshening the options just arent there to back it up like for like. But doing this such as smithy and Hurst together belies all logic to me, they dont work, why would they as they are pretty alike in stature. One with ladapo for me but then you sacrifice a midfielder for a big striker who dont look like scoring and who dont actually win too many headers etc. It is a conundrum. I look forward to Ogbene coming back, that's what I will be wanting for xmas.

Absolutely no idea who mandy or Kempo are, oops

I like Harding, possibly the pick of the permanent signings.
    I would play him at right back and Matt Olosunde at left back, they can always swap position if things are not working out.
    Forget Mattock for Swansea and give him a little more time to recover rather than aggravate his recent hamstring injury.
    Wiles, Barlaser, Lindsay across the middle sounds good.
    Miller and Zoon out wide with Ladapo up front. Plenty of pace up front and as strong a midfield as we've got.

U.T.M........Swansea 2-2 Millers.

Can’t see there being many goals in this game, 0-0 maybe 1-0

Quote Originally Posted by MillersTime View Post
    I think it is likely the boss will revert back to Mattock at LB whenever he feels he is ready given the balance he provides being left footed but I definitely feel as though we will be weakened overall with his return. Especially if we play Woody beside Mattock, Wednesday tactics (first 20 mins) of playing it over the top of them to run in behind will translate to a whole game with other teams...

100% with crooks coming on at the moment. He still feels just a yard off, the will is there but he is getting played around, those fractions in being late are the difference between him pressing successfully or leaving a gaping, tree sized hole for someone to burst into.

My own take on plan A vs plan B isn't so much about formation but personnel in terms of subs. For example, Ladapo plays up front alone, burns out, we turn to the bench, we take off Ladapo and say Jozefzoon from the wing to replace them with Smithy and Hirst. We have taken off a box player who, whilst not firing on all cylinders, is still a likelier goal getter than others and a winger who takes people on, gets in behind, crosses etc for two 6ft plus strikers whose strengths arent mobility nor creativity. 9/10 we then lose the natural width we have, barlaser has his options limited to spray it about and as a result we resort to lumping it up top to the big boys. At this level the defenders wont worry about that, meat and drink for them to deal with. We get frustrated and then it all goes to pot and we look somehow even less likely to score than when we have one striker on the pitch. We start with two wingers and then when we go to the bench there isn't replacements for the wing. Nobody. I agree that playing two up top or one just off a main striker with the two natural wingers is something we should do more often but when that plan doesnt work or needs freshening the options just arent there to back it up like for like. But doing this such as smithy and Hurst together belies all logic to me, they dont work, why would they as they are pretty alike in stature. One with ladapo for me but then you sacrifice a midfielder for a big striker who dont look like scoring and who dont actually win too many headers etc. It is a conundrum. I look forward to Ogbene coming back, that's what I will be wanting for xmas.
    That's one heck of an assessment from watching two minutes of highlights. After I've watched those same highlights I can't even remember what colour shirts we were wearing.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast