+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: O/T:- I actually enjoyed watching the Olympics

O/T:- I actually enjoyed watching the Olympics

I wasn’t all that interested in the olympics but watched a bit, got hooked and by the end I really enjoyed it.
    Last edited by SwalePie; 08-08-2021 at 03:07 PM. Reason: Corrected Off Topic prefix etc.

I love it! So lovely to watch all the sports that we wouldn't normally see and dedicated athletes at the top of their game. I find it far more interesting than football these days.

I just feel sorry for the Japanese who weren't able to show off their capital or their culture as much as they would have liked to due to Covid. During the Rio games the BBC in particular immersed itself into the city and really brought us a slice of Brazil. This wasn't possible this year.

Really enjoyed it too. As good an Olympics as there could be without crowds. So organised, so well run, so respectful, so classy.

Having been to Tokyo just a few years ago it's gutting that the Japanese couldn't invite the world to their amazing city and country. Back in 2018 they were already well on the way with preparations in the capital in terms of making easy for visitors to navigate the city and enjoy the games. There was a lot of talk about the summer Olympics during that years winter Olympics.

I look forward to going back one day, these Olympics have only reaffirmed this desire.

I would enjoy watching the olympics if I could find a neutral broadcaster that didn’t constantly bang on about their own country’s athletes, but rather celebrated all of the athletes (or at least the best ones) and their achievements regardless of where they come from. I’m not sure what it’s like in the uk but if I turn it on here then all you hear is ‘Canada this’ and ‘Canada that’. The American channels are likewise over the top with coverage of their athletes.

So I don’t bother watching.

Quote Originally Posted by andy6025 View Post
    I would enjoy watching the olympics if I could find a neutral broadcaster that didn’t constantly bang on about their own country’s athletes, but rather celebrated all of the athletes (or at least the best ones) and their achievements regardless of where they come from. I’m not sure what it’s like in the uk but if I turn it on here then all you hear is ‘Canada this’ and ‘Canada that’. The American channels are likewise over the top with coverage of their athletes.

It’s where the BBC comes into its own, they celebrate San Marino as much as GB.

It was amusing to see the major US news outlets 'customised' the medal table to show USA on top ahead of China based on all medals won, despite the convention internationally of listing based on the gold medal total.

I’ve seen both the Aussie and the US coverage of the Olympics and can confirm the same rampant nationalism abounds.

I didn’t see much of the Olympics but a lot of what I did see was fantastic. Easy to be too football focused.

Always enjoy the Olympics but like any sport at the top level, it's impressive see the skill and discipline involved.

Loved most of it but have no time for football, tennis and golf which have enough airtime and commercial benefits outside the Olympic arena

Quote Originally Posted by Notts66 View Post
    Loved most of it but have no time for football, tennis and golf which have enough airtime and commercial benefits outside the Olympic arena
    I'm with you there. I thought the new sports this year were a highlight and the break dancing in Paris should be good too.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast