+ Visit Carlisle United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Loan Striker arrives from Aston Villa

Loan Striker arrives from Aston Villa

Scored twenty-one goals across all his reserve fixtures for Villa last year, plus the brace mentioned this term in the article.

He obviously knows where the goal is, it's just a question of whether he can continue this type of form in a first time environment and whether he gets a fair opportunity.

I remember Trevor Francis breaking through in the old first division at Birmingham City as a 16 year old (15 goals in his first 22 games).

Similarly George McVitie and Peter Beardsley at Carlisle.

George was a regular in the old second division when he was 17, Peter when he was 18.

I know the game has changed over the years but, at our level, I really don't understand why so many young footballers are held back so long before being given a decent opportunity.

If they can't deliver the goods in Division 4 by the time they are aged 19 or 20, the chances of them making the grade as professional footballers must be remote.

I suppose the downside to this is it means opportunities for Fishburn will be almost non existent. He's the same age as Young and was being touted as "one of the best in the country for his age group" a few weeks ago.

I wonder if we could persuade a Conference team to take Fishburn on loan? Anything lower in standard would be a bit pointless.

Fishburn on loan to Lancaster City till January.

At times it feel more like ‘lone striker’ rather than loan.

Two goals on his debut for Fishburn...

Hat-trick today for Fishburn in game two.

Five goals in two games.

And we loaned him out why?

I know one thing Carlisle have not been tested yet from the teams we have played so far.Will be interesting to see how they perform when really tested with the lack of goals taken into consideration.

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)