+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: O/T R I P Lester Piggott

O/T R I P Lester Piggott

One of the all time great flat jockeys. Most winning Derby jockey 9 wins.
    Last edited by gru; 29-05-2022 at 08:49 AM. Reason: Missed O/T

RIP Lester

Dad was a bit of a gambler so I was brought up with knowing these these jockeys but I never gamble myself

Yes RIP lester, although he won f**k all for me when I backed him back in the day 😖

Just received a message to say Lester's funeral is next week at 20/1.

He was the Queen Mother's favourite jockey but alas fell foul of the law and out of favour with his knighthood stripped while others holding titles still hold theirs? Not excusing what he did though. He should have employed Ken Dodd's accountant.

RIP Lester you were a true champion and current record holder which is unlikely to ever be broken.

Sad to hear this but not a man you could take to easily. Sat across from him on a flight from the Bahamas to London in the early 1980s and we were diverted to Bermuda because of engine trouble. We all had to overnight in a hotel there while it was fixed. He was still racing then and presumably was going to miss a meeting and some money. Got very grumpy with everybody. Had a hatchet face at the best of times but I had the impression he was by nature an unpleasant character.

Quote Originally Posted by CTMilller View Post
    Sad to hear this but not a man you could take to easily. Sat across from him on a flight from the Bahamas to London in the early 1980s and we were diverted to Bermuda because of engine trouble. We all had to overnight in a hotel there while it was fixed. He was still racing then and presumably was going to miss a meeting and some money. Got very grumpy with everybody. Had a hatchet face at the best of times but I had the impression he was by nature an unpleasant character.
    Neigh lad that can't be reight. As I recall you had all on understanding what he was saying, not to speak ill of the dead of course.

Quote Originally Posted by Brin View Post
    Neigh lad that can't be reight. As I recall you had all on understanding what he was saying, not to speak ill of the dead of course.
    😉

Lester had an inoperative cleft palate which affected his speech. My dad was a big racing man and his ploy was to get me to get jockey's autographs pre race and ask them if they had a chance of winning. I can vaguely recall the great man putting us on a good priced winner !!