+ Visit Aberdeen FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Our Cup Winner's Cup replica trophy

Our Cup Winner's Cup replica trophy

I mind reading somewhere years ago (maybe on a Dons forum, I don't remember) that UEFA gave all the winners of the ECWC a smaller replica of the trophy. However, when Fergie brought Manchester United up for the Tall Ships Challenge Match in 1991, he brought the cup with him (United won it that year) and a full-size replica was made in Aberdeen, much to the chagrin of UEFA.

Can anyone confirm if this is true?

I think it’s the Super Cup er….cup.

We got a plaque for being the bosses of all Europe, described by my late pal on the night, “Look, Willie Miller’s got a hud o’ Gunther Netzer’s P45”. When Manchester United won the Super Cup, they were given an actual cup, and for some reason ended up with two such trophies, the club, or the AFC Heritage Trust (my memory is hazy) bought the spare from the inferior club that Fergie left us for in November 1986.

https://www.afcheritage.org/articles...&type=trophies

The Trust is doing terrific work in archiving the Dons’ history, but its efforts are voluntary and it has operating costs. If you do visit, please consider clicking on the “donate” button and give a quid or two to a most deserving cause.
    Last edited by 57vintage; 04-05-2023 at 08:56 PM.

I thought that UEFA recently gave all the past winners of the Super Cup a replica of the newer trophy? I might be speaking pish again, though, because I couldn't find anything about it.

There is a what looks like a replica of the super cup behind Wille Miller in that TV programme yesterday