+ Visit West Bromwich Albion FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Women’s Tennis

Women’s Tennis

Whilst you would expect more strength and power in men’s tennis - women’s tennis is crap!

Why two sets? So the final yesterday was around 1 hour and 3 mins. One game in todays men’s final was a third of that time. Equal pay - complete b ollox!!

Not much quality either - lots of double faults - hitting the net and no rally’s!

Not impressed!!

PS - we should ask Katie Boulter to be Baggie Bird!

Quote Originally Posted by baggieal View Post
    Whilst you would expect more strength and power in men’s tennis - women’s tennis is crap!

Why two sets? So the final yesterday was around 1 hour and 3 mins. One game in todays men’s final was a third of that time. Equal pay - complete b ollox!!

Not much quality either - lots of double faults - hitting the net and no rally’s!

Not impressed!!

Gone fishing eh Al? 😆

Have to agree though. I'm watching Alcaraz Vs Djokovic just now and it's tremendous viewing. Fitness levels unbelievable

Women are just about to get equal pay at all tennis tournaments.

If I was a woman, I’d like to think I’d be happy to accept lower pay than for men due to the reduced quality of play and the fewer number of sets played.

There’s so many people pushing equality that tennis has been forced into this.

Good luck to any woman expecting £400k a week for playing football though.

Quote Originally Posted by mickd1961 View Post
    Women are just about to get equal pay at all tennis tournaments.

If I was a woman, I’d like to think I’d be happy to accept lower pay than for men due to the reduced quality of play and the fewer number of sets played.

There’s so many people pushing equality that tennis has been forced into this.

Good luck to any woman expecting £400k a week for playing football though.
    Hi Mick,, does your sales go up during Wimbledon.

That Alcaraz is some player

If he can get more of his first serves in and stops trying the odd lob that tries to knock the local aircraft out of the sky then he is gonna be unstoppable for some years to come

Quote Originally Posted by baggieal View Post

Not impressed!!

You should see them when they get behind a steering wheel.

Quote Originally Posted by soulman101 View Post
    Hi Mick,, does your sales go up during Wimbledon.
    The first week AFTER Wimbledon is usually the best week of the year for sales other than the couple of peak weeks around Xmas Lloyd.

The effect of this has diminished in recent years though with the dominance of Djokovic who is not well liked by the tennis loving public.

The peak years were when Federer, Murray, Nadal and Djokovic were at their peak.

I predicted Alcaraz to get to the final but I thought Djokovic would beat him this year.

Alcaraz is the best thing in men’s tennis since Federer, we really need another world class U.K. player though.

Young Henry Searle won the Wimbledon junior title today but unfortunately he supported the Dingles…….it may be hard to get behind him!

I think you are underestimating the quality of womens tennis. Let me just illustrate. I was captain of a mens team some years ago and when we went to play the away team we saw Anne keothavong practising in a warm up on one of the courts. (Anne was often out first round at wimbledon).
    We were completely gobsmacked at the pace and speed of the ball between these two female players. It was super fast. This was someone who you didn't get to see much because the competition is so high. These are top athletes. Honestly we will never forget what we saw and it puts completely in context the level of the quarter finalists, semi finalists and finalists. Tennis is a very tough sport. I had more injuries playing Tennis than I ever did playing football. I stopped playing when my cartilage turned inside out and I needed an op. Tore my calf muscles a lot and had a torn achilles which took months to get right. I also completely ripped out a finger nail serving. On tour they patch themselves up as much as they can but often they have to drop out with the wrong injury.

Quote Originally Posted by boingy View Post
    I think you are underestimating the quality of womens tennis. Let me just illustrate. I was captain of a mens team some years ago and when we went to play the away team we saw Anne keothavong practising in a warm up on one of the courts. (Anne was often out first round at wimbledon).
    We were completely gobsmacked at the pace and speed of the ball between these two female players. It was super fast. This was someone who you didn't get to see much because the competition is so high. These are top athletes. Honestly we will never forget what we saw and it puts completely in context the level of the quarter finalists, semi finalists and finalists. Tennis is a very tough sport. I had more injuries playing Tennis than I ever did playing football. I stopped playing when my cartilage turned inside out and I needed an op. Tore my calf muscles a lot and had a torn achilles which took months to get right. I also completely ripped out a finger nail serving. On tour they patch themselves up as much as they can but often they have to drop out with the wrong injury.
    I’ve been at ground level at the Birmingham Classic and I agree with what you say, you can barely see the ball and most of us wouldn’t return one in a hundred serves from an average women tournament player.

The point is, if you put the woman up against a man in competition it’s not even close, you’d be looking at 6-0, 6-0, 6-0.

The quality isn’t even close.

Quote Originally Posted by BARBaggies82 View Post
    That Alcaraz is some player

If he can get more of his first serves in and stops trying the odd lob that tries to knock the local aircraft out of the sky then he is gonna be unstoppable for some years to come

Great player and he thoroughly deserved to win today. Very likeable guy too which helps to get the public on your side.

Really good final and enjoyed it! Think - this kid is only 20!!!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)