+ Visit Leeds United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Our Penalty Takers

Our Penalty Takers

Whilst Bamford is out, measuring height of crossbar, who would you nominate? For me Ampadu / Piroe, poss Summerville.
    Will be interesting to see next time around, if both Bamford / Summerville not on pitch.

Remember reading after PB missed one before that researchers have shown that footballers when faced with high pressure when taking a penalty often perform "sub-optimally" & psychological factors were found to be "more" important than skill & fatigue for the success of penalty kicks.

Based on that conclusion & looking at the players on the pitch at Stoke & their personality characteristics Byram or Gray 'should' have been allowed to take it.

As for a regular penalty taker then the jury is still out for me.
    After Bamford missed the penalty the fans really rallied around Stoke, you could see how that affected their players & ours - that extra 10% coming from the stands quite crucial on the night i'm told.

Joking apart - Then our ever cheerful character Firpo when fit could fill the niche as he does strike a decent ball. 😲

we have a lot of offensive players that miss shots. To score at this level you rarely got open sitters so you do have to pick around the edges to beat the defense and keeper so it's not just based on "missing a shot". Missing a penalty is a crushing blow to their psyche. However, an "in form" striker is one of the best candidates. If I had been Strujik I would have handed the ball to Summerville.

Like MT's thought on Byram. He's a cool customer. Also like Bath's thought on Ampadu. He plays a lot (so on the pitch) and he's also steady. Does strike a good ball when he shoots from afar.

One of Piroe, Rutter, Jimmy, Struijk or Shacks - Gray seems pretty composed too

Daniel Farkes Huddersfield 25 mins press conference today YEP write up link (in case you missed it on the LUFC app earlier) where he discusses the penalty taking discussion.

He confirmed that Joel Piroe was the main penalty taker & that Jaidon Anthony was too because he's also a good record taking penalties but he was also substituted.

https://www.yorkshireeveningpost.co....nation-4388311

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)