+ Visit Burnley FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Burnley v Spurs Match Preview

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Burnley v Spurs Match Preview

While a hurricane was blowing along the South coast at the weekend, a Harry Kane was blowing through Eastlands, Manchester as the visiting Spurs side ripped up the form book and sank the title favourites with a brilliant display of counter attacking football. It was a tale of Two City’s as Pep’s side yet again had the lion’s share of possession and chances but undermined all their good work with a rare show of defensive frailty. Son and Kane were given time and space to create chances with the duo linking up for Spurs second to set a record equalling combination of 36 Premier League goals. Meanwhile Burnley were setting records of their own. A first league away win of the season. A first Premier League goal and first Burnley goal for Wout Weghorst. A first Premier League goal for Josh Brownhill. Two goals from our midfielders in one match as Aaron Lennon added a brilliant finish- was I dreaming?

Harry’s Hotspurs travel to Turf Moor on Wednesday evening still very much in contention for a top four finish but doubtless manager Antonio Conte will be expecting a very different game from the one they faced at the Etihad. Spurs are likely to have far more possession against Burnley than the 29% they enjoyed against City. Following home defeats to Southampton and Wolves the Italian has restored Eric Dier to the centre of a three man defence. Wout Weghorst will pose a very different threat from that delivered by Raheem Sterling and Phil Foden but Dier is likely to be key to Conte’s plans to nullify the Clarets attack. Burnley will surely look to Connor Roberts and Charlie Taylor, if fit ,to get forward and supply crosses into the box for Weghorst to profit from but the big Dutchman has also shown he has very quick feet which can set up chances for his team mates. Deadline day signings Dejan Kulusevski and Rodrigo Bentancur both recruited from Juventus are likely to start for Spurs at Turf Moor. Kusulevski made his mark with the opening goal against Manchester City and Burnley fans will be only too well aware of the goals Son and Kane have scored against us in previous meetings.

Burnley need to turn the screw on the other teams at the bottom of the table but can we achieve back to back wins by beating Spurs? Well, we have just had three storms on the trot Dudley, Eunice and Franklin that have wreaked havoc and chaos in their wake so perhaps consecutive victories is not too much to ask. The weather forecast indicates better days ahead with light cloud and a moderate breeze in Burnley on Wednesday evening. Hopefully no snow! The referee is Graham Scott (surely we won’t need Scott of the Antarctic!) with Stuart Attwell on VAR.

COYC!

I think we have every chance of getting something. The team is looking so different now with the new signings. If we could get an early goal, that will help. We need to, somehow, frustrate Kane and Son. Not easy but I don’t think Tottenham will be looking forward to the challenge.

When Spurs played City it was their excellent counterattacking that won the game, with City camped in their half for most of the match. With all due respect, that won't happen against you - you'll be the ones counterattacking so just by the nature of the way Dyche sets you up, you've already negated Spurs' best aspect.
    You have a chance of getting something from this.

Any point will be most welcomed, I'd like three.

Will Dyche "tinker" or will he keep the same eleven that started at Brighton?

Quote Originally Posted by The Bedlington Terrier View Post
    Will Dyche "tinker" or will he keep the same eleven that started at Brighton?
    I hope he keeps the same eleven. I think all played well. He might drop Pieters, which would be harsh. Assuming that Tarks and Westwood are not fit, I prefer he stays with Collins and Corke.

If it's nil nil at HT, we can win this.Spurs have won 5 away from home and lost 4 this season.

Quote Originally Posted by warminsterclaret View Post
    If it's nil nil at HT, we can win this.Spurs have won 5 away from home and lost 4 this season.
    I'm still trying to work that one out warminster but in the meantime I'll accept your premise

Quote Originally Posted by kritichris View Post
    I'm still trying to work that one out warminster but in the meantime I'll accept your premise
    Thank f*ck for that k_c, I've had the calculator out for 40 minutes and still haven't worked it out.

I think the prediction finished us to score first and second. Spurs drew a blank.

Thank God for Pythagoras eh!

Quote Originally Posted by warminsterclaret View Post
    I wonder if Sean used that in his half-time team talk!

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)