+ Visit Sheffield United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: message to the board

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

message to the board

back this manager or he will walk you have been warned

Wilder will be backed
    When we sell Brooks for 2 million he will get half of it

Quote Originally Posted by JJBlade View Post
    Wilder will be backed
    When we sell Brooks for 2 million he will get half of it
    VERY optimistic when you consider how much he got of the Walker and McGuire money.

Quote Originally Posted by GrayBlade View Post
    VERY optimistic when you consider how much he got of the Walker and McGuire money.
    all right - sorry for being a bit naive/stupid, but doesn't the Board have to balance the books somehow - or did they pocket this money?

Quote Originally Posted by Ayamonteblade View Post
    all right - sorry for being a bit naive/stupid, but doesn't the Board have to balance the books somehow - or did they pocket this money?
    Not naive at all Aya. A little unfashionable, but not naive.

Quote Originally Posted by FatherKnowsBest View Post
    Not naive at all Aya. A little unfashionable, but not naive.
    Oh Pops who ya havin a dig at? UTCB

Quote Originally Posted by Ayamonteblade View Post
    Good question Aya.

It’s the duty of any board of directors or owners to ensure that their business it stable and profitable, but there are certain times that they will plan ahead to take a risk and push the boat out so that it can compete with the competition. They may even have to do it at shorter notice to react into a change in the market or business opportunity. This could be investment in staff, technology or property for example, and could result in lower profits or even losses for the financial year, but the negative effect of not improving is usually stagnation, loss of business to competitors and decline.

Now I know some might say that football is in its own little (or big) cash bubble far away from the real world, but I was a senior exec at a FTSE 100 company up to 1999 with a 7 figure departmental budget, and since then I’ve run by own small business so I’ve both ends of the spectrum so to speak, and I think the general principle is the same in football away from clubs with megabucks owners.

There are times to consolidate and balance the books (or reduce losses) but every club with an ounce of ambition needs to speculate and grasp an opportunity to move forward when it presents itself. What better opportunity was there for a club to go for gold than to receive a substantial unexpected sell-on windfall when the team is near the top of the Championship and Premiere League football is the reward for success? When will we ever go for it if not this January when we’ve got the safest pair of hands running the team in decades, and how do they expect him to comptete unless the bottom 3 budget is improved?

I know everything is not black and white in football, look at Sunderland but I really think we’ve messed up again big time, and to read people on here and other forums now starting to turn missing out on promotion back to Wilder’s own performance is way off the mark and unfair IMO. If it hadn’t been for Chris we’d have been scrapping to stay up, not go up, in fact we wouldn’t even be up here to go up.
    Last edited by GrayBlade; 29-04-2018 at 10:05 PM.

Wilders throwing his toys out of the cot TBH , he did the same at Northhamton , Money doesn't always guarantee u successes , Wilders signings so far for the club haven't been the best. What gets me is that really we haven't played right since November when you know who got injured. A lot of football is about moral , confidence and momentum , once you lose this your in trouble , this same set of players were ripping teams apart before November , now they couldn't rip a paper bag apart !

Top comments Wavy.
    Quote Originally Posted by wavy_blade View Post
    Wilders throwing his toys out of the cot TBH , he did the same at Northhamton , Money doesn't always guarantee u successes , Wilders signings so far for the club haven't been the best. What gets me is that really we haven't played right since November when you know who got injured. A lot of football is about moral , confidence and momentum , once you lose this your in trouble , this same set of players were ripping teams apart before November , now they couldn't rip a paper bag apart !

Quote Originally Posted by wavy_blade View Post
    I agree with the latter part of your post wavy I said last week this is primarily the same set of players who ran amok early season bar one or two,however his dig appears to be for them (the owners) to get on the same page and provide reasonable investment ,quote "I'm not asking for 40m",just enough to move us forward having the 3rd lowest budget in the league is criminal for a club of this size I think he's just asking for a pot on terms with what others of a similar size have doin it sensibly,as for the incomings in Jan that one is a puzzle he may have thought he needed that many to cover all areas (which we mostly agreed on) but with his budget this was all he could get and did so rather than putting all the eggs in one basket,where would he have been buying one or two good players and one getting injured ? That's what being a manager is all about finding the balance,did he get it right imo no he didn't but nobody gets it right all the time even sir Alex made mistakes it's how he learns from them and moves forward that's important I think he is capable but is just asking for the opportunity

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast