+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: o/t Alternative medicines, homeopathy etc.

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

o/t Alternative medicines, homeopathy etc.

Has anybody used alternative medicine and had positive results?
    Last edited by the_idiotb_stardson; 22-09-2019 at 08:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by the_idiotb_stardson View Post
    Has anybody used alternative medicine and had positive results?
    A friend of mine was heavily into acupuncture. All was going well until he went to Rotherham baths, he sank like a stone.

As much as possible I try to use an alternative to the overpriced American healthcare system but I don't think that's what you're asking? Insurance coverage for me and one daughter is just over $1000/month but luckily my employer pays all but $32 of that. The extra costs involved if you actually have to use the insurance are laughable. e.g. prescription medications at over $1,000

No, people have had the genuine benefits a placebo brings, but nothing more, and often at far greater cost than other placebos and going into the pockets of quacks.

Not so much alternative medicine more like alternative TO medicine

Quote Originally Posted by John2 View Post
    No, people have had the genuine benefits a placebo brings, but nothing more, and often at far greater cost than other placebos and going into the pockets of quacks.
    That’s just your opinion.
    Acupuncture can certainly help for some. Also, many moons ago there used to be a herbalist up Masbrough somewhere called Walton, I think, who helped cure many people with ailments, me included, when the doc could not.

Quote Originally Posted by sota View Post
    Acupuncture can certainly help for some. Also, many moons ago there used to be a herbalist up Masbrough somewhere called Walton, I think, who helped cure many people with ailments, me included, when the doc could not.
    Here’s an interesting view

https://www.cancersupportcentre.co.u...r-acupuncture/

Quote Originally Posted by Grist_To_The_Mill View Post
    A friend of mine had this treatment. It didn't benefit him at all but about 50% of the other people attending said that they had various levels of relief from it.

He found it quite relaxing closing his eyes for 20 minutes and listening to zen music. Didn't stop or reduce his "flushes" though

Quote Originally Posted by sota View Post
    Hmm, thought I replied but it must not have submitted.

It's not my opinion, it's scientific fact. We have various methods of testing the effectiveness of treatments such as double blind trials.

Reasons people perceive that alternative medicines worked for them are well documented: the placebo effect, confirmation bias, they got better anyway and it happened to coincide with alternative medicine.

Look at the Victorian era medicine, they used to do lots of ridiculous superstitious things and the entire population near universally believed worked. It's like when you give a child a magic rub and kiss a hurty better, it's reassuring even it doesn't really do anything.

The beauty of the scientific method, which has extended all of our lives substantially, is that once any treatment has been tested and proven to have a statistically significant benefit, it ceases to become an "alternative" medicine/treatment and becomes just "medicine".

Things like yoga can be simultaneously scientifically proven to have a benefit, and nonsense at the same time. All the nonsense anti-scientific they talk about things like 'energy flows' is wrong, but the act of strengthening and stretching the muscles and dedicated commitment to exercise do have genuine physical advantages for many people.

I'd consider acupuncture or chiropractor because just like a massage there is an immediate and potentially quite satisfying physiological response, however the evidence shows that long term they just don't work, and they're not really meaningful treatments.

There is a special type of moron who spends their money on things like homeopathy.

Quote Originally Posted by John2 View Post
    a magic rub and kiss a hurty better, it's reassuring even it doesn't really do anything.
    Unless, of course it's the foreskin caught in the zip type "hurty"

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast