+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The FA Cup

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

The FA Cup

This year's FA Cup draw is being made live on BBC 2 at 7pm this Monday,who would you like given the choice,anybody but non league for me

Looks like the final will still be at Wembley as the deal to buy it has fallen through.. Maybe it's Nottm County's year Chalky mate ?

Of all the options available I would probably go for Alfreton away despite the banana skin potential. I couldn't help but notice that Dunston UTS, the lowest ranked team left in the competition got their dream draw at home to Gateshead, who play less than 4 miles away. The game has been selected for broadcast on BBC media platforms, which will give a fantastic boost to Dunston's finances. This is what the romance of the FA Cup is all about, because these days it means far more to lower league clubs than it does the big boys in the Premiership who seem to see it as an irritation.

My team is in the Premiership at the moment,maybe not at the end of the season,but I would love to see them go on an F.A. cup run ,but it never seems to happen.. To my disgust,The management just seem to play with the squad players and not the first teamers . They don't give a toss what the fans want..The FA cup has lost its way some years ago now Elite..

Quote Originally Posted by alfinyalcabo View Post
    My team is in the Premiership at the moment,maybe not at the end of the season,but I would love to see them go on an F.A. cup run ,but it never seems to happen.. To my disgust,The management just seem to play with the squad players and not the first teamers . They don't give a toss what the fans want..The FA cup has lost its way some years ago now Elite..
    Probably right, but I would say that the FA Cup has only lost it's way for clubs at the top level, who hold all the power. The lower down the leagues you go, the more the magic is still there. I will be tuning in eagerly to BBC2 at 7pm on Monday.

Quote Originally Posted by Elite_Pie View Post
    Probably right, but I would say that the FA Cup has only lost it's way for clubs at the top level, who hold all the power. The lower down the leagues you go, the more the magic is still there. I will be tuning in eagerly to BBC2 at 7pm on Monday.
    Wow...just wow....you ridicule me (plus the 1,000 plus Notts fans that turned up for the Checkatrade) and tell everyone to boycott the "tinpot trophy"....."because the big clubs have devalued it by playing their reserve teams"

When I point out that Coventry and Lincoln got behind the Checkatrade and picked up circa £500,000, spent the money on better players and advanced their teams....I'm called a whore.

NOW, it's the FA Cup and the top teams are playing their "B teams" it's different?????.......according to you it's ok for Notts to take part because of "the romance"?....I really am confused as you seem to change your mind on issues depending on what side of the bed you get out of

Quote Originally Posted by tarquinbeech View Post
    Wow...just wow....you ridicule me (plus the 1,000 plus Notts fans that turned up for the Checkatrade) and tell everyone to boycott the "tinpot trophy"....."because the big clubs have devalued it by playing their reserve teams"

When I point out that Coventry and Lincoln got behind the Checkatrade and picked up circa £500,000, spent the money on better players and advanced their teams....I'm called a whore.

NOW, it's the FA Cup and the top teams are playing their "B teams" it's different?????.......according to you it's ok for Notts to take part because of "the romance"?....I really am confused as you seem to change your mind on issues depending on what side of the bed you get out of
    What a daft post!

It's nothing to do with the big clubs playing their B teams in the Checkatrade and devaluing it ... it's because they are in there at all and it's the start of them trying to be able to enter B teams in the FL.

Of course we take part in the FA Cup - I don't think it's right that the bigger teams don't play their first team, I don't agree with playing the semis at Wembley ... but especially in the first couple of rounds, the romance is there.

Quote Originally Posted by magpie_mania View Post
    What a daft post!

It's nothing to do with the big clubs playing their B teams in the Checkatrade and devaluing it ... it's because they are in there at all and it's the start of them trying to be able to enter B teams in the FL.

Of course we take part in the FA Cup - I don't think it's right that the bigger teams don't play their first team, I don't agree with playing the semis at Wembley ... but especially in the first couple of rounds, the romance is there.
    So the "romance" is there for the first few rounds?......after that, when we end up drawn to play Newcastle or Man City U23s (unofficially), we should boycott the fixture because they are "devaluing the FA Cup"?.......got it.

Quote Originally Posted by tarquinbeech View Post

A lot of things seem to confuse you, so I'll try and explain because I haven't changed my mind one tiny little bit. The Pisspot Trophy seemed a good idea at the time it started because it gave two level 3 and 4 clubs the chance of a day out at Wembley. It never really took off, but I still used to go to the home games. The introduction of Premiership B teams changed that for the vast majority of fans, who saw it as the first step to getting them into the Football League, replacing real clubs and destroying over a century of history and tradition. A campaign for a nationwide boycott was started, and I am a firm supporter of it.

I still love the FA Cup, it seems an irrelevance to the top teams but it still retains it's magic for the lower clubs. Two very different things, and I haven't changed my mind on either in the slightest. If you are too stupid to see the difference that's your problem, not mine.

Quote Originally Posted by Elite_Pie View Post
    A lot of things seem to confuse you, so I'll try and explain because I haven't changed my mind one tiny little bit. The Pisspot Trophy seemed a good idea at the time it started because it gave two level 3 and 4 clubs the chance of a day out at Wembley. It never really took off, but I still used to go to the home games. The introduction of Premiership B teams changed that for the vast majority of fans, who saw it as the first step to getting them into the Football League, replacing real clubs and destroying over a century of history and tradition. A campaign for a nationwide boycott was started, and I am a firm supporter of it.

I still love the FA Cup, it seems an irrelevance to the top teams but it still retains it's magic for the lower clubs. Two very different things, and I haven't changed my mind on either in the slightest. If you are too stupid to see the difference that's your problem, not mine.
    OK......so it's fine for Man City or Newcastle to field their U23s against us in the FA Cup, because it's "romantic"....but it's not ok for them to field the same 11 players against us last week in the Checkatrade because some bright spark started a national boycott campaign against OFFICIAL U23 teams.

Personally I think that is a hypocritical position to take and typical of your argumentative position on most subjects.....one minute you are arguing for a position (and slagging off anyone who dares to suggest otherwise) whilst the next you are taking the opposite view....I guess it takes all sorts!!
    Last edited by tarquinbeech; 18-10-2018 at 02:42 PM.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast