+ Visit Dundee FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Buying back Dens----an option

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Buying back Dens----an option

Was involved in a few meeting's a good few years ago about that,for obvious reasons that never materialised.
    Since admin the fans have dug deep for basically every tentacle of the DFC cash octopus.Yet Dens continues to crumble whilst plans for a new stadium are still up there on cloud 9.

Mybe it's time to do what was suggested in the nelms/mcpake thread and get the idea off the ground,the money iv saved since leaving dee promotions would go into the fund along with extra cash monthly if the aim was to get the ground back.

Yes other fundraising tentacles would be hit short term for a few years or so but at the end Dens would be the fans.

Legal agreements would obviously need drawn up and dialogue with John Bennett opened.

No one should fear anything about the fans embarking on this idea and im sure the idea would be supported on all 3 fronts by fans and local business,the three fronts being

Raising the cash/ground maintenance and rates etc,these could be injected by cash received from the club via rent (which would be very favourable to our club).

Most fans have dug deep unquestioned since they saved the club,mybe it's time we directed some of our cash directly to a stadium purchase.

Lets face it if it all went wrong with the yanks how much easier would it be to get new owners in knowing the fans have saved the club twice and own the ground.

Yes the old lady isn't getting any younger but we shouldn't just sit back and allow her to crumble.

My yearly cash injection is at the lowest it has ever been even including the school years,id change that in a heartbeat if Dens was the prize

DDYB
    Last edited by shaded; 31-10-2021 at 10:07 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by shaded View Post
    Was involved in a few meeting's a good few years ago about that,for obvious reasons that never materialised.
    Since admin the fans have dug deep for basically every tentacle of the DFC cash octopus.Yet Dens continues to crumble whilst plans for a new stadium are still up there on cloud 9.

Mybe it's time to do what was suggested in the nelms/mcpake thread and get the idea off the ground,the money iv saved since leaving dee promotions would go into the fund along with extra cash monthly if the aim was to get the ground back.

Yes other fundraising tentacles would be hit short term for a few years or so but at the end Dens would be the fans.

Legal agreements would obviously need drawn up and dialogue with John Bennett opened.

No one should fear anything about the fans embarking on this idea and im sure the idea would be supported on all 3 fronts by fans and local business,the three fronts being

Raising the cash/ground maintenance and rates etc,these could be injected by cash received from the club via rent (which would be very favourable to our club).

Most fans have dug deep unquestioned since they saved the club,mybe it's time we directed some of our cash directly to a stadium purchase.

Lets face it if it all went wrong with the yanks how much easier would it be to get new owners in knowing the fans have saved the club twice and own the ground.

Yes the old lady isn't getting any younger but we shouldn't just sit back and allow her to crumble.

My yearly cash injection is at the lowest it has ever been even including the school years,id change that in a heartbeat if Dens was the prize

DDYB
    It's the limbo land I can't stand, not a spade in the ground at campy, no improvements at Dens......were we not supposed to be in in the Spring?

The owners imho have to be more upfront.....if they ain't expecting the ground to go ahead and they want nothing to do with buying Dens......they should say so to give the supporters a chance at what would be a monumental fund raising campaign.

Quote Originally Posted by Returnofrros View Post
    It's the limbo land I can't stand, not a spade in the ground at campy, no improvements at Dens......were we not supposed to be in in the Spring?

The owners imho have to be more upfront.....if they ain't expecting the ground to go ahead and they want nothing to do with buying Dens......they should say so to give the supporters a chance at what would be a monumental fund raising campaign.
    agreed mate

Agree with you and shaded, but how do we start a fund raising campaign ?
    Through supporters clubs, or wait until Tim Keyes makes an appearance ?
    It's difficult as it is to get any dialogue with John Nelms.

Quote Originally Posted by deecom View Post
    Agree with you and shaded, but how do we start a fund raising campaign ?
    Through supporters clubs, or wait until Tim Keyes makes an appearance ?
    It's difficult as it is to get any dialogue with John Nelms.
    I enclose the article from the Scotsman newspaper where John Nelms stated that FPS intended to buy back Dens Park from John Bennett with the Supporters Society purchasing it. https://www.scotsman.com/regions/us-...vision-1574203
    Interestingly John Nelms also mentions in the article that he was present at a near full Dens Park for a pre season friendly in August 2012 against United which proved that there was a large Dundee FC support.
    In my opinion John Nelms did not do his homework otherwise he would have discovered that a lot of ‘one game Charlie’s’ supporting both Dundee and United attend derby matches between both clubs.
    I do not remember this game being played let alone it being a pre season friendly.
    However if it did take place then there was another simple reason for the large attendance. It was Dundee FC’s first time back in the Premier League as Club 12 since we were relegated at the end of the 2004-5 season.

Quote Originally Posted by islaydarkblue View Post
    I enclose the article from the Scotsman newspaper where John Nelms stated that FPS intended to buy back Dens Park from John Bennett with the Supporters Society purchasing it. https://www.scotsman.com/regions/us-...vision-1574203
    Interestingly John Nelms also mentions in the article that he was present at a near full Dens Park for a pre season friendly in August 2012 against United which proved that there was a large Dundee FC support.
    In my opinion John Nelms did not do his homework otherwise he would have discovered that a lot of ‘one game Charlie’s’ supporting both Dundee and United attend derby matches between both clubs.
    I do not remember this game being played let alone it being a pre season friendly.
    However if it did take place then there was another simple reason for the large attendance. It was Dundee FC’s first time back in the Premier League as Club 12 since we were relegated at the end of the 2004-5 season.
    Islay, it is great to have historically accurate comments from you, however, I think most of us are worried about the possible future actions of our owners. Is it possible to create a case for them buying Dens?

Quote Originally Posted by BCram View Post
    Islay, it is great to have historically accurate comments from you, however, I think most of us are worried about the possible future actions of our owners. Is it possible to create a case for them buying Dens?
    I know that a former director of DFCSS prepared a business case for the buy back of Dens Park which was given to John Nelms. Sadly John Nelms was not interested despite what he had told Alan Patullo on 23rd May 2013.
    Deeranged has already touched on this subject in a previous post in the McPake/Yanks topic.

I do not understand why FPS are happy to pay an annual rental of Dens Park to Sandeman Properties which was £65k in 2018, £71k in 2019 and £78k in 2020.
    According to the Dundee Football Club annual accounts for the year ending 31st May 2020 the total annual rental payable until the end of the lease will be £1,147,804 https://d1ssu070pg2v9i.cloudfront.ne...unt-201920.pdf
    See Item 13 - Operating leases.
    Item 16 - Related Party transactions makes even more worrying reading.

Any idea what the cost would be, and if the owner (presumably John Bennet) would facilitate such a purchase?

Quote Originally Posted by parcbara View Post
    Any idea what the cost would be, and if the owner (presumably John Bennet) would facilitate such a purchase?
    heard a few different costs mate,i think JB would be more than happy to get whatever his price would be and even happier if it was a fans effort

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)