The league cup has always been second fiddle to the FA cup. For starters it's a relative newcomer, only started in 60-61; has had numerous name changes as sponsors have changed which hasn't helped it achieve any status; and it lacks the potential for non-league giant-killing that makes the FA Cup so magical.

That said, the EFL does have its plus points: no replays to clog up fixture lists, semi-finals played over two legs at each participants home ground (shame on the FA for moving FA Cup semis to Wembley), and perhaps most importantly, the winners qualify for the EUFA Cup.

I've no problem at all with the big boys or any other clubs for that matter playing youth/fringe players in the EFL. That's their choice and its why clubs have squads. Its not something I like to see in the FA Cup, but thats probably just me being nostalgic. Agree with Redsarebest, it's the manager's call and if it goes pear-shaped, then the fans know who to blame (if they're interested). Personally I'd be chuffed to bits if we had a good EFL cup run. Wouldn't bother me if it was a different set of faces to the regular starting eleven, it's still The Reds.