I don't think we need an academy.

Yes there's a bit of " we're a big club so must have one" mentality about it however current transfer habits negate its usefulness.

If we unearth a decent youngster his prospects are continuously blighted by permanent and loan signings for the first team that are shunted into the reserves. Price and Purrington for example.

Add to this the lack of a meaningful reserve match league with regular games so that youngsters can be " blooded" into the real world if league 1 football. Yes we can be brave and put youngsters on the bench but would Warne ever put a youngster on the pitch other than for 15 minute subs appearance? I think not.

Maybe you can point at Yates as an example if somebody progressing but He's hardly a future £1 million player is he?

Note also how a reasonably young JCH hit the brick wall of development with us.

I think the academy should be abandoned and some of the savings put into experienced scouts dotted about the country to spot players that can do a job for us but might be coming up for contract renewal or feel blocked at their current club. For example Ipswich signed Moore for a pittance but how did they know he was worth a punt?