Just when you think everything is geared towards a top two finish we have a wobble , a couple of back to back wins and then a home draw or one of these inept away performances as many witnessed today and at Coventry .

At times this season we are unplayable and in others we look ordinary in large parts .

This in my opinion is what you get with young players , games like today when it's not going right find you out when you haven't a couple of solid experienced pros out on the park getting young players heads right and inspiring them .

Winning ugly gets you automatic promotion and not the champagne wins at Peterborough .

I can still vividly recall the last team we had who gained automatic promotion from this league in 80/81 , some games weren't pretty , tight 1-0 wins at Exeter , a narrow 2-1 victory over Blackpool etc etc .

Playing poorly but getting the wins , Pompey seem to be doing this very well this season .

Flattering to deceive at times for me because when it's good it's bloody good but we have to start winning ugly or it's the play off lottery for us this season .